Asus WL-500W not responding

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
feppaspot_william
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Response: Host is down (Remember thats a mac ping client, I think that means request time out)

No ttl at all, as there is no response from the router... (thats what I could see....)

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
feppaspot_william wrote:
Response: Host is down (Remember thats a mac ping client, I think that means request time out)

I got that same response when I tried to ping a non-existent ip address from my mac os. Did you try power cycling, and a hard reset while monitoring the ping responses?

I would also try it from a windows computer.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
feppaspot_william
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried 30/30/30 many times as stated, that would cover power cycling already.

Yes, the ping is on all day long to see if there is any gap time I could sneak in but no luck. I even get a switch connected in between to avoid the interface goes up and down time lag.

I don't have a windows computer with me, I only use VMWare, so that would be even more unpredictable I believe to try it in VMWare.

Host is down should be equal to Request Timeout. So you are right, pinging a non-existent IP within same subnet should give you host is down too. I tried to ping a non-existent IP in same subnet it shows as host is down, but then if you try to ping something outside your subnet and non-existent it should not have any response at all. So the router's interface is basically down completely once we got the LAN plugged (I believe thats what pock saying when the LAN is plugged it went out of Restore mode, basically it just hung there)

I just really hope if Asus would add a serial port into the router with LAN #1 on the empty pins + an RJ45 serial cable would save a lot lifes here Sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
feppaspot_william wrote:
I tried 30/30/30 many times as stated, that would cover power cycling already.

Nope. This is not correct.

(ask me how I know....Crying or Very sad )

Go back and follow all the steps carefully in note 6. No cutting corners.

Although I think you will need to open her up, you should do troubleshooting properly first.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
The cost associated with adding a Serial cable to the router is minimal. If you are going to use dd-wrt I would suggest having a router with jtag'd/serial access. If you browse the ASUS Wl500w not responding thread, RedHawk's setup is far better than messing around with a Miro Serial/USB board. The Serial cable was 10.99 on ebay and you can pick up alligator clips at any Radio shack for 5 dollars. Pin headers are about 1.60 on ebay

Pock

To think, after all this time, all our chats together you still don't trust me. There's hope for you yet, doctor.
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
feppaspot_william,

Any Progress?

To think, after all this time, all our chats together you still don't trust me. There's hope for you yet, doctor.
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
feppaspot_william,

Any Progress?

Im stuck will similar problems in my thread too Pock (dont know if you personally replied...)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48840
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had no other problems with my router. All seems well Still..

y_farkash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a problem with an Asus wl-500w and was reading thorough the thread. There are references to a 'peacock' thread, note 6. Where do I find that?

I will probably try it and if unsuccessful post for some help.

Cheers,

Y.Farkash
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39529

Give it a try. It is a very useful thread.

Pock

y_farkash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I've been reading through many of the threads and I think I am not in a technical position to go through what Pock did. I don't really solder etc, nor is it (personally) worth my time.

I have to say that the community here is amazing and this is the first time I actually feel a community online.

I will try the pin 9 method since it is faster and if that fails I might just get a new router. I will still stick to DD-WRT, that's for sure!

I realize it is a risky move and that the NVRAM approach is better, but I am not intending on learning low-level electronics just to get an internet connection up.

By the way, I never explained how I got my router messed up. I had DD-WRT installed (I can't remember which SVN, but it was the SP2), and it was working fine. I had a printer shared and that worked great and I wanted to share a HD with the second USB port. I was following the HDSamba2 v3 thread (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46602&highlight=hdsamba) method which seemed to work but I was chasing some issues there. In parallel I was also trying to get a torrent client going on and installed enhanced-ctorrent. the torrent was working fine and I just about figured out my issues with the Samba share when I came across a script to automate torrent downloads. This script was supposed to be put into CRON and when I used the DD-WRT interface to put the lines into CRON was the last time my router functioned. I was silly to deal with two issues (Samba and torrent) in parallel as I am not sure which made the mess, but I suspect it is the torrent-automation script.

Anyways, thank you all for being great and welcoming to so many people!

Cheers,

Y.Farkash
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
y_farkash,

I was never brave enough to try the 9pin method.. If you happen to change your mind about the soldering, I'll assist in anyway I can.

Good Luck

Pock

BFP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
After my second try (and very carefully using 30/30/30 at every step), I was able to successfully install DD-WRT on my WL-500W. I was not, however, able to get my printer working. I enabled all the USB and USB printer settings along with JFFS, but once I set up the printer to print to this IP address, the print jobs always fail.

The tutorials for USB support are extremely confusing- I'm not sure which steps do or don't need to be followed when using v24 sp2 build. Can someone give me an idea of what I need to do to get my HP F4100 running properly?
y_farkash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pock,

Thanks for the offer. The pin 9 method worked fine and the router is up and running again. One weird thing though you might know: After shorting the pin I went through TFTPing the clear-nvram.trx and the recover.trx. When I was logging-in to DD-WRT web gui my old username/password were still on the router. After using teh web gui to install the MEGA firmware I noticed that all my old settings (wireless security etc) were still valid. I certainly went through a number of 30-30-30 cycles. How come all my settings are still there?!?

BFP,

Before I messed up my router I had print sharing working perfect. I used the instructions here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_on_ASUS_WL500GPV2

I am not familiar with your printer (I have a Canon i450) but the router setup is not dependent on the printer. Are you sure you followed the instruction properly as well as checked to see that the files are in the right place? Try SSHing into the router and 'top' to see if the print daemon is up. Either way, I think this is the wrong thread to deal with printer issues.

Good luck, and if it doesn't work start a new thread or PM me.

Cheers,

Y.Farkash
Ted
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:01    Post subject: Asus WL-500W not responding Reply with quote
I have two Asus Wl-500W, one is running stable with 11482M NEWD EKO as a print server with p910nd, as a NAS and a web server for four months.

I picked up another one about a month ago and had the same symptoms as "pock" had. I had to de-bricked it with the pin 9 method. It has been running for two weeks 24/7 as a print server and a NAS with 11762M NEWD EKO build.

Thanks to the people who provide the wiki on the Asus Wl-500W.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: