HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client + VAP = Repeater
Sponsor
BigWinnie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
Client + VAP = Repeater

Ok, thanks. So I have the modem connected with LAN-LAN to the main router. Modem IP is 192.168.0.1. The router is 192.168.0.20 (DHCP off!). If the modem gives 100 IP adresses with DHCP from 192.168.0.1, in that case sould I give the repeater an IP like 192.168.0.200 for example? And the gataway should be 192.168.0.1, right? Other question: when I create the virtual wireless network, may it be exact the same as the main router's network (same SSID, channel, password)?
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigWinnie wrote:
If the modem gives 100 IP adresses with DHCP from 192.168.0.1, in that case sould I give the repeater an IP like 192.168.0.200 for example? And the gataway should be 192.168.0.1, right?

yes
yes

BigWinnie wrote:

Other question: when I create the virtual wireless network, may it be exact the same as the main router's network (same SSID, channel, password)?

yes

suggestion, you should use Client Bridge (Routed) + VAP for your configuration (DHCP and NAT is off on ddwrt, use Setup/BasicSetup/AdvancedRouting/Operating mode Router to turn NAT off)
ColorMehJewish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:04    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
rinja wrote:
hey Sash, i wasn't trying to say i don't like the EOC2610, but i do have an activated copy of DD-WRT on an EOC2610 that i received this week & i didn't find the option for "AP Repeater"....i do find WDS AP/STATION, but not AP Repeater...basically was pointing out what differences i found...cheers...;-}

we're here on atheros not broadcom. so there is noch repeater in the drop down! u will have to be a bit more creative. u will have to add a vap and set it up as ap while u connect the main interface to the source ap as client.

better explained:
chris wrote:
Hi,

to build a reapeater, you have to create a client (or wds-station) and then add another VAP with a new AP.

The new VAP does not have to have the same ssid or encryption settings, but it CAN have the same values.

The new VAP is only available, if the client interface is logged into the other (to be repeated) ap.

If you are used to Broadcom based firmwares, that's a difference.

I'm having a HUGE problem trying to get this exact configuration to work. I am semi-knowledgeable in networking in general, and am new to dd-wrt but have a pretty good grasp of the majority of the options.

The ones I am concerned with (and having trouble with) are creating a repeater, on an Atheros chipset (TP-Link WDR3600 - n600). I can set it to "Client" mode in the options, and get it to repeat the signal by creating a virtual AP interface. Connecting works, but unfortunately my main router is an RALink radio set mixed with Atheros switch (TrendNET - TEW682GR), which seems to only send out the first signal channel... I am unable to change the channel in "Client" mode, and I could not gain access after trying "Client (Routed)". So I loaded the backup, and checked the Status of the "Client" configuration backup I made, and it just creates too much interference with the routers broadcasting the same channel.

My question is, how can I configure these two routers, to have two different channels on the same subnet, to utilize a repeater w/o interference? I would prefer to keep it wired to the other router, but if WDS is my only option, I can resort to that if it is my only option.

It was my mistake picking up the atheros-based router for a repeater when I had an ralink setup on my main router. I just remembered seeing "Atheros" come up before, but did not think about the switch in the device being the configuration it is (Ralink+Atheros Switch). I like the two routers, and I would like to utilize the two of them together to increase range through my house. The IP cams require a better signal to work in my current setup.

I thought I would ask, as this topic/post speaks about the setup I am aiming to configure, but I cannot get it to work correctly. I end up mixing something up and it either stops responding and I have to start again from backup, or I end up having tons of errors from the two on the same channel. Also, just to mention, I do not have the first router connected to the secondary's WAN port. As I mentioned, I do understand the basics I am just unfamiliar with the software options and the many different search results of tutorials are hit and miss for my requirements. You mention (and seem to understand) the use of both chipset types.

Any help is appreciated. I have been stumped on how to make this work.
llpauli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you have advices how to set up the WRT1900AC V1 flashed with r27858 in repeater mode?

I can connect the router to an AP via Client Mode but not as a Client Bridge.
Thats also my prefered connection - Client Mode with a different local net than that of the AP, but I can not start the virtual interface in Client Mode, there is no SSID broadcasting. I could start the virtual interface in client bridge mode, but then I do not have a connection to the AP with the internet and no separate local IP net.
hitchhikerkiller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
FlyHigh wrote:
Thank you KrypteX for your help, but I tried a lot of things without success...

I tried with my Netgear R7000 (Broadcom @stock) in front, and my TP-Link WDR4900 (Atheros @stock)...

I'm not sure at 100% but I think it's a DD-WRT issue.

FlyHigh wrote:
The bridge works a few seconds (the time to display 3 or 4 web sites) but suddenly stops...

FlyHigh, I think I'm having the exactly same problem.

Main router = Belkin F9K1102V3 (Broadcom BCM5358UB0 @stock)
Repeater router = TL-WR841N v9 (Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 dd-wrt r27506)

The behaviour is the same: the internet works for 5 seconds and then stops. Although after the first 5 seconds I don't have internet anymore, I'm still able to ping the main router from a device connected to the repeater, what means the routers are still linked. The problem is only with the internet link.

Did you get any luck trying to solve this problem? If yes, could you please share the workaround?
wit.cz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I successfully flashed my 842ND with DD-WRT and set up to repeater mode but I would like to change some configuration and don't know how.

My parents have a primary router without DD-WRT (connected to Internet without public IP, DHCP on) and mine is the second one with DD-WRT configured as a client bridge (repeater) with one virtual AP.

When I connect to repeater, I get local IP address from the primary router. How to get completely separate wifi network?I mean get local IP address from repeater and not to be exposed with my devices in parent's network. Is it possible at all? I thought to add DHCP to repeater or nat but I don't know...
wit.cz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
nobody? no support here? Sad
dancfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 0:37    Post subject: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-15s Reply with quote
I have the same issue as llpauli and FlyHigh.

It repeats 100% correctly for 5-15 seconds, then the internet stops being accessible to devices connected to the repeater (while devices connected directly to the main router are fine). The main router's web interface is still accessible from devices connected to the repeater after the internet is inaccessible. The Wireless Status page shows that the repeater router is successfully connected as a client to the main router.

Source router connected to internet: Netgear R7000 (stock)
Repeater Router: TP-Link Archer C7 (DD-WRT, tried r29218, r27086)

I followed the Atheros section of the repeater guide.

On the DD-WRT repeater, I'm receiving the 2.4GHz network and repeating on a virtual interface on 2.4GHz.
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:02    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
dancfuller wrote:
I have the same issue as llpauli and FlyHigh.

It repeats 100% correctly for 5-15 seconds, then the internet stops being accessible to devices connected to the repeater (while devices connected directly to the main router are fine). The main router's web interface is still accessible from devices connected to the repeater after the internet is inaccessible. The Wireless Status page shows that the repeater router is successfully connected as a client to the main router.

Source router connected to internet: Netgear R7000 (stock)
Repeater Router: TP-Link Archer C7 (DD-WRT, tried r29218, r27086)

I followed the Atheros section of the repeater guide.

On the DD-WRT repeater, I'm receiving the 2.4GHz network and repeating on a virtual interface on 2.4GHz.

It would help if you'd provide Wireless setup of both routers.

wit.cz wrote:
nobody? no support here? Sad

You need to setup your router in client mode, not client bridge one.
dancfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 19:29    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
[quote="VSparxx]
It would help if you'd provide Wireless setup of both routers.[/quote]

Sure thing...

Source (Netgear R7000 running latest stock firmware)
    2.4GHz
    b,g,n mixed
    WPA2 Personal, AES
    Channel 1
    running on 192.168.1.1

Repeater (TP-Link Archer C7 V2 currently running R29218, also tried builds from ~3 and 6 months ago with same results)
    Running in Client Bridged mode.
    Connecting with WPA2 Personal (AES) on the 2.4GHz network.
    running on 192.168.1.2

The repeater router is running a virtual wireless network on the 2.4GHz with the same security settings as the repeated network.

All other settings follow the Atheros repeater guide (DHCP off, AP Isolation off, SPI firewall off, set to Router instead of Gateway, source router IP address used as Gateway and DNS addresses in the repeater router, etc.).

Interestingly, in the window of time that the repeater router is repeating correctly, using the built-in command line on the repeater router, I can ping sites on the internet successfully. Once access to the internet is lost on devices connecting to the repeater router, the repeater router also cannot ping sites on the internet. This makes me think that it may not be solely related to settings on the virtual wireless network, as the repeater router itself loses its connection to the internet (while maintaining a good WiFi client connection to the normal router).
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 19:44    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
Channel width on both routers ?
dancfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
VSparxx wrote:

20 on both.

Thanks.
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:57    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
dancfuller wrote:
VSparxx wrote:

20 on both.

Thanks.

Try changing to "Wide HT40" on the repeater, see how it goes.
dancfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 20:18    Post subject: Re: Archer C7 as repeater - Internet stops working after 5-1 Reply with quote
VSparxx wrote:
dancfuller wrote:
VSparxx wrote:

20 on both.

Thanks.

Try changing to "Wide HT40" on the repeater, see how it goes.

Same result, unfortunately. It works for < 15 seconds, then no internet access on devices connected to the repeater (whether if those devices are WiFi or hard-wired).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: