HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
T1G3R
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't seem to get any network traffic from my repeater (DIR-601) through my AP. I posted a thread about it and would be so, so grateful for help.

I can ping the repeater but pinging the main router fails. I've tried it with security turned off.

It's in client mode, client bridge mode fails repeatedly. I have tried power cycling twice as well, and the main router still shows 0% signal while the repeater shows around 40%. The repeater is definitely getting an IP (and the correct one) from the AP, and I can connect both via a LAN cable and WiFi to the repeater. It's just that from there, nothing is happening.

Thanks!
Sponsor
fratzicu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 16:39    Post subject: Re: Repeater_Bridge - Atheros Reply with quote
Crazyapothocary wrote:
I am new to dd-wrt but I just got this fixed myself. I have a DLink Whole Home 1000 (DIR-645)router as my wired AP running standard FW and a DIR-615 C1 router as the bridge. I tried to set the bridge up using the 14898 and the 14989 builds and could get the my client devices to connect to the VAP. When I upgraded to 18XXX & 19XXX FW upgrades, my wireless radio turned off and would not turn back on. My solution was to downgrade to build 14280. This works perfectly so here are the steps.
1. Set up your router as directed using "Client Bridge" mode. With Atheros this is equivalent to Repeater Bridge Mode in other devices, using the same settings as your main router.
2. Create a VAP using the same settings but a different SSID.
3. Make sure your firewall is off
4. Make sure you are in modem mode.
5. To be on the safe side I went to status/Wireless/site survey and clicked on connect for the appropriate wireless router.
6. Place your router where it will give you best signal for currently dead areas
Voila. A fully functioning bridge, only problem is that the connection between routers is 11g and not 11n. I think this is something to do with the wireless security and I may disable the security on the VAP and replace by using the MAC filter

Hi,

I confirm that the version 14280 works with my TEW-632BRP routers in both WDS and Wireless repeater bridge, with WPE and WPA2 AES encryption. It didn't work if I bridged the WAN to the switch. I tried with other dd-wrt versions and didn't work. Also, I tried Gargoyle firmware and worked only with Client Bridge, not WDS and disconnects often. OpenWRT is great, but lacks automatisation of web interface, you have to read tons of documentation that often is outdated.

Good luck to you all.
bababooey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the repeater mode for ath chipset, allow for seperate isolated subnet? Or is it a repeater bridge setup? Im curious because I want to use one as a vpn client for connected users.
f0xG3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 17:02    Post subject: Repeater setup and maximizing Bandwidth Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Here's my equipment:

1x Pocket Wifi from provider (seems broadcasting only at 2.4Ghz, supports bgn) - Call this M
1x Dual Channel (1x 2.4Ghz and 1x 5Ghz) Wifi-N Wireless Router; D-Link 825 - call this Router A
1x 2.4GHz Wifi-N Wireless Router ASUS RT-N13u v1 - call this Router B

I'm aware that attempting to repeat M's signal via B in Repeater Bridge and wireless clients connecting to it via the same 2.4Ghz Channel will immediately reduce throughput to 50%. I was thinking if this setup is possible to maximize bandwidth :

1. M is repeated by A via the 2.4Ghz Radio Repeater/Client Bridge. M provides DHCP.
2. Wireless Clients may connect to A via the 5Ghz Radio
3. B is turned into a Router (or AP?) via a LAN connection from A to B.
4. Wireless Clients may connect to B via the 2.4Ghz Radio.

Any thoughts? Very Happy thanks Smile
TPadam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
how to setup the vap and ap ..
go to wireless then what to do ?\
any step top step help or screenshot oh how should it be ..

at the vap to choose ap
and the wireless client or how

my router is tplink wr750n
look at the screenshot in my post here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=192223
wqandrade
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 23:23    Post subject: Same SSID Reply with quote
Does anyone tried to keep - in client bridge mode - the same SSID between the AP and VAP?

I tried but some devides (like the iPhone) did not connect very wel...any others experiences?

TPLINK WR 740N v2.1 (01/10/14) std - build 23320
LINKSYS E2000 - died (12/17/13) big - build 23138
LINKSYS E3200 1.0 (01/10/14) mega - build 23320 K3.x
AirPort Extreme 5th Gen - AP
firemanpek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 21:29    Post subject: I got it working thanks to all Reply with quote
Hey guys i am currently running a DIR 825 (secondary) to my tompson tg587n modem router(primary telstra).
Took me a long time and a lot of reading to set this up.
Strange things seem to happen while i was trying to set this up, for example at the part where you click on site survey it showed 2 of the same ssids and mac addresses for my home. It also would not let me join either of them. My solution was to power cycle the second router and to my surprise it automatically connected ie. without me going to site survey again. One other strange thing is the wireless security needs to be tkip+aes and i set the security on primary as wap while the security on secondary is wap2 personal. Anyway it is working great. I am getting the same speed and ping from my repeater to the internet as through my primary router. I am not using the 5ghz at all as none of my equipment uses it (that i know of) anyway if anyone has any questions i a happy to share. Thanks, Damo Very Happy
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 21:56    Post subject: Re: Same SSID Reply with quote
wqandrade wrote:
Does anyone tried to keep - in client bridge mode - the same SSID between the AP and VAP?

You don't post brand by your post is a Atheros
[NOTE] - You CAN try using the same SSID but it usually will not work properly. Many have had random disconnects and/or no connection if the SSID's are the same.
kicsrules
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a dir 615 i1 , ethernet as repeater bridge is working ok, no IP lease on wireless... :/

edit: using as repeater, still no ip lease, stuck on obtaining IP address on mobile devices and no IP on computers.

:/

edit: changed wep encryption to wpa personal...

working great
skaxxo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 16:05    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
The new VAP is only available, if the client interface is logged into the other (to be repeated) ap.

I have an TL-WR703N with dd-wrt in repeater mode.

Can it be avaible when isn't logged in the other ap?
Is there a workaround for this issue?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 15:28    Post subject: bonjour Reply with quote
Ok,got everything working the way I wanted. Using router as repeater, the only thing that doesn't work is airplay. I've read about mdns-repeater and i tried it but i think its compiled for different router is there any other way to get airplay working?

thanks
joe
dookie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 21:25    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
skaxxo wrote:
Sash wrote:
The new VAP is only available, if the client interface is logged into the other (to be repeated) ap.

I have an TL-WR703N with dd-wrt in repeater mode.

Can it be avaible when isn't logged in the other ap?
Is there a workaround for this issue?

I also think DD-WRT being able to be up and available in a standalone VAP mode will be very useful for a travel router, like the TL-WR703N. It's useful because making a change in the settings isn't possible unless I have a laptop with a wired connection. When I am travelling with a travel router, a laptop may not be available.
rodrigo8888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
It wasn't working for me until I updated to latest dd-wrt build (Found mine in http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F)
rodrigo8888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently for a NETGEAR WN2000RPT v2 (FCC PY310200135).
This is a Wifi Extender but for practical things of DD-WRT its exactly THE SAME than WNR2000v3 so whatever you need for this router apply as it were a WNR2000v3.

To have a private network in my office I wanted a Wireless bridge setted up as VAP (What does it means?) Separate, private network but with a bridged wireless connection to a router we share with other office. If this is what you want look for VAP.

*(VAP wouldn't be good if you want computers be accessible from one router to another)

Steps to setup VAP on WRN2000v3 (or WN2000v2).

1. Install DD-WRT
Download files from http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F

2. Go to basic and setup router ip to 192.168.2.1.

3. Go to Wireless settings and set the Physical Interface ath0 as Client mode, click apply.

3. Go to Status > Wireless > Site survey > Select network and click join. After click continue ir will redirect to wireless settings.

4. Go to Wireless settings and under under Virtual Interfaces ath0.1 choose a SSID for your VAP. Click Apply.

5. Go to Wireless security and set passwords for Physical interface (Host router) and Virtual interface (Your VAP)

6. Repeat step 3 and it should be working.
bwisely
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's seem not ok now for the LAN-type WDS too.
Because I try to upgade to new one 2014 version, and it will be got the router cannot login web to d any configuration when set to LAN-type WDS.
Also the WDS-AP will always reboot when we want config any thing thru web.

the LAN-type WDS cannot workable now with one SSID.

could you help to check this function?

thanks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: