DD-WRT for Ubiquiti Airrouter HP

mstoltzfus97
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:11    Post subject: DD-WRT for Ubiquiti Airrouter HP Reply with quote
I have recently been given an Ubiquiti Airrouter HP that was thought to have been trash but was quickly fixed with a 30-30-30 reset.

Anyway, I am really wanting to load DD-WRT onto it, because I have worked DD-WRT quite a few times before, though all with Linksys routers, so I am exploring some new territory.
I have searched up and down and through the window for DD-WRT but am always coming up empty with results regarding the Airrouter HP.

So, to kick things off, I headed to the supported devices page in the wiki and saw that the original Airrouter was supported with commercial/business/professional activation. (a sidenote here that I did find out that OpenWRT is alive and well on both versions of the Airrouter and the builds are cross-compatible) So finding that the original Airrouter was supported raised some questions as to if the Airrouter HP was the same way as OpenWRT. I understand that the hardware in the two aforementioned routers is almost identical, except for 2 chips, so I threw this into the equation. But I still couldn't find any clear-cut answers as to if/how I could actually install DD-WRT on any one of these routers, so that is what I am looking for - a clear-cut answer. Is there some sort of secret post somewhere that I happened to miss in regards to this/these routers or do I have to shell out ~$40 for an Activation key, or should I go fly a kite. (I do realize that the Ubiquiti Airrouters are several years old, so that could be a cause for a shortage of answers)

Another quick thing, I did do a (thorough) search of the Ubiquiti forum and could only find threads on errors regarding flashing DD-WRT through TFTP, but again, details were very sketchy (and speaking of TFTP, if there is a build compatible with the Airrouter, will I be able to flash it via the firmware upgrade page like I could do with OpenWRT or will I have to walk into the murkier waters of TFTP?).

I really would like to run DD-WRT on this router, as I have much experience in configuring it from previous routers, but I am tempted to just flash OpenWRT if I can find any real good answers regarding the flashing.

Again, did I miss something that was parked in plain sight, or am I one of the only ones who is toying with this router. In the meantime, I shall keep searching: who knows what may turn up in the next few hours/days/weeks. I'M PRETTY DESPERATE to satisfy my customizing urge on this router.

One last note: I know that this is my first post and all, but I have never had to ask a question before, as I usually can find answers, so please, bear with me, I'm not being lazy, so please don't send me off to the forum terms. I've read them and have tried hard to make this post follow them (the posting rules). I'm a noob when it comes to the DD-WRT forums but I have to say I'm pretty experienced with actually running DD-WRT.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
read the stickies
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
which one? the only ones i see are a Ubiquiti no wifi tab sticky and the volume quota radius server. Or which sticky are you talking about?
chekesote
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash instructions here:

www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45474
are obsolete or doesn't apply for airrouter hp, you need to follow this instructions from ubiquiti in order to flash with dd-wrt:

wiki.ubnt.com/Firmware_Recovery
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
it is super simple to get dd-wrt installed on the airrouter-HP.

All you need to do is connect a laptop to one of the LAN ports, then open a web browser and connect to http://192.168.1.1

The default username/password is ubnt/ubnt

then on the administration tab click firmware upgrade.

Make sure you are using the AR-DD-WRT.bin file not the web upgrade.

After that you should have access to the dd-wrt ui, I currently have a ticket in with SVN as dnsmasq is not handing out IP address properly for DHCP, but if you static IP your laptop to 192.168.1.5 you can access the device. Then uncheck use dnsmasq for DHCP until the bug is fixed.

I have had it work on and off, once you enable the WAN port on the air router, and reboot, however 50% of the time dnsmasq fails to give an ip address.

This bug I found is only on NEW installations of dd-wrt to the device, it works if you have a working air router and upgrade firmware.
mstoltzfus97
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks you all for the help!!! I think I found the firmware file, which I have been hunting for for the last couple months.
mstoltzfus97
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
it is super simple to get dd-wrt installed on the airrouter-HP.

All you need to do is connect a laptop to one of the LAN ports, then open a web browser and connect to http://192.168.1.1

The default username/password is ubnt/ubnt

then on the administration tab click firmware upgrade.

Make sure you are using the AR-DD-WRT.bin file not the web upgrade.

After that you should have access to the dd-wrt ui, I currently have a ticket in with SVN as dnsmasq is not handing out IP address properly for DHCP, but if you static IP your laptop to 192.168.1.5 you can access the device. Then uncheck use dnsmasq for DHCP until the bug is fixed.

I have had it work on and off, once you enable the WAN port on the air router, and reboot, however 50% of the time dnsmasq fails to give an ip address.

This bug I found is only on NEW installations of dd-wrt to the device, it works if you have a working air router and upgrade firmware.

One question for you - I got DD-WRT installed successfully (with TFTP because I felt like it) but it is asking for activation. Will I have to shell out ~$$$ for Activation or will it work fine? What did you do? Also, I want to use the router as a Repeater/Bridge but that mode is not availible. Is that a Pro feature or does this router just not support it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: