HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
heiler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: TP-Link WR841ND v7
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27453 (06/25/15)
Kernel: Linux 3.10.81 #4946 Thu Jun 25 05:29:12 CEST 2015 mips
Reset: YES

As with other older versions, I get a lot of TCP Retransmissions and TCP out-of-order packets while trying to access its webgui.

It's setup as 192.168.0.2, client bridge (routed), with 192.168.0.1 being the main AP. Both are on my room (hell, 5m apart) and my PC is wired to the main AP.

This is my PC pinging it, after a simple "telnet 192.168.0.2 80"

Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
royle wrote:
Hello dd-wrt-ers,

I have a problem setting up the "repeater bridge" configuration on my WRT-160NL. I followed the Atheros guide (http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) - the first part went well, but the second part (VAP part) wasn't working. After a day of reconfiguring both the host and repeater routers I found out where the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it:

On the host (primary) router I've set up a "DHCP address reservation" for my PC (x.y.z.13) and when the rule is enabled, I don't see neither the host router, nor I can access the internet when connected wirelessly (still works OK if I connect by wire). If I disable the rule everything works fine, but (of course) the host router now assigns the PC a different IP (x.y.z.101 for example).

Is there a workaround for this problem or is it impossible to have both static LAN IP addresses and working VAP connection?

lp, royle

The WRT160NL does repeater bridge very well...using new builds.
The wiki is a bit confusing in the atheros area.
make sure -
setup/basic settings/
WAN is disabled
DHCP server is disabled -- it shouldn't even show once you put ath0 into Client Bridge (Routed)
IP should be one within your subnet not being used
gateway should be whatever IP holds your WAN to the world and you should also use this as local DNS assuming that is the box doing the DHCP and holds static leases.
setup/basic settings/advance routing/ set to router
services -- disable DNSMasq
should be using WPA2-aes security
ath0 in Client Bridge (Routed) mode and security must match what it's bridged to
should have different SSID for ath0.1 -- it should be in AP mode
ath0.1 can but does not have to use same WPA2 aes security key

also note that your DHCP lease for your PC will have a different MAC wired than its wireless card MAC. Check that all is correct on your primary router if you want it to have a designated IP
good luck -
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
this sticky needs a clean up especially the original post, its titled "how to" but theres no real guide..just bits & pieces of old scattered data over time, id imagine this being very confusing to new &/or less advanced users..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
this sticky needs a clean up especially the original post, its titled "how to" but theres no real guide..just bits & pieces of old scattered data over time, id imagine this being very confusing to new &/or less advanced users..

Yes Sir, there tends to be too much that is probably scary/confusing to some.
On any atheros build I've used in last several months the RB setup is identical to a broadcom device except for atheros physical wireless interface (2.4 or 5GHz) you use Client Bridge (Routed) instead of broadcom's 'Repeater Bridge'. I only have two atheros devices WRT160NL & WNDR3700v4 and process is same for them --- don't know if different for other models -- I wouldn't think so.
Murrkf actually has a good short version description in the broadcom peacock post (way down toward the bottom) but since it's hard to get broadcom users to read it ain't likely atheros users will Cool
rehpej
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
can i make dir300 as a wifi extender? i have make it to a client bridge but no wifi. on the ddwrt screen, wan 'disabled'. and way/s to get it working?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
add a vap. look on the wifi page click the add button

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

rehpej
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have one vap. my wireless can detect it, but its signal is marked as red X
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
then u have a incompatible client or wrong security setting for it. use wpa2 aes only not tkip & the vap follows the host, if the host is using g mode only the vap is g mode only, etc

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

rehpej
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
theres a signal now. but when i got connected it says 'no internet access'.

edit: oh wait. i restarted the router it miraculously its working. thanks

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
heiler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it just with me that's so slow??
wr841nd repeater mode?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
heiler wrote:
wr841nd repeater mode?
Different radios and different firmware will act differently. I don't have your model router but I have had very good results with mine on many of the newer builds. You should know while connected to the vap the speed will be about half as what it would be connected directly to an AP..... 'It has to repeat the wireless signal'. This really should not be noticeably unless you have a super fast internet connection and comparing speedtests between it and a regular AP. The more active devices connected the slower.... just like anything else.
If you have an extremely slow connection with the bridge you should check that all settings are correct.... Plenty of posts around about atheros wireless settings. If that don't help try a different dd-wrt build. Find its build thread and do some reading - - - might find post about your particular router.
heiler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
heiler wrote:
wr841nd repeater mode?
Different radios and different firmware will act differently. I don't have your model router but I have had very good results with mine on many of the newer builds. You should know while connected to the vap the speed will be about half as what it would be connected directly to an AP..... 'It has to repeat the wireless signal'. This really should not be noticeably unless you have a super fast internet connection and comparing speedtests between it and a regular AP. The more active devices connected the slower.... just like anything else.
If you have an extremely slow connection with the bridge you should check that all settings are correct.... Plenty of posts around about atheros wireless settings. If that don't help try a different dd-wrt build. Find its build thread and do some reading - - - might find post about your particular router.

I'm using a TP-Link WR841ND v7

It's setup as 192.168.0.2, client bridge (routed), with 192.168.0.1 being the main AP. Both are on my room (hell, 5m apart, for now) and my PC is wired to the main AP.

If my phone connects to the main AP, I get 31mbit/s downloads on speedtest.net (that's my ISP bandwidth).

On the other hand, if my phone connects to the WR841, I get a much lower (~15mbit) dl speed and non-responsive web browsing.

Also, while pinging from my PC, the wired AP has a ~1ms ping replies, while the WR841 has ~10ms pings
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
heiler wrote:
Also, while pinging from my PC, the wired AP has a ~1ms ping replies, while the WR841 has ~10ms pings

I've got some outrageous stuff pinging thru a RB with some atheros builds. TTL=53, TTL=63 with extremely long ms time. You should be able to find a build that works ---- might try the latest if you are not already using it.

Your speed thru the bridge seems right ... don't know why you have 'non-responsive web browsing' ... likely a configuration issue.

EDIT: Check all the settings for RB mode and you might put the RB router up on a 192.168.0.200 IP (assuming you are using /24 subnet mask) just to make sure no conflicts with other devices ... reboot everything!

And http://testmy.net/ is a better speedtest Smile
heiler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
heiler wrote:

I've got some outrageous stuff pinging thru a RB with some atheros builds. TTL=53, TTL=63 with extremely long ms time. You should be able to find a build that works ---- might try the latest if you are not already using it.

Your speed thru the bridge seems right ... don't know why you have 'non-responsive web browsing' ... likely a configuration issue.

EDIT: Check all the settings for RB mode and you might put the RB router up on a 192.168.0.200 IP (assuming you are using /24 subnet mask) just to make sure no conflicts with other devices ... reboot everything!

And http://testmy.net/ is a better speedtest Smile

Well it's a 300mbit router, and it seems to be connected to the main AP on that speed. So why it can't handle 30mbit/s transfers? That's 10 times less! It's like a traffic shaping to 9mbit. Speedtest never shows more than 9,99 when I'm connected to the repeater!

The browsing issue must be caused by the high pings, which delays any clicks on links etc.

I can't find any IP conflicts, the DHCP won't give lower than .10 IP to anyone.. and I have rebooted too many times already, since it's been happening for weeks...
BigWinnie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 18:27    Post subject: repeater mode Reply with quote
Hi guys. I have a problem with creating repeater mode and I don't know what sould I do so please help. I have a Cisco modem and after that a Tp-Link WDR3600 router. They are in LAN-LAN connection, not WAN-LAN. On the router DHCP is off. There is an other router, a Tp-Link WR941ND v3.6. I installed DD-WRT on it, and would like to place as a repeater in the other room. But I can't find repeater mode on it, just AP; Client; Client Bridge (routed); Adhoc; WDS Station; WDS AP. So I don't know how should I adjust the router. Please help me in this problem!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 11 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: