HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
DKosta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:00    Post subject: Re: CABLE YES, WIRELESS NO! Reply with quote
Also, Could somebobe clarify it:

from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Broadcom
Virtual Interfaces Section Add
Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Different from Primary Router [NOTE] - You CAN try using the same SSID but it usually will not work properly. Many have had random disconnects and/or no connection if the SSID's are the same.

Virtual Interfaces Section Add
Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Same as the primary router (v24SP2 I have not had any problems with signal dropping) [NOTE] - You CAN try using the same SSID but it usually will not work properly. Many have had random disconnects and/or no connection if the SSID's are the same.

There is the same NOTEs - I can not understand it.
Please, help !!!
Sponsor
miyavkedi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 14:31    Post subject: Re: CABLE YES, WIRELESS NO! Reply with quote
snusnu311 wrote:
wadami wrote:
wadami wrote:
Hi everyone
I tried the steps posted above but I couldn't repeat my wifi signal Sad
I keep getting "Network Security Key Mismatch", I tried changing the key, setting to the same as the primary router, changing the SSID and other settings but I couldn't get it to work.
Any ideas?

Thanks

after some hours spent, I got it working by changing the routers (now my WR740N is the first router)
I didn't want to do that but it's the way it's working and it's working fine!

damn, that cant be! I have the same problem!

I am using a FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7570 vDSL as main router wit h DHCP. repeater shall be a TL-WR740N v4. I flashed the repeater with DD-WRT v24-sp2.

It works to the point that I can access internet from my laptop over the repeater via WIRE (!), I cant access the internet wirelessly. He tells me that my wpa2 key must be wrong. this cant be! I checked this over and over a hundred times.

what else can it be that I cannot connect to the router wirelessly but with network cable? =(

Same problem with my WR941ND
My topic is
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=166118
If anybody can help i'll appreciate
miyavkedi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys! I flashed my WR941ND v3 with the latest firmware and DHCP over Wi-Fi works!! Maybe you have to go for the last version. Thanks to Sash for the info. See you!
tarun agrawal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 16:56    Post subject: TL-WR841N V 8.2 to work as repeater mode Reply with quote
dear friends
m new to this forum , but after seraching for my problem i got to know abt this awesome forum .

My problem is
I have one Dlink 2750u modem cum router as primary router in my ground floor , working great till 1'st floor .
but my room is in 2nd floor , and i have one Tp link TL-WR841N V 8.2 extra with me . I want to use this tp link router in first floor as wireless repeater to extend the signal to 2nd floor (and as i cant do wiring internally in my home ) .
please help.
P.s : i have found DD-wrt firmware for all versions except version 8.2 . so please help .
alparcero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo

I have got a wrt160nl and I can't do it.... I read this topic but I couldn't create a bridge client and seeing the router wifi.

I don't know if really, the wrt160nl admits the mode bridge client. It is possible????
bipolarbear
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 21:05    Post subject: Repeater_Bridge#Atheros Reply with quote
okay... I'm slowly making progress...

I finally realized that there is an Atheros section here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

I'm stuck on step 2.

Atheros
Setup

Follow the instructions above except:

6. Open the Wireless -> Basic Settings tab

Physical Interface Section
Wireless Mode : Client Bridge (routed)
Default Gateway Mode : Manual

Does anyone know how I can set the Default Gateway Mode to "Manual"? It's not an option that I can find anywhere in the interface.

my hardware: Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N
my software: Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std
my software AKA: v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build: 14896

(this router has been flashed with the community build and no longer has the DDWRT firmware from Buffalo on it)

Thanks!
Crazyapothocary
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 13:45    Post subject: Repeater_Bridge - Atheros Reply with quote
I am new to dd-wrt but I just got this fixed myself. I have a DLink Whole Home 1000 (DIR-645)router as my wired AP running standard FW and a DIR-615 C1 router as the bridge. I tried to set the bridge up using the 14898 and the 14989 builds and could get the my client devices to connect to the VAP. When I upgraded to 18XXX & 19XXX FW upgrades, my wireless radio turned off and would not turn back on. My solution was to downgrade to build 14280. This works perfectly so here are the steps.
1. Set up your router as directed using "Client Bridge" mode. With Atheros this is equivalent to Repeater Bridge Mode in other devices, using the same settings as your main router.
2. Create a VAP using the same settings but a different SSID.
3. Make sure your firewall is off
4. Make sure you are in modem mode.
5. To be on the safe side I went to status/Wireless/site survey and clicked on connect for the appropriate wireless router.
6. Place your router where it will give you best signal for currently dead areas
Voila. A fully functioning bridge, only problem is that the connection between routers is 11g and not 11n. I think this is something to do with the wireless security and I may disable the security on the VAP and replace by using the MAC filter
Crazyapothocary
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 13:54    Post subject: Gateway mode to manual Reply with quote
In Basic setup, you fill out the IP address you want your router to have. If your main router is 192.168.1.1, you might pick 192.168.1.6. It must NOT be within the DHCP range of the main router. Set the Subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to the address of your main router, in this example it would be 192.168.1.1. You can leave the DNS empty.
You have set your Gateway to manual. Smile
syossi2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:27    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
rinja wrote:
hey Sash, i wasn't trying to say i don't like the EOC2610, but i do have an activated copy of DD-WRT on an EOC2610 that i received this week & i didn't find the option for "AP Repeater"....i do find WDS AP/STATION, but not AP Repeater...basically was pointing out what differences i found...cheers...;-}

we're here on atheros not broadcom. so there is noch repeater in the drop down! u will have to be a bit more creative. u will have to add a vap and set it up as ap while u connect the main interface to the source ap as client.

better explained:
chris wrote:
Hi,

to build a reapeater, you have to create a client (or wds-station) and then add another VAP with a new AP.

The new VAP does not have to have the same ssid or encryption settings, but it CAN have the same values.

The new VAP is only available, if the client interface is logged into the other (to be repeated) ap.

If you are used to Broadcom based firmwares, that's a difference.

hi
new VAP is only available, if the client interface is logged into the other (to be repeated)

is this still happend for all atheros FW ?

tnaks
yossi

wrt54gs 1.1 ( love it)
whr-hp-54 ( love it)
tp-link 841ND ( love it)
whr-hp-300n (dont love it)
asus rt ac66u ( love it)
aboka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 17:58    Post subject: Need help with Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
Hi! I would like to extend my wireless coverage by adding a Repeater Bridge to my network. I am using TP-Link TL-WR740N v4 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12) std.

I have follow everything in this article here - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge but i just cant make it work. I use the Atheros part at the bottom then continue settings from point #7.

It will work if I plug in a cable but not for WiFi. Everytime i try to connect, it will say 'Acquiring network address' but it will not connects.

Please advice. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now, I´ve got a problem:

I´ve got two tplink_tl-wr841nd.
One in version 7, the other in version 8.
On both I have the BrainSlayer Version "05-27-2013-r21676".
The version 7 works as AP (AccessPoint) very well, but the other V8 who should work as WLAN Repeater in ClientRouter mode(Bridged) have no access to the internet.

The Internet Router has 192.168.1.1, the V8 Router has the 192.168.1.2 and the V7 Router has 192.168.1.3.

when i´m connected via LAN at the router V7 (ClientBridged) I can ping ALL other Routers but I´ve got no access to Internet. WHY???

I need help Please
Rolling Eyes
aboka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
barkley2000 wrote:
Now, I´ve got a problem:

The version 7 works as AP (AccessPoint) very well, but the other V8 who should work as WLAN Repeater in ClientRouter mode(Bridged) have no access to the internet.

The Internet Router has 192.168.1.1, the V8 Router has the 192.168.1.2 and the V7 Router has 192.168.1.3.

when i´m connected via LAN at the router V7 (ClientBridged) I can ping ALL other Routers but I´ve got no access to Internet. WHY???

I need help Please
Rolling Eyes

Hi! I have kinda fix my issue. The reason i find is not all model/version works in Repeater Bridge. Maybe there is a fix, but i have not yet find them.

About your issue, i see you mention about Wireless Bridge, that will only works when you are using a LAN cable. It only acts as a bridge for your wireless connection.

The only thing i could imagine now is maybe your DHCP? Since you could Ping the main router. Anyway, check out my link above as that is how i make mine works. Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
aboka wrote:
barkley2000 wrote:
Now, I´ve got a problem:

I need help Please
Rolling Eyes

Hi! I have kinda fix my issue. The reason i find is not all model/version works in Repeater Bridge. Maybe there is a fix, but i have not yet find them.

About your issue, i see you mention about Wireless Bridge, that will only works when you are using a LAN cable. It only acts as a bridge for your wireless connection.

The only thing i could imagine now is maybe your DHCP? Since you could Ping the main router. Anyway, check out my link above as that is how i make mine works. Good luck Smile

here ist my configuration:

-second floor is the internetrouter 192.168.1.1
-first floor in my living room the second router (vCool, connection over LAN to the internetrouter
- third router in the kitchen (v7) should be connected to the wlan from the v8 router in the living room.

i tried to ping from my laptop which is connceted via cable to the kitchen router (v7), every router answered. only that i have no internet connection here.

you mean dhcp is the reason? the second router ist configured as AP, but dhcp is disabled. dhcp router is the internetrouter. the wlan at router2 has internet.

where is the failure?
aboka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
barkley2000: Try to setup the v8 as a Repeater Bridge. Follow this link - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 15:23    Post subject: 3 routers in all I moved my original thread to here. Reply with quote
From this link:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

I have Two WZR-600DHP's. One of them downstairs connected as the gateway router to the cable modem. AP also on this router so I can connect devices closer to it on those radios.

Second WZR-600HPD on the next level in the kitchen wired to the router downstairs as a Wireless Access point. Followed wiki link above.

I have two more routers I wish to expand the network even further since the house is Quad level the rooms at the top floor suffer bandwidth a bit connecting to the expanded router in the kitchen. 3 Tv's that connect to Netflix, Wireless PC's and XBOX, all upstairs.

I would like to use these last two routers WZR-HP-AG300h's to expand even further.

From the wiki how would I go about expanding those two routers? Would I use WDS, Bridged-Client?

I would like to just expand the wifi but in either case each has to have its own unique SSID or is there a protocol that will allow me to expand using the other two routers sharing the same SSID as the two radios on the Router in the kitchen, the WZR-600DHP?

So which protocol would work best for me? The easiest yet without sacrificing bandwidth.

Repeater looks a bit complicated. Buffalo has a video tutorial on WDS adding virtual devices to the routers. Is this the option I would go with?

If so would I enable the WDS on the router in the kitchen which is wired to the gateway router in the basement?

Thanks

EDITED 6-9-13 PM

I think I am better of going 3 routers not 4. SO I want to keep the gateway router linked to the one in the kitchen with the ethernet cable.

How would I enable WDS on the 3rd router? WOuld I make the one in the kitchen a WDS-AP and the third router upstairs a WDS-Station?

I did try it this way and the third router did not connect. I followed the WDS procedure but did not enable WDS on the host (Gateway Router) downstairs because it wired to the one in the kitchen as a wired access point already.

The IP of the one in the kitchen is 192.168.1.2 and the one on the 3rd floor is 192.168.1.3.

Should the gateway and DNS of the 3rd router upstairs be the ip address 192.168.1.2, that of the 2nd router in the kitchen and not the host Gateway (main router) being so far away which is 192.168.1.1? The one in the kitchen, 2nd router does have the Gateway and DNS IP of the Host (Gateway Router) 192.168.1.1

For WDS not sure what mac addresses to put into the one in the kitchen WDS-AP and the one upstair WDS-Station?

In advanced routing do I need to change the interface Dynamic Routing as default disabled or change it to LAN & WAN?

Also the section below on Static Routing do I need to fill in that information or is this only when going with Repeater Bridge?

Will WDS even work this way anyhow?

EDITED AGAIN 6-10-13 AM

After reading the WIKI again there is a section on Atheros based chips which is what these routers are based on so the question I had about the adding the Mac address to the WDS tables should not be done and it seems only needed for Broadcom chips.

I have successfully connected all three routers wired no problems all with the Same SSID's and different channels same security settings.

When I go with the WDS setup for router 2 and 3, I just cannot seem to make wireless connections to the 3rd router, WDS-Station but I can connect to router 2, the WDS-AP after adding the virtual Interface access points to router 2 and 3. Is it possible to make WDS configurations to router 2 and 3 with router 1 wired into router 2 as a linked router access point per wiki.

Hope someone can get me some answers on this overly bloated post. Sorry about that but I think my questions are valid and interesting to say the least since this configuration is not in the WIKI.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: