Finally "bricked" my WRT310n, looking for some gui

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
annihillation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having the same issue too. Router responses to tftp, and TTL = 100, until power cycle, then no ping response. I am able to flash it, but the firmware doesn't hold. Ive tried both firmwares, the one on this page, and one from the new database feature.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which versions did you flash onto what. What timing steps did you try?

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
dvs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
The peacock thread has now been linked to this thread. If people wish to add addtional information on the timing of tftp, I hope it will be alright to add it to this thread.

Great summary Donny, gives insight as to what the router is doing.

Thanks for linking up thread to the Peacock thread.

Last edited by dvs on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:59; edited 1 time in total
dvs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
annihillation wrote:
I am having the same issue too. Router responses to tftp, and TTL = 100, until power cycle, then no ping response. I am able to flash it, but the firmware doesn't hold. Ive tried both firmwares, the one on this page, and one from the new database feature.

Any ideas?

Also what router do you have? Try the procedure in my post above "WooooHoooo!!!!" hopefully it'll put your router in the management mode and then you'll be able to tftp successfully.
dr14
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 14:00    Post subject: :-) Reply with quote
Okay at first:
Big thanks to mariush, dvs and donny.

I had the same problems discribed by dvs on my WRT150N v1.1

Solution:
like discribed by dvs in his post!

Quote:

1. Perform a continuous ping on 192.168.1.1 using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10". You'll see something like "Destination Host Unreachable" because you haven't yet plugged in the router.
2. Press and hold the reset button and plug in the router. You'll see response on the ping (ttl=100)and the power LED should start and continue flashing.
3. Let go of the reset button. The power LED should continue flashing and you should continue to get ping response. If it doesn't, unplug the router and repeat step 1&2, this time hold the reset button a bit longer (approx. 5 sec.)

Now the router is in a state to receive a tftp at your leisure.

Differences:
- changing the network port to 10mbs and half-duplex DID NOT work for me. so it worked in regular/auto mode.
- had to tftp to the Linksys Firmware http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/WRT150N_V1.0.19_fw.zip, DD-WRT didn't work for me. I tried dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin(2009-01-30) http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download.php?file=259
and dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin (2009-01-30)http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download.php?file=260
- after tftp to Linksys firmware ( I almost couldn'd believe - the router rebooted (ping(-)) then several seconds ping(+) and TTL=100 and after another some seconds ping(-) it came back with ping TTL=64.
Web-interface was directly usable. (I did not have to tftp the same firmware twice like previously reported by mariush)

thanks again dvs!
dvs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
glad I could be of help!!

Perhaps with the WRT150, similar to what I read on a version of the WRT54G, it needed to have a model specific header in the firmware file.
annihillation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24-sp1/Consumer/Linksys/WRT310N/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin

Im able to tftp it just fine. (done so successfully 6 times) But it stays at a TTL of 100. The firmware never sticks. After powercycle, it loses the flash, and power led stays lite (no blinking), and unable to ping. If i do a 30-30-30, im able to ping again, and update flash. After 30/30/30, i still get no successful pings.

Any different firmwares i should try?
LordFlux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:13    Post subject: Re: WooooHoooo!!!! Reply with quote
dvs wrote:

1. Perform a continuous ping on 192.168.1.1 using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10". You'll see something like "Destination Host Unreachable" because you haven't yet plugged in the router.
2. Press and hold the reset button and plug in the router. You'll see response on the ping (ttl=100)and the power LED should start and continue flashing.
3. Let go of the reset button. The power LED should continue flashing and you should continue to get ping response. If it doesn't, unplug the router and repeat step 1&2, this time hold the reset button a bit longer (approx. 5 sec.)

Now the router is in a state to receive a tftp at your leisure.

I just bricked my WRT150Nv1.1 trying out the latest BS build and the method above worked perfectly. Before attempting this method, I tried multiple times to try and 'catch' the router when booting up to TFTP in the Linksys firmware. It would appear to work, but it would never actually update.

Holding down the reset button while powering on, then releasing when the power light flashes was the solution. The firmware took this time and I'm back up and running. Thank you!
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
annihillation wrote:
I've tried: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24-sp1/Consumer/Linksys/WRT310N/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin

Im able to tftp it just fine. (done so successfully 6 times) But it stays at a TTL of 100. The firmware never sticks. After powercycle, it loses the flash, and power led stays lite (no blinking), and unable to ping. If i do a 30-30-30, im able to ping again, and update flash. After 30/30/30, i still get no successful pings.

See the peacock thread sticky. Start with 11296.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
dvs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
annihillation wrote:

Have you tried my procedure in an earlier post? If it stays at a TTL of 100 after the firmware then according to Donny's summary the tftp was not successful.

The trick is to get it into a waiting state for accepting the tftp. Either you continuously try and hopefully get lucky in terms of timing OR you try my procedure to get it into the approriate state.
Fylke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Bricked Asus WL500W with ttl100 Reply with quote
I'm having the same problem as described above. Router no longer responds to ping except on reboot if I've done the 30/30/30 dance. Then, and only then, it will answer three or four pings with ttl100.

The problem is that regardless of if I let go of the restore button when the ping replies come, the power LED doesn't start flashing, it just stays off. This means that when I start a TFTP transfer I manage to get at most two data packets before the router stops responding again.

I'm also unsure about what firmware I should try to upload, reading this thread seems to suggest that I should go for a .bin firmware (in my case dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mega.bin). Is this really what I should do? I shouldn't go for the dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mini_asus.trx?

I have an Asus WL-500W and is using Linux with the following commands for flashing:

echo -e "binary\nrexmt 1\ntimce\nput dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mega.bin\n" | tftp 192.168.1.1

atftp --trace --option "timeout 1" --option "mode octet" --put --local-file dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mega.bin 192.168.1.1

The latter says this between retries, but googling it didn't make me any wiser:

sent WRQ <file: dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mega.bin, mode: octet <timeout: 1>>
source port mismatch, check bypassedtimeout: retrying...
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 0:14    Post subject: Re: Bricked Asus WL500W with ttl100 Reply with quote
Fylke wrote:
I have an Asus WL-500W and is using Linux with the following commands for flashing:

Go to the install wiki for the WL500W and read the three threads linked at the top of the guide. You will likely be looking into a serial erase of the nvram. But read carefully and try what is stated in those threads. Pay particular attention to Pock's thread.
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:54    Post subject: WRT300N Version 1 bricked Reply with quote
I have exactly the same problem like the one described in this thread. I only get two pings with TTL=100 when the router boots up.

I tried TFTP'ing the mini_wrt300n.bin from this site http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/downloads.html and also tried the original firmware from this site: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT300N/download and the firmware doesn't stick in. I repeated these procedure over and over and I always get the same result (no webgui access, 2 ttl=100 pings upon reboot, solid light on power led and port 4 led where the pc is connected, all other lights off).

It seems that this router doesn't have management mode, so the procedure stated above where you press the reset button while powering up the router doesn't work.

What else could I do to solve this problem?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the wiki for the correct .bin for your router, and read the peacock thread. Note 11 in partiucular. But read other useful bits too.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
actually i was really following note 11 on the peacock guide which still gives me unsatisfactory results.

when you say correct .bin for my router, do you refer to the file that will unbrick the modem?

i'm pretty sure that the .bin files I've used in the links i've posted above are compatible with my wrt300n v1. i'm a little bit confused when you said look for the correct .bin file in the wiki?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: