WRT54G2: Wireless rate drops to 2 Mbps or 1 Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
TonyJZX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've come to the conclusion that the firmware isnt the issue

it's heat

it really does not work well in 30c+ temp (say 95f)

at night when its cold and below 20c its fine

i'm on it now at 54mbps...
Sponsor
barkeater
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my basement where my router sits under my desk is ~67-69 degrees F. Temperature may be a variable but imho not am important one unless you live in the desert.

I think one of the problems is how folks are reporting their speed. If you are measuring your speed via some online application, then you are not really measuring your router speed per se, but a combination of your service provider speed and your router speed. Plus, is that your maximum instantaneous or your average? How determined?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i'm on vnc and i know as the updates start crawling

i check the IF and it says 2mbps

i reboot and its ok

i have low expectations for a cheap $20 router though
emptythevoid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have two WRT54G2v1 routers. Both have DDWRT v24 sp2 14929 micro builds on them. I have an Ubuntu laptop literally right next to the router, and an android phone. The router is set up with WPA2 AES (I've tried WPA TKIP/AES, and WPA2 TKIP/AES)

I plug in one of the routers to the power. I can connect to it fine over wireless using my laptop. As soon as I do a speedtest.net, the router GUI reports wireless rate falls to 2mbps. Speedtest reports 1mbps down, 3+mbps up. This is on a T4 synchronous 4 down, 4 up connection.

If I plug in a wire and test over this, it's just fine - full 4down/4up.

If I test it using my phone, it tests fine *despite* the GUI reporting the low wireless transfer rate. It reads the full 4down/4up.

This is 100% reproducible on the other router.

This also happens on build 12548 NEWD Eko as well. Have not tried any other builds. I restored one of the routers back to stock firmware and updated it to the latest Linksys firmware. No issues. None.

I would chalk it up to old cruddy hardware except that the Linksys firmware works just fine. I would also attribute this to maybe some incompatibility with either Ubuntu OS, or the driver/wifi card in the laptop (more likely, since my android phone seems unaffected), but again, the current Linksys firmware doesn't exhibit this behavior. So even if any or all of the above were the case, the dd-wrt firmware is failing somehow, somewhere.

I've not tried any newer ddwrt firmware versions. Any suggestions?
TonyJZX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
go back to Linksys OEM and move on with your life

this will never be fixed
kdambrosio89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 22:50    Post subject: mixed mode Reply with quote
Switching from n,g mixed to mode g brought my down speed from 1mbps to full 20mbps (from wan) on an e2500. This maybe would apply to other routers as well? Firmware DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) mini - build 21061. All other advanced wireless settings at default.
7up
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:08    Post subject: Similar problem on another router Reply with quote
I'm currently having the same problem on a WRT150N router. It's killing my gaming =P. Here's what I found so far:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=858527

here's a link for a similar problem (I think the exact same problem with same issue), but it has a solution. The solution for that specific router is here: http://www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Comcast_download_speed_fix_for_Linksys_eSeries

Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is a solution..would anyone who knows their stuff be able to find a solution for WRT150N (and OP's) router?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: