HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
DonCaramello
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi folks:

my hardware:
- Netgear WN2000RPTv2

my firmware:
- DD-WRT v24-sp2(23/19/12) - build 18777

my problem:
- i want my netgear to build his own subnet (wlan & lan) and connect him (via wlan) to my fritzbox.
- solution: client mode with vap

BUT:
- what i've tried:
i can connect my netgear in clientmode to my fritzbox, they both find each other, i can ping, connect (via lan at my netgear), np everybody is happy.
- after adding vap, my netgear cannot join my fritzbox wlan. in status tab -> wireless i can see "radio is off" for ath0, which is my physical interface. the vap is still online, i can connect via smartphone etc

looking through this thread, i think there are some more ppl having this problem, but i didnt see any solution? is there anybody out there with the same issues and/ or with a workaround etc?
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your router WN2000RPTv2 is not supported by DD-WRT, what did you flash and how did you flash it ?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

DonCaramello
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, its not in the list, but its actually the same hardware as the wnr2000v3 (without the wan-port) so i flashed the firmware for wnr2000v3 and could use it all time as a client, but now i moved to a new appartment and tried to set it up as a new ap... but nope^^ maybe not exactly same hardware or is there anybody with the same problem with a "real" wnr2000v3?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
DonCaramello wrote:
yeah, its not in the list, but its actually the same hardware as the wnr2000v3 (without the wan-port) so i flashed the firmware for wnr2000v3 and could use it all time als client, but now i moved to a new appartment and tried to set it up as a new ap... but nope^^ maybe not exactly same hardware or is there anybody with the same problem with a "real" wnr2000v3?

I didn't know that WN2000RPTv2 = WNR2000v3 - WAN port
In this case, I suggest updating to latest 26446 build for WNR2000v3
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-05-2015-r26446/netgear-wnr2000v3/
This one is the first build since 18777 that WILL fit the 4MB flash !

Last edited by KrypteX on Thu Mar 05, 2015 14:11; edited 1 time in total
DonCaramello
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, i thought about updating firmware, would have done that, but caused by moving, my firtzbox will have to wait for an internet connection till (i hope so...) tomorrow.

thx so far, i will update and post again Smile

*edit*
update:
yepp, firmware update (via mobile net, tomorrow was to far away^^) did it, now i can set up an ap while being client with my repeater, so i got the best timing for my problem i think Very Happy
ro-76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:34    Post subject: Fix for VAP visibility when main AP not available on WR703N? Reply with quote
Hi

I'm using a WR703N as a travel router to share hotel WiFi to >1 device. I can setup VAP ok using a cable and then once setup, can access the VAP without cable.

The problem is that if the target AP is not available, the VAP is not broadcast so I can't access it wirelessly to configure it. This means that if I move to new AP (i.e. new hotel), I need a wired connection from a laptop to reconfigure for the new AP.

Is there a way to have the VAP accessible even if the target AP is unavailable?

I want to be able to travel without a laptop and configure the device wirelessly.

Thx
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set up the router as regular Client, NOT Client Bridge.
ro-76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Set up the router as regular Client, NOT Client Bridge.

I'm pretty sure that I've done that. I followed this guide:

http://seriouslytrivial.com/2013/11/23/sharing-wifi-with-multiple-devices/

It works perfectly once the target AP is available but when it isn't, it doesn't broadcast the VAP at all.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
for client/client bridge/wds station if the vap is on the same interface as one of the above operating modes, it cant broadcast if connection to the host is lost

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

ro-76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
for client/client bridge/wds station if the vap is on the same interface as one of the above operating modes, it cant broadcast if connection to the host is lost

OK. That may be the issue. The client and the VAP are both wireless, so what you're saying is that if the client is not connected, it can't broadcast the VAP. Is that correct? No way around this?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, no

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

This may be valid for Atheros, but it's not for Ralink, AFAICT.

For Ralink in Repeater mode: even if its Client side disconnects from the Host AP, my laptop remains connected to the VAP. Both the Client side and the VAP are on the same interface (2.4 GHz ra0).

erotavlas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I have tp-link TL-WR741ND with firmware DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std.
I would like to connect this router wirelessly to another router netgear wnrd4300 without DD-WRT and to setup a wireless network with different SSID and WPA2 password and to create an unbridged network where the devices from one network cannot see the devices from the other.
I tried to setup my tp-link with client in wireless mode and with the same SSID of the netgear and to add a virtual interface vap with different SSID name.
I cannot see the new wireless network and in my netgear router I cannot see my tp-link among the attached devices.
In wireless mode, the repeater option is not available. What can I do?

Thank you
royle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello dd-wrt-ers,

I have a problem setting up the "repeater bridge" configuration on my WRT-160NL. I followed the Atheros guide (http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) - the first part went well, but the second part (VAP part) wasn't working. After a day of reconfiguring both the host and repeater routers I found out where the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it:

On the host (primary) router I've set up a "DHCP address reservation" for my PC (x.y.z.13) and when the rule is enabled, I don't see neither the host router, nor I can access the internet when connected wirelessly (still works OK if I connect by wire). If I disable the rule everything works fine, but (of course) the host router now assigns the PC a different IP (x.y.z.101 for example).

Is there a workaround for this problem or is it impossible to have both static LAN IP addresses and working VAP connection?

lp, royle
rehpej
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
question.

is there a way for dir300(ddwrt) in repeater mode to broadcast wifi?

when i make the router to be in repeater mode (using this guide http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39507). the wifi signal is off.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: