Finally "bricked" my WRT310n, looking for some gui

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
twiggy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Re: WooooHoooo!!!! Reply with quote
dvs wrote:
As the title implies, it's ALIVE!!!!!

OK, here's what finally worked.

Based on my post above, pressing the reset button while plugging in the power will put the router into a state where it's ready and waiting for the tftp.

Here's the symptoms that you'll see.

1. Perform a continuous ping on 192.168.1.1 using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10". You'll see something like "Destination Host Unreachable" because you haven't yet plugged in the router.
2. Press and hold the reset button and plug in the router. You'll see response on the ping (ttl=100)and the power LED should start and continue flashing.
3. Let go of the reset button. The power LED should continue flashing and you should continue to get ping response. If it doesn't, unplug the router and repeat step 1&2, this time hold the reset button a bit longer (approx. 5 sec.)

Now the router is in a state to receive a tftp at your leisure.

DVS, you little puddin! My buddy bricked his WRT310N and gave it to me to fiddle with. After about an hour of researching, your qualifications above had it up and running in under five minutes.

The keys for me were pinging with the '-w 10' suffix and holding down the reset button before plugging in the router and holding it for a couple of seconds afterward.

Without that suffix, I was getting no ping and losing hope. After that, I saw a flicker of life on the first plug-in, and then one more try brought it back to life. I highly recommend this method over the juggle-timing I was trying just prior.

Many thanks!
Sponsor
Quindor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:01    Post subject: Good advice Reply with quote
Good advice people! I managed to brick my WRT160N v1. It also got the blinking power light like the 320N as described here and in the wiki.

Took me a while to unbrick it but managed it on my laptop with Win7 x64 using builtin tftp.

Also it refused to accept DD-WRT firmware, switching to the stock firmware did the trick in an instant.

Great work!! :D

After this I upgraded to the right build of DD-WRT (going through the micro procedure) and now it's 'humming' again like always. Smile
willise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I realize this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help with my issue.

I have a V1 310N and I upgraded it to the V2 firmware by mistake. I cannot access the GUI and the router does not work.

I have followed all the suggestions in this thread and I cannot get it to work. So I would like to describe my problem and determine it my router is bricked completely or not.

I have disconnected it from my main computer and connected it to my laptop. I disabled my wireless adapter and changed my laptop to 192.168.1.10, 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.1.1

I did the 30-30-30 reset and the power light blinks for a few seconds then goes steady. There is no wireless light. Port 1 is lit (connected to my laptop). When I ping the router, I get "destination Host Unreachable". I cannot, obviously, use TFTP either.

So does it sound like it is bricked beyond repair?

Thanks a million for the help!!
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
willise wrote:
I realize this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help with my issue.

I have a V1 310N and I upgraded it to the V2 firmware by mistake. I cannot access the GUI and the router does not work.

I have followed all the suggestions in this thread and I cannot get it to work. So I would like to describe my problem and determine it my router is bricked completely or not.

I have disconnected it from my main computer and connected it to my laptop. I disabled my wireless adapter and changed my laptop to 192.168.1.10, 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.1.1

I did the 30-30-30 reset and the power light blinks for a few seconds then goes steady. There is no wireless light. Port 1 is lit (connected to my laptop). When I ping the router, I get "destination Host Unreachable". I cannot, obviously, use TFTP either.

So does it sound like it is bricked beyond repair?

Thanks a million for the help!!

start a continuous ping, then power up the router.. see if there are any responses. You may get a few ttl=100 as it is powering up. If so, that is your tftp window. Probably not though.. But worth a shot.

Anyway... your router can be recovered using the serial console. Lots of info about that available. the V1 also has operable jtag. You can recover that way also..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

I searched the forum for "310N serial console repair", but nothing stood out in the list.

Would you happen to know where the instructions are located?

Thanks again for the great help
P3ta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 0:52    Post subject: Re: Good advice Reply with quote
Quindor wrote:
Good advice people! I managed to brick my WRT160N v1. It also got the blinking power light like the 320N as described here and in the wiki.

Took me a while to unbrick it but managed it on my laptop with Win7 x64 using builtin tftp.

Also it refused to accept DD-WRT firmware, switching to the stock firmware did the trick in an instant.

Great work!! :D

After this I upgraded to the right build of DD-WRT (going through the micro procedure) and now it's 'humming' again like always. Smile

Hello today my WRT160N v1 bricked, I have been trying to install version wrt.v24-dd-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.

The power LED is on.

The LAN LED is on.

Can not connect to the router via web.

Could someone help me?

Thanks
iav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am exactly as
willise wrote:

I try all ways to reset and power on, but got no one ping reply. Only "hardware error" and "request timed out".

Any time I try to run tftp2 program with original firmware image it shows a popup window
"Erasing flash... (it may take long time, please wait.)", but it does nothing and close that window after some timeout.

Is there a way to unbrick it?
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
iav wrote:
Is there a way to unbrick it?

Jtag. See the "jtag" wiki article.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
trens
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
LiteBright wrote:
Had a WRT300N I had a bad flash experience with (my fault). Couldn't ping it but got a solid power light after 20 seconds or so.

I followed DVS's instructions above:
(a) do 30-30-30 reset on router
(b) set IP address on my PC to 192.168.1.25
(c) unplug router
(d) get tftp2 all ready so you can hit "upgrade"
-didn't need to change my card to 10MB or half-duplex
-used Linksys's default firmware from their site
(e) start a "ping -t 192.168.1.1" in a DOS window
-might have to do the next 4 steps several times until it works; might work immediately the first time
(f) hold reset button in & plug router power in
(g) release reset after 6 seconds or so
(h) wait for ping to come back immediately
(i) hit "upgrade" button on tftp2, flashes in 10 sec.
(j) REMEMBER to wait 2 minutes or so after flashing before you do anything. The router needs to reboot and set itself up or you'll brick it
(k) TTL=64 appears in ping window (previously TTL=100)
(l) do 30-30-30 reset on router again
(m) Whew!!!

I bricked my WRT300N v1.1 with a micro (silly me) and I didn't get around to reading much until today. It has been about a month since it happened and I purchased a WNR3500L as I thought it was going to be a serial fix.

I know the props belong to everyone in this thread, but nothing worked just right until I read your response.

It took about seven tries to get it right.

As soon as you see a ping hit upgrade and wait. When it worked the power LED began to flash and I just sat there taking a sip of tea.

Now I has two routers what should I do with them!

I think its time to speriment with usb, flash, and cannons.

Thanks to all DVS etc..

:::::::::::::: Update

So after I made this post I took some time to hunt down the correct DDwrt. This would be for the now working WRT300N, thanks to all of you, but there is more!

I also have a WRN3500L purchased a few days after I bricked the 300n with a micro (silly). So I am flipping back and forth from router to the other via the two NICS on my mob. I 30.30.30 the 300n and let it sit while I surf with the WRN3500L. I read a few more posts and reply to this one thanking everyone. So I switch NICS and load up the 300n’s webgui and load a firmware. I don’t press the upload button just yet as I switch NICS. I go back looking for the thread on NEWD2 information. I find it; I’m good, and ready to flash the 300n back to greatness.

So I check the name of the firmware one more time from the 300n’s Linksys upgrade webgui page. I think to myself, if it happens again I’ll be able to fix it. I press the button.

I realize I’m still using the WRN3500L’s NIC, I doubt it will flash the WRN3500L, the light on the WRN goes orange…

It is now bricked.

I am brilliant!

<- Laugh at me! I deserve it.
micro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 16:07    Post subject: Re: WooooHoooo!!!! Reply with quote
dvs wrote:

Here's the symptoms that you'll see.

1. Perform a continuous ping on 192.168.1.1 using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10". You'll see something like "Destination Host Unreachable" because you haven't yet plugged in the router.
2. Press and hold the reset button and plug in the router. You'll see response on the ping (ttl=100)and the power LED should start and continue flashing.
3. Let go of the reset button. The power LED should continue flashing and you should continue to get ping response. If it doesn't, unplug the router and repeat step 1&2, this time hold the reset button a bit longer (approx. 5 sec.)

Now the router is in a state to receive a tftp at your leisure.

This worked on my WRT310N, I presume that it'll also work on other Linksys routers.

It never work on me.When i connected the router only replay in 3 times with ttl=100, then it goes RTO again.When i do step 2, it goes down RTO and never replay again.I do it approximatly 100 times,and it same happened everytimes.

Then i tried like this, i prepare tftp with it parameters and i power on my router, when it shows replay in the first times then i push the button to start flashing.Successfully it says,but it shows replay continously with ttl still 100.So it failed.Well,it really make me frustated!!!

My router is WRT310N

Any other solutions?
Corky12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Linksys E3000 Reply with quote
I am having similar issues with my Linksys E3000 router. The power light continues to blink. I have tried the 30/30/30 and am trying to tftp flash using the dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp-e3000.bin. I have my IP set to 192.168.1.9 with the gateway to the 250. one. When I ping that address I will get a reply with 32 bits with a ttl=128, this happens whether or not I have the router plugged into my LAN port or not... what am I doing wrong?
dohbutz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:03    Post subject: WRT310N Bricked? Reply with quote
Hi guys, I have a WRT310N with dd-wrt firmware(not sure which one) in there before already, but router died after 4 months. So I did 30-30-30 reboot but my power led is still flashing non-stopped. I tried the
Quote:
but it still says request timeout. I was wondering if this mean I need to do JTag? Is there any other option? Thanks!
AlanJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 22:07    Post subject: Trashed after "success" with v 24-12548 Reply with quote
And I thought I was SUCH a good dooby reading everything and following instructions to the letter before I tried to turn my idle linksys ART54gs ver 5.0 into a needed repeater here in our garden apartment.

I got just about to where Donny was, except, after "success" in loading the kernel -12548 specified for my box, AND waiting 10 minutes before trying to connect with the gui via the IE 8 I had been using (on the xp machine), I got the permanent green dots of death. The power light flashes. The ping command gets only "Destination host unreachable".

So I tried Donny's trick. Elegant idea. But no success. By now, this unit has been power cycled and 30-30-30'd a few times.

I checked my static IP, which had worked fine for the uploading.

I noted the suggestion to try a different subnet. Not sure what I am supposed to do, though. Run through 256 numbers in the second from right side octet?

I did change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0, to no avail.

You know, I really did follow the all instructions in "How To Flash WRT54GS v5.0 and 5.1 and 6.0".

Am I truly bricked?

Anyone with an idea for this?

- AlanJ from WashingtonDC
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try note 6 of the peacock. The problem with that router is that you can't tell easily whether you have oem with vxworks or dd-wrt partially installed. Standard advice is go back to the last step you know worked and repeat from there. If you can't get it working, start a new thread posting particulars of your specific problem.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
AlanJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24    Post subject: So, how do you "go back" if your router won't resp Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure what you mean by going back to what worked, because what worked was a success "screen", with the green big dot, for the installation of the kernel. At that point, having read, and reread, ALL the dd-wrt advisories, I could not, not, not get the gui to come up. When I did a ping, the unit was "unreachabel".

I can't figure out what else to do. It's been one very long wasted day. Maybe I should have donated this box to a school and bought a "repeater" from a retail outlet. I hate to toss the box. It did work fine as a router yesterday, after all.

The advice that I saw written to another that the subnets were unmatched sounds interesting, and quick, but, of course, I can't tell what subnet my router thinks it is/has. If there is something to do there, pls advise.

As for another thread, I have no idea how to start one. Have not used this kind of discussion software for about 15 years.

But, as I say, it is nice to get a response from someone. So, thanks.

- alan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: