WRT54G2: Wireless rate drops to 2 Mbps or 1 Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Yhoni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
I just ran into this problem on a GL I loaned to a small office till they get their router.

After checking and finding nothing wrong and no reason for the phenomenon cuz this router ran fine in another environment, I set ack timing to zero.

Been 48 hours and no problems seen by talking to the office or checking the router remotely.

The gl is running 14929 mini, tx is set to 84mw which is what stock linksys firmware on the router does.

Ok mate, do you not loss packets if you have ping over AP ?

can you test with a client bridge o with WDS connected to your GL?

Thanks for your tests and for your time.

PD: I only tested with 14929-std because i wont https.
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yhoni wrote:
barryware wrote:
I just ran into this problem on a GL I loaned to a small office till they get their router.

After checking and finding nothing wrong and no reason for the phenomenon cuz this router ran fine in another environment, I set ack timing to zero.

Been 48 hours and no problems seen by talking to the office or checking the router remotely.

The gl is running 14929 mini, tx is set to 84mw which is what stock linksys firmware on the router does.

Ok mate, do you not loss packets if you have ping over AP ?

can you test with a client bridge o with WDS connected to your GL?

Thanks for your tests and for your time.

PD: I only tested with 14929-std because i wont https.

Sorry.. I can't do that type of testing. I set this up in a large office environment and can not start changing configurations and testing. That would interrupt the people that are actually working.

As said, I was notified of the problem with the wireless clients having problems.. I remoted into the router, checked what I could, and the only change I made was the ack timing and that was just a "try & see". It seems to have worked. A few "wellness" phone calls and checking the router shows no problems. I made the change 2 days ago.

I don't know why the problem surfaced in the 1st place. This router has been in service in many environments and this has never happened.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, Barryware, thanks equal.
calculus1918
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
First time poster, read through the entire thread and found all the suggestions extremely helpful. I have the same exact problem with two wrt54g2v1 (surprisingly 1 of them has 8mb of ram and the other has 16 mb of ram both with the v3 chipset Sad)... I am getting the 2MB-5.5MB rate under my client bridge router, but when I connected a cable to the wireless client bridge and tested the speed, it gave me me normal speeds (10-15 MB with charter cable). Could it mean that the number is not relevant in this case and we don't have to worry about it? Thanks for your time and effort.
Yhoni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
calculus1918 wrote:
First time poster, read through the entire thread and found all the suggestions extremely helpful. I have the same exact problem with two wrt54g2v1 (surprisingly 1 of them has 8mb of ram and the other has 16 mb of ram both with the v3 chipset Sad)... I am getting the 2MB-5.5MB rate under my client bridge router, but when I connected a cable to the wireless client bridge and tested the speed, it gave me me normal speeds (10-15 MB with charter cable). Could it mean that the number is not relevant in this case and we don't have to worry about it? Thanks for your time and effort.

Hi mate, you should to test channels 6 or up until 14, i am using 14channel and is good for me..
calculus1918
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, can you tell me which firmware are you using? I currently have the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/0Cool micro, guessing that's too old for the wrt54g2v1... Please recommend a better one, should I go 14929? Thanks again.
Yhoni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
calculus1918 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, can you tell me which firmware are you using? I currently have the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/0Cool micro, guessing that's too old for the wrt54g2v1... Please recommend a better one, should I go 14929? Thanks again.

Hi, i am using 15693-std now and with 14 channel for wifi i do not have problem.
calculus1918
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Needing expert advice again.

I have the following:

wrt54g2v1 with the 14929 firmware
wrt54gs2v1 (probably upgrade to the 14929 firmware as well, even with the 8mb of flash)

I will be bridging the two routers together (one for AP and one as a client bridge)

Is there any preference for which one to be the Access Point and the Client Bridge. I just don't want the dreadful 2MB transmission headache in this thread. Please help when you get a chance, thanks so much Smile!!!
Yhoni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
calculus1918 wrote:

I have the following:

wrt54gs2v1 (probably upgrade to the 14929 firmware as well, even with the 8mb of flash)

I will be bridging the two routers together (one for AP and one as a client bridge)

Is there any preference for which one to be the Access Point and the Client Bridge. I just don't want the dreadful 2MB transmission headache in this thread. Please help when you get a chance, thanks so much Smile!!!

I think that is indiferent.
Yhoni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yhoni wrote:
calculus1918 wrote:

Hi, i am using 15693-std now and with 14 channel for wifi i do not have problem.

I have problems with my wrt54gl if use 1 to 13 channels, my rate down much and i lose a much icmp packets, i only can use 14 channel .

I do not know , is this a bug ?

PD: i tested 14929 and i have the same problem and i tested with mi comtrend router and i do not have the problem.
luis55
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
calculus1918 wrote:

I have the following:

I suggest you to use the g2 as the main router since it has 16MB of RAM. In case of problems with the client bdrige (gs2) set it to use a transmission fixed rate of 54Mbps in Wireless>Advanced.
You should have no problem as long as you're not expecting to use them for heavy network loads.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
After about two months, I must say having the transmit power at 100 mW helped the problem significantly. But it didn't eliminate it. I'm still using 13064. Now I will follow barryware's experience and set the ACK timing to 0. Perhaps those two settings must be changed to have reliable wireless.

(Well, I just noticed the OP tried this as well!)
danep
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried pretty much every suggestion here, and they each "solve" the problem for a minute or two, but performance quickly degrades to 1-2 Mbps. I think the mere act of changing the wireless settings fixes the problem for a very short while, and the root cause is yet to be determined... and I'm eagerly awaiting the fix!
calculus1918
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hate to say this, but have the same problem and I don't think there will be permanent fix since it's a hardware issue.
gopalmm2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 15:38    Post subject: Build 15943M Reply with quote
Flashed the micro-plus 15943M and it's working solid past 2 days! Been getting a transfer rate of 24-36 Mbps on an average. I'm getting as good a speed as a repeater bridge as my WRT160NL atheros N router.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: