DNS Masq question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
big-d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:35    Post subject: DNS Masq question Reply with quote
Hello,

I want to continue using the router for DNS and DHCP but I also have a Active Directory Server. How can I have the router hand out the IP of the AD server for the secondary DNS so the clients can see the AD server. Or is there a better way to accomplish this? I know before DNSMaq was added all i had to do was add the AD servers IP into one of the static DNS fields on the router. How would I accomplish this using DNSMasq?

Thanks!
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 20:00    Post subject: any replies? Reply with quote
I'm also interested in the answer to this question. I prefer not to run DNS on SBS 2003 because if my server goes down I would like to still have internet access without needing to touch any client machines. Here is the microsoft article, but of course it doesn't mention anything about *nix systems:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/81a63dd1-1509-4e8c-8f70-8cc61e09bf661033.mspx?mfr=true

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:19    Post subject: dnsmasq active directory problem solved Reply with quote
ensure that you are in fact using dnsmasq for DNS and DHCP... that part is covered elsewhere in this forum, then go to Administrator --> Services and adjust these settings:

DNSMasq : Enable
Local DNS: Enable

Additional DNS Options:
Code:
srv-host=_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.yourdomain.com,servername.yourdomain.com,389

I know this works for XP Pro client machines... I'm not sure if anything else is required for Win2k client machines. Also, you will need to manually maintain your list of domain controllers. I think there's a way to have DNS dynamically maintain your list of domain controllers, but I only have one so I don't need to get that deep into it. Good Luck!
asklucas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
o As far as I know, Micro$oft Active Directory requires to use the Micro$oft DNS Server Service.
o You must not use a non-Micro$oft DNS-Server if you use Active Directory.
o Maybe you even need to use the Micro$oft DHCP Server Service, but I'm not sure about this. Try it!
o Without Active Directory you have no domain.
o You can add another Windows Server 2003 and let the Micro$oft DNS Server Service run there as a fail-back. This does not need to be a Small Business Server.

Ciao,
Lucas.
Johonn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if you ever got this working but i had to add into Additional DNS Options

address=/DCName.YourDomain.com/IPAddress
srv-host=_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.YourDomain.com,DCName.YourDomain.com,389
shredder2004
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wasn't sure if I had to post a new topics for this, I thoughts it was kinda related to this thread so:

I have my own DNS server, I don't wanna use the "built-in" DNS server in DDWRT, so here where I'm kinda lost:

If I don't wann use the router's DNS but onyl wanna use the static DNS given to the router, should I turn off the DNSMask ?
jclemons3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone got this working? I added the address line which executed but when I go to add the srv line I get an error
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: