Asus WL-500W not responding

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Ted
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:19    Post subject: Asus WL-500W not responding Reply with quote
Sorry I meant to say 10776 build then changed to 11482.
Sponsor
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
More pin 9 stories....

I mean Its alot of effort to go to a store about 20 miles away and get all this stuff (and hope they have it) and HOPE that it works.

I may go the pin 9 method after all...
y_farkash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I'm back.

OK, I manged to get my router non-responsive again (and fix using the pin 9 method again). This time my settings were not kept (which is good).

Has anyone had an issue with using CRON via the gui?

Both times I got my router non-responsive was by adding a line to the CRON schedule via the gui, saving and "apply changes". When the router was rebooting, well, it wasn't. :-)

I am now with Eko v24-TNG 11793 Mega and hope it will work well. But if anyone has an idea how to add CRON jobs not via the gui I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,

Y.Farkash
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
y_farkash wrote:
Hi, I'm back.

OK, I manged to get my router non-responsive again (and fix using the pin 9 method again). This time my settings were not kept (which is good).

Both times I got my router non-responsive was by adding a line to the CRON schedule via the gui, saving and "apply changes". When the router was rebooting, well, it wasn't. :-)

I am now with Eko v24-TNG 11793 Mega and hope it will work well. But if anyone has an idea how to add CRON jobs not via the gui I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,

Y.Farkash

Could you (with pictures) point out what the pin 9 method is on the Asus WL500W? Thanks.
y_farkash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
riahc3,

I found the instructions in a thread you started, did you never notice it? The WL-500W is identical to the WL500g Premium (WL500gP). The thread I was reading is:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48840&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pin&start=0
on page two the second message is from PUNiZZLE, which links here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2507

That's it. All you need is a pair f steady hands which wasn't too demanding and friend to help out. What I did is I got my router open, got the internal metal cover off (just like the thread says) and found the pin. I then took a sawing needle, connected it to a piece of wire (threded the wire through the needle and looped it around the needle a few times) and disconnected the power supply from the wall while leaving it plugged into the router. It is hard to plug it into the router while you hold the wires and that's where the friend's part is: while you hold the needle against pin 9 and the wire against the power (as explained in the thread I linked above) your friend will plug the power into the wall, count to 20 and plug it out. Alternatively, you can always get your friend to hold the needle, blame him for frying your router if something goes wrong and get him to buy you a new one. Since my girlfriend helped me I held the needle. She still had reservation with plugging it in while I am sticking my hands into the router's guts but I managed to explain that I will only face a 12V danger by saying "just stick it in there for 20 seconds and get it over with!" which she understood very well.

Hope that helps!

Y.Farkash

P.S: if you don't currently have a gf or a wife I wouldn't use my line, it can be interpreted differently and you might find the router is the least of your problems.
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
y_farkash wrote:
riahc3,

I found the instructions in a thread you started, did you never notice it? The WL-500W is identical to the WL500g Premium (WL500gP). The thread I was reading is:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48840&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pin&start=0
on page two the second message is from PUNiZZLE, which links here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2507

That's it. All you need is a pair f steady hands which wasn't too demanding and friend to help out. What I did is I got my router open, got the internal metal cover off (just like the thread says) and found the pin. I then took a sawing needle, connected it to a piece of wire (threded the wire through the needle and looped it around the needle a few times) and disconnected the power supply from the wall while leaving it plugged into the router. It is hard to plug it into the router while you hold the wires and that's where the friend's part is: while you hold the needle against pin 9 and the wire against the power (as explained in the thread I linked above) your friend will plug the power into the wall, count to 20 and plug it out. Alternatively, you can always get your friend to hold the needle, blame him for frying your router if something goes wrong and get him to buy you a new one. Since my girlfriend helped me I held the needle. She still had reservation with plugging it in while I am sticking my hands into the router's guts but I managed to explain that I will only face a 12V danger by saying "just stick it in there for 20 seconds and get it over with!" which she understood very well.

Hope that helps!

Y.Farkash

P.S: if you don't currently have a gf or a wife I wouldn't use my line, it can be interpreted differently and you might find the router is the least of your problems.

The only part that I didnt understand well was the ground. I connect the needle to what: thin air? I consider that to connect something to ground, I should connect it to something metal but Im not too sure thats why I want to be 100% sure.
skyraven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there,

I also have a spooky situation if someone can help Smile and don't flame me..I was experimenting with Oleg's firmware..and now the router is bricked..
Bricked for me:
1) no response to ping
2) sometimes all LEDs remain on
3) I connected a serial - usb adaptor + cable to it and I can see:

Device eth0: hwaddr 00-1E-8C-72-2E-CE, ipaddr 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0
gateway not set, nameserver not set
Null Rescue Flag.
Reading :: TFTP Server.
Failed.: Timeout occured
Loader:raw Filesys:raw Dev:flash0.os File: Options:(null)
Loading: . 0 bytes read
Failed.
Could not load flash0.os:: Error
http://www.zacpod.com/?p=13&cpage=1#comment-23
CFE>

Don't let the IP address fool you..no arping response from Linux or ping response..that's just for ghost haunting the user.
I tried leaving a ping running with the AP off and after powering on to no avail..no response.

4) nvram show via console works.
nvram erase seems to freeze the device
I left it running for 10 min.
After 5 min the power led went off and finally after another 5 min my patience told me to reboot it.

Do I have any chances left..or what is happening with the device ?
Can you lend a helping hand ?

Thanks,
Mihai
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
skyraven wrote:
Hi there,

I also have a spooky situation if someone can help Smile and don't flame me

Read note 6 of the peacock thread sticky...link in my sig....and start a NEW thread if you still have an issue.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
skyraven
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok.
Gonna start a new thread then.
Thanks.
I am able to get no pings from the router by the methods in the sticky thread...I already tried that before doing the serial console stuff.
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
skyraven wrote:
Ok.
Gonna start a new thread then.
Thanks.
I am able to get no pings from the router by the methods in the sticky thread...I already tried that before doing the serial console stuff.

Try my last post:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48003&start=165

I wrote a writeup but sadly it didnt get posted because the forum complained that I spent too much time writing it.
lkxnon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
y_farkash wrote:
Hi, I'm back.

Cheers,

Y.Farkash

I have same problem with cron, I am running last eko 12188 mega and cron jobs added via Web Gui are not executing after router reboot. /tmp/cron.d/cron_jobs is created with my values but not executed. check_ps, which is second file there is working...maybe bug? When I restart cron, everyhing works then...strange
armkbdotcom
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, there is a device in local online shop, which has the following schematics and affordable.

Can I use this to connect to wl-500w serial port?

Thx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've successfully debricked my router using this thread.

THANK YOU Smile !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: