Finally "bricked" my WRT310n, looking for some gui

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:
when you say correct .bin for my router, do you refer to the file that will unbrick the modem?

i'm pretty sure that the .bin files I've used in the links i've posted above are compatible with my wrt300n v1. i'm a little bit confused when you said look for the correct .bin file in the wiki?

I think Murrkf is referring that this thread is about a 310n not a 300n. Wink

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think that's what he was referring to.

Well, even though it's for a 310n, it still the same problem.
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
is the "short pin 15 and 16" a good way to unbrick a wrt300n v1?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:
actually i was really following note 11 on the peacock guide which still gives me unsatisfactory results.

when you say correct .bin for my router, do you refer to the file that will unbrick the modem?

i'm pretty sure that the .bin files I've used in the links i've posted above are compatible with my wrt300n v1. i'm a little bit confused when you said look for the correct .bin file in the wiki?

According to the supported devices wiki, the v.1 has a big question mark. The v.1.1 should be flashed with a special build. I am not sure that the one that you are using is compatible with your router. Obviously, it has to be to work. It appears that the v.1 has a different processor than the v1.1.

So, what I said was that you have to make sure that the bin you are flashing is the correct one for your exact router. I would not just download something with the same name as the router and try to install it. See if there is a wiki article for that specific router.

Why are you asking about unbricking? Pin shorting is never a good idea.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, when you type in wrt300n v1 in the download section in dd-wrt.com, the files show up there as compatible with the router. i've used dd-wrt with this router for quite a while (std build) and when i tried to flash v24sp1 micro into it, it went bricked.

i'm asking about unbricking because i have a bricked router at my side now. i think i'm going to jtag it.

my problem is where can i find the jtag pinouts for the v1? i cant seem to find it anywhere? and does it have a guide on how to do the jtag process?

i know how to jtag cable modems, but not linksys routers, but with a guide i think it would be pretty easy.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:
and when i tried to flash v24sp1 micro into it, it went bricked.

Yup, that was a very bad thing, from several perspectives.

Check the jtag pinouts sticky, and see if there is wiki info. Barryware is familiar with the jtag on the v1.1...says it is tiny. Not sure if it is the same on your unit. Perhaps post a picture of the mobo.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, will do, probably tomorrow (it's 12AM) in our place.

I think barryware will be able to help me because i've read in another thread that he was able to help a hfelsh with the same problem as mine since he also has a wrt300n v1 router. He sent his router to barryware and he was able to JTAG it without any problems.

Is micro not supported by the v1? Because I saw that it is supported that's why I flashed it over. Flashing was successful but when I reset the router, it went bricked.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:

Is micro not supported by the v1? Because I saw that it is supported that's why I flashed it over. Flashing was successful but when I reset the router, it went bricked.

Where did you see micro was supported? My understanding is that you should not put micro on an N router. Are you sure you don't mean "mini"?

Barryware will help. He's good at this type of thing.

kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
when i type "wrt300n" here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html and choose the v1.0, the micro_generic.bin shows below which I presume that it is compatible.

Yes, I'm sure it's micro. Well, the WRT300N is an N router right?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:
when i type "wrt300n" here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html and choose the v1.0, the micro_generic.bin shows below which I presume that it is compatible.

Yes, I'm sure it's micro. Well, the WRT300N is an N router right?

Yes, that's an N router. I cannot say for sure that micro is not supported, but you might be the one finding out. I just know that as a general rule, you need to use a lot of caution before flashing micro on any N device.

You might want to report this to the sticky on the router database in the general forum. Although they are still recomending sp1??

kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this:

the right pinout?

I noticed that those are the pinouts for the router pcb itself. That is one end of the cable, my problem is the other end of the cable (where it connects to a db15 connector). What pin number of the db15 is the nTRST, TDI, TD0, TMS, TCK, nSRST, GND, and FLOAT?

Sorry for being a noob.
happyoutkast
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:58    Post subject: Re: WooooHoooo!!!! YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! Reply with quote
dvs wrote:
As the title implies, it's ALIVE!!!!!

Thanks for all your help especially Donny.

You were right it was all about the timing of the tftp.

OK, here's what finally worked.

Based on my post above, pressing the reset button while plugging in the power will put the router into a state where it's ready and waiting for the tftp.

Here's the symptoms that you'll see.

1. Perform a continuous ping on 192.168.1.1 using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10". You'll see something like "Destination Host Unreachable" because you haven't yet plugged in the router.
2. Press and hold the reset button and plug in the router. You'll see response on the ping (ttl=100)and the power LED should start and continue flashing.
3. Let go of the reset button. The power LED should continue flashing and you should continue to get ping response. If it doesn't, unplug the router and repeat step 1&2, this time hold the reset button a bit longer (approx. 5 sec.)

Now the router is in a state to receive a tftp at your leisure.

This worked on my WRT310N, I presume that it'll also work on other Linksys routers.

Perhaps we can add this to the Peacock thread because there are alot of posts where people tftp unsuccessfully, presumably due to the incorrect timing of starting the tftp. Their results would be the same as mine, with a success message on the tftp but the power LED would continuously flash until the cows come home, then when they give up in ultimate frustration and power cycle the router hoping for miracels, they still wind up with a non-working router.

This will avoid the timing issue and make a whole lot of peeps much happier.

Ok, I had to add something here. There's no real "clear" steps detailing exactly what to do when you somehow messed up and halfway bricked your router. Below I include the exact steps and firmware used on a WRT310N router.

Symptoms:

1. power light blinks and then goes solid, Destination host unreachable on ping at this stage. No Web GUI whatsoever.

2. Upon Reboot and using the Ping command in the quote above you get a response with a TTL=100 meaning that the CFS bootloader is responding. after about 5 or 6 responses it goes back to "request timed out".

3. Only 1 ethernet port is lit (assuming you have an ethernet cable plugged into a computer of some kind)

if you have these same symptoms then try this, it finally worked after reading peacock, install wiki, and this thread..

Step 1. Download the Brainslayer build of the DD-WRT firmware. It can be found at ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/080509/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin (this is the 05/08/2009 build, other builds may work but this is the only one I used).

Step 2. I'm not sure if this is essential, but is what I tried after many, many, many failed attempts with tftp2 gui and dvs' method of flashing. Anyway, reboot the router using a 30/30/30 hard reset method.

step 3. after that, bring up two command prompt windows by going to the start menu>run and type cmd
then do it again.

Step 4. Start pinging the crap out of your router using the Ping command listed in the quote above.
In the second command prompt window, navigate to the directory where you downloaded the firmware file and type tftp -i 192.168.2.1 put dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt310n.bin (assuming you're using the same file version and name as me and that you're in the folder where you downloaded the firmware file)

DO NOT HIT ENTER in this window, we just want to get it ready.

Step 5. keeping both command prompt windows up, one to watch the ping, click on the other and be ready to hit enter. Then unplug your router for about 5-10 seconds and plug it back in. AS SOON as you start getting a ping response (should be TTL=100, if not then STOP), hit enter on the command prompt window. It should say successfully uploaded.

Step 6. Go smoke a cigarette, do some shots, a bong hit, grocery shopping, whatever, just give the thing about 10 to 15 minutes to think.

Step 7. Do a 30/30/30 hard reset

Step 8. Check your ping, if yours does what mine did then it will be TTL=100 and then go timed out again. Get the Tftp2 GUI client ready if you haven't downloaded it already. Enter 192.168.1.1 in the server field, leave password blank, then browse to your firmware file and select it.

Step 9. Reboot the router using DVS' method above EXACTLY with 1 exception:

after plugging in the router keep the reset button held down until you see the light for your ethernet port you're using light up on the router. The INSTANT that bad boy lights up, let off the reset button and hit upload on the TFTP2 client.

IF ALL GOES WELL (this is what nobody bothered to explain) you will see the router ping a few more times with TTL=100 in the results, go timed out, you will see the router reboot about 2 or 3 times and during this time the router will go between getting ping responses with TTL=100 and not responding. This should happen about 2 or 3 times, on the final boot up you should see a ping response with TTL=64.

If you get TTL of 64 in your ping responses....do your little victory dance and get back to drinkin' with your buddies after you posted what different things you did to fix your little problem in the forum.

If you get TTL=100.....try starting back over at step 7, or 1...your choice. I can't guarantee which will work as this happened by sheer luck after I was about ready to throw this damn router out the window.

However it does still be a matter of timing and "beat the clock" even with DVS' method, like I said I tried his method many times and one time it just worked. Mainly, I wanted to post the exact firmware I used to get this mean beast to work.....
vseven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks dvs.

Had a WRT310N v1 that wouldn't reply to pings. Did the reset button at power up and got it into the TTL=100 loop. It didn't take a TFTP during this time so I reset it and did it again and hit my tftp command on the first ping reply. It would also not take the DD-WRT bin file (dd-wrt.v24-12424_NEWD_std.bin). Well it did but sat at a blinking power light for 20 minutes afterward. So I redid it with stock Linksys firmware and it came back with a TTL=64 and the web interface worked. Now time to go through and reflash with DD-WRT.
LiteBright
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had a WRT300N I had a bad flash experience with (my fault). Couldn't ping it but got a solid power light after 20 seconds or so.

I followed DVS's instructions above:
(a) do 30-30-30 reset on router
(b) set IP address on my PC to 192.168.1.25
(c) unplug router
(d) get tftp2 all ready so you can hit "upgrade"
-didn't need to change my card to 10MB or half-duplex
-used Linksys's default firmware from their site
(e) start a "ping -t 192.168.1.1" in a DOS window
-might have to do the next 4 steps several times until it works; might work immediately the first time
(f) hold reset button in & plug router power in
(g) release reset after 6 seconds or so
(h) wait for ping to come back immediately
(i) hit "upgrade" button on tftp2, flashes in 10 sec.
(j) REMEMBER to wait 2 minutes or so after flashing before you do anything. The router needs to reboot and set itself up or you'll brick it
(k) TTL=64 appears in ping window (previously TTL=100)
(l) do 30-30-30 reset on router again
(m) Whew!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
LiteBright wrote:
Had a WRT300N I had a bad flash experience with (my fault). Couldn't ping it but got a solid power light after 20 seconds or so.

I followed DVS's instructions above:
(a) do 30-30-30 reset on router
(b) set IP address on my PC to 192.168.1.25
(c) unplug router
(d) get tftp2 all ready so you can hit "upgrade"
-didn't need to change my card to 10MB or half-duplex
-used Linksys's default firmware from their site
(e) start a "ping -t 192.168.1.1" in a DOS window
-might have to do the next 4 steps several times until it works; might work immediately the first time
(f) hold reset button in & plug router power in
(g) release reset after 6 seconds or so
(h) wait for ping to come back immediately
(i) hit "upgrade" button on tftp2, flashes in 10 sec.
(j) REMEMBER to wait 2 minutes or so after flashing before you do anything. The router needs to reboot and set itself up or you'll brick it
(k) TTL=64 appears in ping window (previously TTL=100)
(l) do 30-30-30 reset on router again
(m) Whew!!!

Thank you so much LightBright! It worked perfectly on my WRT300N v1.1 :)

I guess I owe you one....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: