Speed Problem - Not 50% RB Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
brickedone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 0:19    Post subject: Speed Problem - Not 50% RB Issue Reply with quote
Setup:
Linksys WRV54G running native (upgraded) firmware broadcasting SSID1
WRT54G v3.1 running DD-WRT v24 SP2 in Repeater Bridge mode broadcasting SSID2
Primary use of the RB is to connect wired devices in another room to network and internet wirelessly, although SSID1 gets a little weak so added SSID2 for wireless devices to jump to when SSID1 fades
All devices are 802.11g, and the router and RB are both set to use G-only.

Issue:
Download / Upload speed when connected to main router (wired or wirelessly via SSID1) is 8-9 Mbps / 0.45 Mpbs
D / U speed when connected through RB (wired devices or wirelessly via SSID2) is 0.2-0.3 Mbps / 0.3-0.4 Mbps

Tried digging around online, don't want to waste the community's time and all, but just can't seem to find any good solution. Read a few suggestions re: setting a fixed transmission rate, but other posters seemed to vigorously disagree.

On a side-note, not a fan of broadcasting my SSIDs, will the RB suffer any performance lag if I disable broadcast of SSID1 on router?

Thanks in advance,

Brickedone
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with the peacock announcement. Notes 1 and 3 could both be relevant.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
brickedone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Murrkf.

Re-read the intro threads (again). Updated to build 14929, and I'm seeing a significant improvement in transmission speeds. Wired clients of RB now up to full speed.

Wireless client also improved significantly, but wireless clients are maxing out at 3-4 Mbps on download vs 8-9 Mbps for wired clients and clients connecting direct through the router. Any ideas?

I don't see why this would be impacted by the 50% bandwidth split for RB mode, since the 802.11g connection should have plenty of bandwidth to carry 9 Mbps from the router to RB and simultaneously another 9 Mbps from the RB to the wireless client.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: