Accessing Router From My House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lautamas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:56    Post subject: Accessing Router From My House Reply with quote
Hello people,
I have a WRT54GS V1.1 running DD-WER V23 SP2. The WRT54GS runs on my office. Is there anyway that can access router interface (192.168.1.1 interface) from my home? How do I setup the port forwarding?

Thank You
P.S. I search using REMOTE on the search function but canot find anything that I need to know about this.
Sponsor
sophana
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
when you enable remote management, you web UI is accessible from your WAN port.
If you can reach your WAN port then you can reach your web UI.
note: the default port is 8080 (you can change it to 80)

JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
important additional remark:

you need to set up an account at dyndns.org or similar and enter the account and domain info in your dd-wrt web interface... you will NOT be able to access an address like 192.168.X.X from the outside (as it is local an non routable) instead by setting up a dyndns account you'll be able to reach your router unter your the dyndns.org address you have selected.

additionally you're free to choose another port than 80 ... whatever you choose in the remote management tab you'll need to add, when you access the router from the outside, e.g.

http://myserver.dnydns.org:1234

the ":1234" specifying the port you have selected.
lautamas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply
I am using No-IP.org for my server application need. No-IP.org uses a software that is installed into one computer where the software just keeps updating the public of our dynamic IP Adress.
Now, the question....how can no-ip.org knows what IP I am on when the computer that has no-ip software is OFF?

The problem is...all the computers in the office is turned off when I am going to try to access the router GUI remotely from my house.
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="lautamas"]
Now, the question....how can no-ip.org knows what IP I am on when the computer that has no-ip software is OFF?

first look in the ddwrt config to answer your question... setup->ddns

also you really don't NEED the no-ip or any other dydns service. just watch how often your IP changes, I've been on systems where i've had the same ip for months or a year at a time.
lautamas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you....I have sucesfully setup the connection so that I can access the router from my home now.
I have also setup the DDNS (Setup-DDNS) using no-ip. My next question is, will my router be able to tell no-ip everytime my IP changes? I mean, that's the idea of the service.
So, I assume once I enable the DDNS in SETUP-DDNS I dont have to install the no-ip software in any of my computer..correct?
JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
lautamas wrote:
Thank you....I have sucesfully setup the connection so that I can access the router from my home now.
I have also setup the DDNS (Setup-DDNS) using no-ip. My next question is, will my router be able to tell no-ip everytime my IP changes? I mean, that's the idea of the service.
So, I assume once I enable the DDNS in SETUP-DDNS I dont have to install the no-ip software in any of my computer..correct?

yes, that's exactly the idea. you can un-install all no-ip software on your machines, the router will handle it and of course keep the address current when your IP changes.

rkramer wrote:

also you really don't NEED the no-ip or any other dydns service. just watch how often your IP changes, I've been on systems where i've had the same ip for months or a year at a time.

that entirely depends on the kind of service you are using. DSL services often force IP changes at least once every 24 hours via forced disconnect on the ISP side while in the case of cable internet access the IP might indeed stay the same for quite some time BUT it still may change for most users, otherwise you would not need to pay extra for a static IP. therefore everybody needs to decide whether or not DDNS is necessary and useful depending on the service used.
lautamas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you for your help John...I really appriciate it. I will now uninstall no-ip software in my computer and let the router keeps itself updated with the IP address...

Thank you again...

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: