HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
bwisely
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
My setup thru below procedure.

I have try below WDS setup type also, and It's doesn't workable with new version to R24461 from R23320-fix.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_multiple_router_setup

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network#DD-WRT_to_DD-WRT_WDS
Sponsor
tylersprice84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 0:58    Post subject: DIR 835 A1 Reply with quote
ASSUMING host router 192.168.0.1, host router set up as dhcp server starting from 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.254, and you are ethernet wired to ddwrt router. host router SSID "HOST_2ghz" wpa2-personal-aes password "testing"

there are 2 .bin files for this router, i flashed the first one and set up client bridge (routed), with a vAP

HARD 30/30/30
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

BASIC SETUP -> dhcp forwarder (not needed as when you switch to client bridged routed mode this disappears), router IP to 192.168.0.10 (out of host dhcp zone 192.168.0.11-254), gateway to 192.168.0.1 <host router ip>, dns <192.168.0.1, 8.8.8.8>, SAVE IT (NOT APPLY)

****IMPORTANT****
MAC ADDRESS CLONE -> ENABLE make sure they are different if ISP needs, or if you have 2+ of same router with same ddwrt change the top MAC address by +1 and bottom by +2 or whatever so you dont have MAC+IP Conflicts on multi router set ups.

ADVANCED ROUTING -> operating mode -> router -> SAVE IT

SECURITY -> SPI off
save it
SERVICE dnsmasq off
save it
APPLY IT

CHANGE your computers wired/eth to static
192.168.0.5 NetMask: 255.255.255.0 GateWay: 192.168.0.1 DNS: 192.168.0.1
SOMETIMES gateway and dns are the ddwrt router 192.168.0.10 in this example

log back into router -> 192.168.0.10

WIRELESS -> (2.4ghz) set to client bridged(routed), DEFAULT GATEWAY set to MANUAL and 192.168.0.1, SAVE IT, network MODE and CHANNEL WIDTH must match <host router settings> <CHANNEl will auto tune to host routers channel>
SSID must match host router SSID ->
HOST_2ghz in this example
SAVE IT

Add a virtual interface, name it HOST_RPT, MODE = AP (could name SSID whatever as long as not HOST_2ghz) -> SAVE IT

5ghz - i disabled this but you can have it enabled and it will work fine too <any SSID/mode/width/channel>

WIRELESS SECURITY
must match host router exactly _> WPA2-personal AES in this example
options: wpa2-enterprise, wpa2-mixed, wep, none, etc.
encryption/algorithm: AES, TKIP, AES+TKIP

wpa2-personal , aes for this example

password has to match host router for your 2.4GHZ (HOST_2ghz) security and your virtual AP (HOST_RPT) security -> password set to -> testing

if you have 5 ghz enabled you can give it a diff password. (havnt tried different protocols i.e. WEP, WPA)

save it all
APPLY IT

log back in 192.168.0.10 if have to and reboot/re apply
should have internet repeater functionality now, try logging into HOST router -> 192.168.0.1

make sure all settings work as you want than PORT FORWARD!!!

PORT FORWARD PROPERLY on your HOST ROUTER -> SAVE IT ALL AND REBOOT HOST ROUOTER -> port scan from external (www, someone else) to confirm open ports (ISP filtering could happen, SHAW here in alberta canada doesnt filter incoming except for telnet i can find so far WAY AWESOME)

now log into ddwrt router 192.168.0.10

PORT FORWARD in the DDWRT router does not seem to behave correctly for SSH to clients behind this setup, webservers work, most other things do but for some reason SSH fails with a connection refused or timeout or network unreachable, this had me sherlock holmes'ing my set up until i found that putting my LAMP server in the DMZ | NAT/QoS -> DMZ -> enable -> <ip of LAMP server> | solved my ssh problem, as far as i can tell this is a workaround, I have tried port forwarding on host and DDWRT but still have SSH errors, only when i DMZ it can i SSH in. This may be helpful to someone, as i searched and searched and found nothing (not to say it isnt out there!).

SAVE IT
APPLY IT

Make sure everything running right.

administration -> backup

go to download location -> rename file to something memorable EXAMPLE: host_2ghz_rpt-FINAL-ddwrt.bin

--------------------------------------------------

*** see my other post involving ubuntu server 14.04 ssh from external INVOLVING DDWRT ATHEROS vAP

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=905643&highlight=#905643

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=905566&highlight=#905566

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2234684

SO THAT WAS WITH THE FIRST .BIN
NOW ->

HARD 30/30/30

still wired/eth into router

upgrade to 2nd flash file dir835c1-firmware.bin

HARD 30/30/30

set up exactly the same and it will connect to host router for anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds than drop, reconnect to host router for 5-10 seconds DROP, REPEAT -> ARGH ^%$#!@@#@$

STUMPED! but seeing as the first flash file set up works quite well, barely power off or reset the dd wrt or host router these days. I have chosen to stick with setting up factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin till it works right -> admin -> backup -> nvram.bin to your local hdd -> rename to unique.

works great now, am i missing anything from the dir832_c1 ?

hope this helps someone!
w0095157
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 17:36    Post subject: VAP not working Reply with quote
I have gone through this and many other threads looking for answer or solutions , I have a tl wdr3600 v1 in client bridge(routed) mode. I am at this time running build 23082 the basic repeater functions work fine and i can get more then enough speed to stream high bitrate video etc. , issue is adding a VAP under 2.4ghz , which is the bridged interface , isnt allowing web access through smartphone or laptop(wireless devices) , when connected to the VAP. I notice in status page of ddwrt the connection RX rate for smartphone as well as laptop if its connected are connected at 65mbps. After a few seconds RX rate drops to 1M and stays, dhcp works as wirless devices do get an address they are just unable to do any web related activity, running speedtest or visiting any website. Any tips to try would be great thanks.
iliteo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, congrats for the good work.
Someone have a realistic answer why in dd-wrt in repeater mode,
the VAP runs in half the speed, when with stock firmware, in Universal Repeater Mode both parts Rx - Tx works in full ht40 mode?
This indicate for sure that it's not hardware limitation.
I suspect in stock firmware, it's not using Virtual AP mechanism but something else.. (?)
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well if it 's really Universal Repeater Mode it should get Half the Speeds at Full-Load as well. Doesn't matter if it 's displaying theoretically full TX/RX power at all - it still means if you transfer with the Full Power to the Main-Router you'll only get half Bandwidth in reality since the Repeater is both Sending and Receiving at the same time thous effectively cutting it in half no matter what theoretical speed is displayed for the single Connection. That would only be not the case if there 's two Adapters in the Repeater and you'd be using one for receiving (connected to the Client) and the other for sending (connected to the Router). At least that 's my understanding as to the limitation of any Software-Layer implementation of Wireless-Repeating with a single Adapter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That 's also why I'm looking forward to routers like the R8000 which implements Tri-Adapters - at 4x Adapters and a good technology implementation those limitations (as in a single Client distributing the Up/Down-Channel on two different Adapters those effectively being unaffected by each other - beside other Clients Up/Download) should be finally overcome for Repeaters or better said greatly reduced if you really need the full speed of them at a same time that is - which would be very nice for any AP<>Repeater<>Router-Connection.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
justyourimage wrote:
Well if it 's really Universal Repeater Mode it should get Half the Speeds at Full-Load as well. Doesn't matter if it 's displaying theoretically full TX/RX power at all - it still means if you transfer with the Full Power to the Main-Router you'll only get half Bandwidth in reality since the Repeater is both Sending and Receiving at the same time thous effectively cutting it in half no matter what theoretical speed is displayed for the single Connection. That would only be not the case if there 's two Adapters in the Repeater and you'd be using one for receiving (connected to the Client) and the other for sending (connected to the Router). At least that 's my understanding as to the limitation of any Software-Layer implementation of Wireless-Repeating with a single Adapter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

iliteo says that with stock firmware, the virtual AP still broadcasts a HT40 signal (confirmed by InSSIDer, see the snapshot in his post here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=933398#933398). With DD-WRT, this is not the case: even though the Client side connection of the Repeater router to the Host AP happens @40 MHz (300 Mb/s), the Virtual AP of the Repeater only broadcasts @20 MHz (144 Mb/s). I also tested myself and can confirm this on a Netgear WNDR3800 with DD-WRT 25309 firmware in Repeater Mode.

I agree that the Repeater's connection on both sides (Client and Virtual AP) would register practical speeds cut in half (obviously!), but the bandwidth should be 40 MHz (300 Mb/s) on both sides. The Virtual AP should broadcast on two bonded channels (HT40, 20+20 MHz), similarly to what the host AP broadcasts. This should work, as it does on stock firmware, EVEN IF the Host AP and the Repeater's Virtual AP broadcast on the same channels (e.g. channels 7+11 in iliteo's snapshot). Am I correct ?
layek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 13:05    Post subject: i want too know about dd-wrt repeater Reply with quote
recently i installed dd-wrt on my dir-620 A1 with dd-wrt 615 img. then i try to use repeater and its works but when i create a virtual ssid it doesnt works. is the dd-wrt broadcast the primary router ssid? or i can disable main router ssid and create new ssid? i need help please let me know if you have any idea. Thanks
melvinaury
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi:

I'm trying to setup my router as client or client bridge.

I already read the details manual and procedures. I can connect to the network and create the virtual network. The problem is that the new VAP only had internet for several seconds. If I disconnect and connect any of my device it has internet for several seconds it could be the cell phone, table or laptop.

I'm out of options, in the past I had all working properly but my router die and I'm configuring the new router that is the same model.

I prefer the client mode, to out of the reach of the network that I connect that is from a neighbor.

Thanks in advance. Rolling Eyes
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aré you in same subnet as the router you are connecting
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need to check when I return to my home.

I can connect my laptop by WiFi to the network that I need to configure and check the Subnet (ipconfig /all).

I try the guide to configure a client mode, but no luck. The way that I had my router in the past was is using client bridge.

I want to be completely independent from the other network (let's said invisible).
FlyHigh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Melvinaury, which build are you using?
What are the router models used?
melvinaury
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest beta 2/4/2015
Model TP-Link TL-WA730RE V.2.
FlyHigh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the same build (26138), my TP-Link WR1043ND v1 doesn't work properly with the client bridge mode.

It begins to work, but a little while after, it stops.
Curiously, the status appears correct (except a lot of Rx error) but the bridge seems broken.

I think this build has a bug.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
@FlyHigh

You may already know how to properly set up a Client Bridge, but I will still tell you how I would do it:

1. Wireless -> Basic Settings ->
2.4G Phys. ath0 : Client Bridge, NG-Mixed, HT40, Ch Auto, SSID_HostAP, Canada, 20 dBm. Save.
2.4G Virt. ath0.1: AP, SSID_VAP. Save.

2. Wireless -> Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal, AES, Passwords (make sure ath0 password = password asked by Host AP). Save.

3. Setup -> Basic Setup -> WAN Connection: Disabled
If the Host AP has IP 192.168.1.1 (which must be a DHCP server), then set for the Client Bridge an IP in the same subnet, but outside of the DHCP pool range (which is usually 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150):
Local IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

4. Setup -> Advanced Routing -> Operating Mode: Router (this disables NAT)

5. Security -> Firewall -> Disable all filters except Filter Multicast. Save.
-> SPI Firewall: Disable. Save. Apply. Wait 1-2 minutes, reboot router.

Last edited by KrypteX on Sat Feb 14, 2015 22:07; edited 2 times in total
FlyHigh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you KrypteX for your help, but I tried a lot of things without success...

I tried with my Netgear R7000 (Broadcom @stock) in front, and my TP-Link WDR4900 (Atheros @stock)...

I'm not sure at 100% but I think it's a DD-WRT issue.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: