rebooting the only way to keep in time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kvi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:20    Post subject: rebooting the only way to keep in time? Reply with quote
I have 2x Asus WL500gP routers and 1x WNR3500L router. All of them are running dd-wrt. However, they don't stay in time and I have to constantly reboot them as I find that the only way to put them back in time.

WNR3500L had only 10 days of uptime, but still it't clock was already 10 minutes wrong. One of those Asus boxes had uptime of 86 days and it was 1h 10min wrong.

Is there a way to get them sync time for example once a week to keep their clock accurate? How can I automate the reboot, so I wouldn't have to manually reboot them every week?
Sponsor
Chill
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
what build are you using on your dd-wrt routers?

under settings:
select NTP Client
click Enable
select your correct Time Zone
configure Summer Time (DST)according to your country
Server IP/Name, I use pool.ntp.org

under administration, click keep alive tab
enable Schedule Reboot
click Enable
configure the time to reboot

RT-N16 Tomato Firmware 1.28.0905 MIPSR2-065V K26 USB AIO as gateway
Samba
Media/DLNA Server
SNMP/odmon
kvi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
WNR3500L

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/28/09) std-usb-ftp

NTP client is set, but it doesn't work (seems it only checks the time during the reboot).

I didn't notice there was so easy way to make a scheduled reboot, thanks for that. Although I think it's quite stupid you have to reboot every week to keep the clock in time Smile
Chill
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to update
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

RT-N16 Tomato Firmware 1.28.0905 MIPSR2-065V K26 USB AIO as gateway
Samba
Media/DLNA Server
SNMP/odmon
Tweener
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a mini-USB build. That fixed the time issue in the asus 520gu. You could also search for 520gu and cron job.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 21:31    Post subject: Re: rebooting the only way to keep in time? Reply with quote
kvi wrote:
I have 2x Asus WL500gP routers and 1x WNR3500L router. All of them are running dd-wrt. However, they don't stay in time and I have to constantly reboot them as I find that the only way to put them back in time.

WNR3500L had only 10 days of uptime, but still it't clock was already 10 minutes wrong. One of those Asus boxes had uptime of 86 days and it was 1h 10min wrong.

Is there a way to get them sync time for example once a week to keep their clock accurate? How can I automate the reboot, so I wouldn't have to manually reboot them every week?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60414

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have now scheduled a reboot every saturday morning. Im asleep when it boots, so it really doesn't matter a bit. I still have to figure out how to deal with those Asus wl-500gp routers, since I can't be sure when is the best time to boot them.

If getting the clock right requires killing & restarting services, I'll rather do that with a reboot. Atleast the router (functioning only as an AP) boots relatively fast (compared to my actual PC firewall). Wish in the future they would add a way to simply run ntpdate from crontab or something. And I mean running it without restarting services. Smile
w1zz4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 18:17    Post subject: Cron job that force time sync Reply with quote
Just add those two jobs in Administration->Management->Cron->Addtitional Cron Jobs
0,20,40 * * * * root killall process_monitor
0,20,40 * * * * root process_monitor

Make sure Cron is enable two then save and apply... this is not a complete reboot, only restart processes, included time sync...

ie : Found in another thread...
kvi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know that, but it's two lines in cron. Reboot is only one line in cron. And as far as I know, rebooting isn't harming the access point?

And what is the difference in rebooting the box and restarting services? None really as the access point reboots in less than a minute :)

edit: oh, and isn't it a bit too much to run killall every 20 minutes? Do you really think that is necessary?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: