ad-blocking with DD-WRT revisited (simple)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes...

Didn't you examine the latest script?
If you have stor=/opt/etc in the script you should place the whitelist there...
So /opt/etc/dlhosts.exclude
This file should only contain the domains.

The blacklist itself is downloaded from a 3rd party

It will also add the contents of /opt/etc/hosts to the file....

You can point stor= to another location.....

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Sponsor
es1013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:48    Post subject: biss hosts manager and modified hosts - my method Reply with quote
This is a manual method of customizing the hosts file from mvps. This is more time consuming and far less elegant than frater's method. I'll just post it anyway for those that might be curious. This assumes you're using windows.

Download the hosts file from mvps (or other source). Put it in your \etc\ dir. Open up BISS hosts manager. Add and remove any entries. I use the "always include" and "always exclude" features. Essentially, this creates a blacklist and whitelist of specified domains (stored as separate files in the program dir of BISS). Later, when you append a new hosts file, BISS will automatically apply the domains from the two lists - adding or removing whatever's necessary.

After polishing up hosts, I upload it to my own personal webserver. My adblock script is modified to point to this location, rather than mvps.org. So the router pulls the modified hosts straight from my webserver.

One question I have is: how do I get the router to download and apply the modified hosts immediately? I reboot the router, and wait a few hours or days, but it doesn't always take it right away. I guess I have to issue the "killall -HUP dnsmasq" command?
jumran
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi frater,

Does this script work on your Asus RT-N16 running kernel 2.6 DD-wrt? I can't seem to get it to work as none of the blacklisted sites are being redirected by the host file.
watice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
the script on the front page, on my router, creates a dlhosts file in /tmp that resolves the ad urls to 127.0.0.1, not to the server running pixelserv even tho i entered a different ip in _rogue= .. is this normal?
bullethead67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 20:47    Post subject: Hotspot login loop Reply with quote
I have been looking into this adblock thing. The generic version without pixelserv is fine i just have a notice on the sign in page that you will get errors until you use firefox with adblock. The problem i am having is i get a login loop that wont let anyone by. I can sign in. It says im signed in. but when it tries to go to a webpage after that it just displays the login page repeatedly. I had this occur after i put everything in then saved. I had not rebooted so i dont think the startup script has a problem. It may have something to do with the addn-hosts=/tmp/dlhosts that i have in Additional DNSMasq Options. I do have it running again now but it required a reboot. The problem does come back and could be triggered by a momentary loss of internet. I dont really know. If anyone has suggestions I would welcome them. I really like the ability to block ads as i have very limited bandwidth for everyone to share. 500 Megs a day on Hughesnet for 10 people doesnt go far.
I am using sputnik hotspot with QOS if that makes a difference.
jumran
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use Optware and it makes everything much simpler. All you have to do is enable pixelserv and it automatically creates all scrip files, DNS Masq settings, etc and routes all adds to a pixelserv id serving transparent gif to cover the ads.
TxITGuy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed that some ads are starting to get by these past couple of months?

More specifically, Yahoo ads. The last update to the Hosts file from MVPS.org was on July 15 and I was hoping these new servers would be included but were not. I have used the SysInternals suite to catch a few and add them to an Access Restriction as a temporary fix but it seems there are too many of these to track down this way.

I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?? Thoughts?
aviad_ra
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
TxITGuy: The only thought i can offer is that (insert super shameless self promotion) my script enables you to block domains instead of relying on host level blocking.

Try it out if you want, its on my site here.

BTW it will both use the MVPS list and the YoYo list in addition to your personal list of domains, so assuming you do want to block the entire domain, IMHO it should be perfect for you.

Good luck Smile
TxITGuy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
aviad_ra wrote:
TxITGuy: The only thought i can offer is that (insert super shameless self promotion) my script enables you to block domains instead of relying on host level blocking.

Try it out if you want, its on my site here.

BTW it will both use the MVPS list and the YoYo list in addition to your personal list of domains, so assuming you do want to block the entire domain, IMHO it should be perfect for you.

Good luck Smile

I appreciate it but I'd rather stick to Frater's code. I've been using it since its inception and besides the latest Yahoo antics, it has worked well for me.

Edit: I did not load your code and will stay with what I have.

Last edited by TxITGuy on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:54; edited 1 time in total
aviad_ra
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
TxITGuy: NP to each his own...
but as you now have tried my script, could you give some feedback of your experience with it?
Ronnie_USA
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
How often does the host file get updated?
Because the MVPS Hosts File was updated yesterday.
Do we have to reboot to get that update?

With frater's simple ad-blocking script
aviad_ra
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnie_USA: if you have used my guide and you have decided to put it in cron as descried, the update performed once every 3 days.

without the cron part, yes you need to reboot... but i have deliberately delayed the update so that the files will be at least 3 days old before the router will refresh them if they already exists to save on flash erosion.

so if you want them updated NOW... you will have to manually delete them or wait 3 days...
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnie_USA wrote:

If you are using Fraters code, reboot the router and it will get updated.
Ronnie_USA
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
RCShadows wrote:
Ronnie_USA wrote:

Yes, that's the one I used.

With frater's simple ad-blocking script
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnie_USA wrote:
RCShadows wrote:
Ronnie_USA wrote:

Yes, that's the one I used.

I have my router set to reboot automatically each night. That way, if an update comes out, I get it Wink
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: