Finally "bricked" my WRT310n, looking for some gui

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
TimeWillTell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:23    Post subject: Re: Linksys E3000 Reply with quote
Corky12 wrote:
I am having similar issues with my Linksys E3000 router. The power light continues to blink. I have tried the 30/30/30 and am trying to tftp flash using the dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp-e3000.bin. I have my IP set to 192.168.1.9 with the gateway to the 250. one. When I ping that address I will get a reply with 32 bits with a ttl=128, this happens whether or not I have the router plugged into my LAN port or not... what am I doing wrong?

Have the same issue with a WRT610N V1 router. I get the same reply, 32 bit with a TTL=128...

You're not alone...
Sponsor
MacDreThizz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:02    Post subject: TFTP Timing Problem Reply with quote
Hello, Win7 32bit, wrt310n, I flashed wrong bin, im getting TTL = 100, no gui, did 30/30/30, I have read peacock, dvs, donny, happyoutkast, tried maintenance mode, network card and ips configed, I tried stock and all different bins, I can not get the tftp to send the file to the roughter, the only way I get the pings is if i hold down reset and power on the roughter, any other ideas on how to flash that bin file with tftp?

http://i.imgur.com/Rs9EH.png
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00    Post subject: Re: TFTP Timing Problem Reply with quote
MacDreThizz wrote:
Hello, Win7 32bit, wrt310n, I flashed wrong bin, im getting TTL = 100, no gui, did 30/30/30, I have read peacock, dvs, donny, happyoutkast, tried maintenance mode, network card and ips configed, I tried stock and all different bins, I can not get the tftp to send the file to the roughter, the only way I get the pings is if i hold down reset and power on the roughter, any other ideas on how to flash that bin file with tftp?

You need a serial cable.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 15:06    Post subject: Re: TFTP Timing Problem Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
MacDreThizz wrote:

You need a serial cable.

maybe but the router is responding to pings.

try:

use the tftp utility, not the command line.

set the utility for 99 tries.

launch the utility, then power up the router. You will get 10 ~ 15 errors, then it should flash the router.

flash the stock linksys firmware, make sure all av software and firewall are disabled on the pc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:01    Post subject: Re: TFTP Timing Problem Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Murrkf wrote:
MacDreThizz wrote:

You need a serial cable.

maybe but the router is responding to pings.

try:

use the tftp utility, not the command line.

set the utility for 99 tries.

launch the utility, then power up the router. You will get 10 ~ 15 errors, then it should flash the router.

flash the stock linksys firmware, make sure all av software and firewall are disabled on the pc.

Thank you Murrkf and barryware, serial cable is a challenge I don't know if I want to take on, lol, I will put in some time and try to get the TFTP working. Thank you for the help!!!
karsibali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 23:08    Post subject: Re: WooooHoooo!!!! Reply with quote
dvs wrote:
As the title implies, it's ALIVE!!!!!

Thanks for all your help especially Donny.

You were right it was all about the timing of the tftp.

OK, here's what finally worked.

Based on my post above, pressing the reset button while plugging in the power will put the router into a state where it's ready and waiting for the tftp.

Here's the symptoms that you'll see.

1. Perform a continuous ping on 192.168.1.1 using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10". You'll see something like "Destination Host Unreachable" because you haven't yet plugged in the router.
2. Press and hold the reset button and plug in the router. You'll see response on the ping (ttl=100)and the power LED should start and continue flashing.
3. Let go of the reset button. The power LED should continue flashing and you should continue to get ping response. If it doesn't, unplug the router and repeat step 1&2, this time hold the reset button a bit longer (approx. 5 sec.)

Now the router is in a state to receive a tftp at your leisure.

This worked on my WRT310N, I presume that it'll also work on other Linksys routers.

Perhaps we can add this to the Peacock thread because there are alot of posts where people tftp unsuccessfully, presumably due to the incorrect timing of starting the tftp. Their results would be the same as mine, with a success message on the tftp but the power LED would continuously flash until the cows come home, then when they give up in ultimate frustration and power cycle the router hoping for miracels, they still wind up with a non-working router.

This will avoid the timing issue and make a whole lot of peeps much happier.

I had a WRT54G, which looked like bricked. This method worked for me, and I was able to flash the firmware with the tftp.
Thank you...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 23:34    Post subject: Re: WooooHoooo!!!! Reply with quote
karsibali wrote:
dvs wrote:
As the title implies, it's ALIVE!!!!!

Thanks for all your help especially Donny.

You were right it was all about the timing of the tftp.

OK, here's what finally worked.

Based on my post above, pressing the reset button while plugging in the power will put the router into a state where it's ready and waiting for the tftp.

Here's the symptoms that you'll see.

1. Perform a continuous ping on 192.168.1.1 using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10". You'll see something like "Destination Host Unreachable" because you haven't yet plugged in the router.
2. Press and hold the reset button and plug in the router. You'll see response on the ping (ttl=100)and the power LED should start and continue flashing.
3. Let go of the reset button. The power LED should continue flashing and you should continue to get ping response. If it doesn't, unplug the router and repeat step 1&2, this time hold the reset button a bit longer (approx. 5 sec.)

Now the router is in a state to receive a tftp at your leisure.

This worked on my WRT310N, I presume that it'll also work on other Linksys routers.

Perhaps we can add this to the Peacock thread because there are alot of posts where people tftp unsuccessfully, presumably due to the incorrect timing of starting the tftp. Their results would be the same as mine, with a success message on the tftp but the power LED would continuously flash until the cows come home, then when they give up in ultimate frustration and power cycle the router hoping for miracels, they still wind up with a non-working router.

This will avoid the timing issue and make a whole lot of peeps much happier.

I had a WRT54G, which looked like bricked. This method worked for me, and I was able to flash the firmware with the tftp.
Thank you...

Lol when I said I used this method on my wndr3700 I was told it was impossible, that it would never work. Amazing how many of us have done the impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 18:49    Post subject: my experience fixing the wrt310n Reply with quote
So, I followed the instructions found here: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT310N-V1-How-to-fix-firmware-after-installing-firmware-v2-on/m-p/321476

Here is what I got when the transfer was successful.

As you can see the transfer was successful but it seemed like nothing was fixed. The ping stopped responding after the transfer. This happened to me twice. Second time, I thought it was time to give up but I did not unplug the router right away. And after, maybe a couple of minutes I see this!!

For some reason, it started working all by itself. I dunno if this is how the fix is supposed to go but I thought I would share this in case other people get to the spot in the first and give up.

Hope this helps.
Valie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bricked e3200 here. I've tried the method described in this topic, I managed to transfer the .bin file to the router but nothing happens after this : the system led blinks waiting for software image, even after 10 min, same ttl=100. If I do a power cycle, the router is still bricked. I've tried with different .bin files (the DDWRT mini, original version from linksys etc)
What else could I try? Or I'm doing something wrong?
marche
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for awaking this thread, but I also bricked my V1 router.

It was running DDWRT (forgot which build) for several years until I decided to try out Tomato.. However, I flashed the wrong build K26 for the V2, whereas I had V1. Anyway, upon brick, I was getting two pings ttl=100, but when I attempted to tftp, the pings stopped permanently. I may have flashed an incomplete image through tftp.. anyway, after that, no more ping reply.

I re-assembled my old JTAG unbuffered, and connected 3,5,7,9 and no. 10 to ground, dusted an old PC and connected it via LPT.

I can query the router from JTAG software, but it hangs at clearing watchdog.

So I put nocwd

I get an even more ominous response.

I dont know my next step...

EDIT: I also tested my jtag cables, its all at 100ohms. So no issue there. Also, #12 is not connected to anywhere else (checked via multimeter), Should I also attach that to my jtag cable?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
marche wrote:
Sorry for awaking this thread, but I also bricked my V1 router.

It was running DDWRT (forgot which build) for several years until I decided to try out Tomato.. However, I flashed the wrong build K26 for the V2, whereas I had V1. Anyway, upon brick, I was getting two pings ttl=100, but when I attempted to tftp, the pings stopped permanently. I may have flashed an incomplete image through tftp.. anyway, after that, no more ping reply.

I re-assembled my old JTAG unbuffered, and connected 3,5,7,9 and no. 10 to ground, dusted an old PC and connected it via LPT.

I can query the router from JTAG software, but it hangs at clearing watchdog.

So I put nocwd

I get an even more ominous response.

I dont know my next step...

EDIT: I also tested my jtag cables, its all at 100ohms. So no issue there. Also, #12 is not connected to anywhere else (checked via multimeter), Should I also attach that to my jtag cable?

For my 310v1 I needed to include the flash chip switch. my command line for debricking includes the /fc:19 and /noreset switches.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
That did the trick. Adding /fc:19 and /noreset enabled me to jtag the unit properly and de-brick it.

Thank you!
johnfox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 13:36    Post subject: is it truly bricked? Reply with quote
I have an asus rt-n66u router (well two actually) installed ASUSwrt Merin on both. One is working perfectly the failed one refused to take the flash file or i unplugged too soon. Used rescue tool from asus site to install it. Im pretty sure it was me who cocked it up - reckon hardware is fine.

Currently the failed one shows only four lights. power - 2 - 1 and internet. power light is the brightest, the other three are a bit dimmer.

Unable to ping to the unit. ive tried all the configurations of holding reset whilst power on. WPS holds etc etc , but still cant ping. tried pinging whilst powering up, inserting ethernet cable but no use. Changed static ip address and ping still fails. Tried using 3 different pcs now too but to no avail.

I think this unit is well and truly bricked.

Im thinking the JTAG cable route is a daunting one for me, but before i investigate it - is there anything anybody can suggest i try which you think i havent done yet?
corellian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a vanilla Netgear WNR2000V2 looking to DD-WRT it.
Heard about this shit before and it sounded good - giving it a go for the first time.
Went to website to get the firmware - searched for my model number and fell victim to the following (got flashing power light, and TTL=100, gui not responding after flashing whatever was in the router database):

anyway I fixed it using info in the peakcock thread linking to this thread. Ended up being super simply with tftp2.exe.

i've attached a log of just before I hit the Upgrade button in tftp2.exe, of a command line running ping 192.168.1.1 -t -w 10. Keep in mind that I was running this command and upgrading the fw while still connected to wireless (oops.).

TLDR:

DO NOT USE THE "ROUTER DATABASE" AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR
FOLLOWING THE WIKI!

<3 this thread

now off to config this sumbitch

log.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  log.txt
 Filesize:  12.47 KB
 Downloaded:  680 Time(s)

frtorres
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
Couple of points. You were able to put your router in a management mode. Not sure if all routers will do this, but it is good to know.

When you ping and get ttl=100, you are getting a response from the bootloader. That means there is no firmware on to respond.

When there is firmware installed, you should get a ttl=64.

If you get destination host unreachable, this suggests that you are not on the same subnet as your router, and need to set the subnet manually.

If you get hardware error, this means your router is not attached.

If you get a timeout, this means you are getting no response. You cannot tftp if you do not have a ping response. Sometimes, when you power cycle or do a hard reset (or do the procedure to put the router into management mode, as you did), you can then tftp the router. But sometimes, when there is a problem you will get timeouts, and then get a few ping responses of ttl=100, then get timeouts.

If tftp is not started just as these ttl=100 start, it will sometimes not properly upload. You have to try again and again, anticipating the right time. This can take many many times in order to get this right. It can be frustrating.

The peacock thread has now been linked to this thread. If people wish to add addtional information on the timing of tftp, I hope it will be alright to add it to this thread.

Related with the mentioned management mode screen, I would like to share my experience with a CISCO E900 router:

1. I tried to return to build 21676_K2.6_mini-nv64k after I tested a trailed (my error) build 25309 K3.x_mega-e900.bin. Then I got a router in a management mode web page on 192.168.1.1. [Ping to that address ttl=100, dhcp working ok on router, so I git an IP to use]

2. Tried different firmwares to flash directly from web page, but no one finished ok. **ONLY firmware E900 Trailed Initial Flash Build finished ok ***

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com//others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e900.bin

3. I followed these steps to recover

-30-30-30 hard reset. Then flash above firmware, you will see screen warning no discconnect for 80 seconds. After this, wait 5 mins (Peacock Thread recommendation).
-30-30-30 hard reset again, power cycle the unit and then you will get webui for the initial Flash Build

Note: I tried tftp to recover different timings but I waste my time.

Spent the whole day reading and recovering the unit finally good to see a resurrected unit. Smile

Lesson learned: Read Peacock Thread- and gurus posts on this forum, do not follow user recommendations...

Best Regards. Hope this help somebody.

Francisco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: