WRT54G2: Wireless rate drops to 2 Mbps or 1 Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
amigasger wrote:
I got the WRT54G2v1 as well - I had only problems when using SP2 firmware. When I downgraded to v24 SP1 [Stable] Build 10020 - micro. Then the speed issues was gone - and transfer rate went straight to 54 mbps - no 2 mbps or shit like that.. Something must have been implemented wrong in the SP2 builds of dd-wrt firmware.

Or...SP1 misreports the true connection speed. Wink If you are going to downgrade use 11296. Watch for milworm though.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Sponsor
amigasger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

Or...SP1 misreports the true connection speed. Wink If you are going to downgrade use 11296. Watch for milworm though.

Well - SP1 aint misreporting the connection speed. I have been testing using my isp's speedtest-webpage. And speeds are indeed better than 2 mbps - in fact I get 16 mbps at the isp-test, which is almost my connection speed-limit (20 mbps).

But Yes - I will install the build you mention - I know about the milw0rm-hack, but had forgotten which firmware-version which was infected. :wink:

So thank you very much for your answer Murrkf
amigasger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okey I downgraded to EKO's 11296 micro-plus and now the transfer-rate dropped to 2 mbps again. I will try to flash router back and enable the firewall-rules instead (to prevent the milw0rm exploit).
amigasger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okey.. Im back on SP1 from July - and use the firewall-script, which prevents the milw0rm attack. Now my wireless works at full speed - and hopefully the milw0rm firewall-script (the script, that prevents the cgi to ;reboot) will do the work.
If anyone know if there should be any problems in this - then let me know. Thanks in regards.

//Amigasger
amigasger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im wondering if I should test with a VINT preSP2 micro build - and see if that would do it. I can see the VINT has something related to the cpu - and dont know if I can brick my router flashing it with it.

nvram gives me:
Code:
$nvram get wl0_corerev

Some of you guys been trying a VINT on the router ?

Does anyone know which driver the STABLE SP1 was build with - NEWD or VINT ?

//Amigasger
amigasger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying a VINT release sure wasnt a great idea - now I bricked my router... I better order a jtag-cable from ebay :roll:

Best solution for this router must be the STABLE SP1 + the iptable-script (preventing the milw0rm-exploit)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with note 6 of the peacock announcement.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my setup I notice periodic slowdown of the wireless connection too, I have not figured out when this starts.
Setup is a WRT54GL 1.1 with Std Generic build 13064.
Wireless setup as G-Only with WPA2 AES.
Tree out of four Windows XP SP3 Clients have a Linksys WMP54G PCI adapter.
On at least two of these Clients I have seen the following:
-Symptom: slow Internet for all clients (download 1 Mbps instead of 8 Mbps)
-Windows Wireless connection still shows 54 Mbps
-DD-WRT status indicates Wireless Rate = 5.5 Mbps
-Repair, or manual disconnect/connect the wireless link from the involved Client solves the issue an keeps the router rate at 54.

The 5.5 Wireless Rate of the router is still dynamic: if the client that seems to cause the problem is idle, other clients may still bring the rate back to 54 for the router; as soon as the "problem" client access the Internet, the rate drops down to 5.5 again.

Slow download symptom and fix was the same with older DD-WRT builds, although that time I never checked the router Wireless Rate (assume that was also dropping to a low value).

I have changed the DD-WRT settings according the hints of Redhawk:
Wireless-Advanced:
Tx power from default 70 to 28.
CTS protection, FrameBurst, and Afterburner: was allready disabled.
Preamble to Auto instead of Long.
Administration:
Max Ports = 4096 (allready default), TCP/UDP timeouts = 120 each (UDP allready default).

Lets see what this brings.
Any other suggestions or things to look into to figure out what sometimes goes wrong?
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amigasger: Have you checked for sources of interference on the 2.4GHz band? Also, where are you seeing your data rate? Note that if you're looking at the router page, you'll only see something close to full throughput if you have minimal traffic going across the WLAN. The data rate represented is UNUSED bandwidth, to my understanding, so if you're putting heavy traffic on the WLAN, particularly with multiple clients, the actual throughput (if just one client) should remain fairly consistent but the data rate indicators on the router and possibly client will represent a lower rate.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just checked my WRT54G2, it's been up 64 days now, wireless rate is still at 54Mbps, however i haven't connected to it wirelessly in that time, the rate only seems to drop if i do (the rest of the time it's connected to only by ethernet).

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
rodgui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
creaky wrote:
Just checked my WRT54G2, it's been up 64 days now, wireless rate is still at 54Mbps, however i haven't connected to it wirelessly in that time, the rate only seems to drop if i do (the rest of the time it's connected to only by ethernet).

Hi Creaky.

What setting are you using?

Where can I download the firmware SP1 for WRT54G2V1?
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, which setting(s) do you mean ?
For firmware have a read of this one ~ http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

..though i haven't read that in a while, all my routers are happy running on EKO 12548 and i got my WRT54G2 v1 firmware here ~ ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/WRT54G2V1%20Flashing (though now there's a different version there). Most or all versions are there somehere if you browse around.

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
rodgui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
creaky wrote:
Hi, which setting(s) do you mean ?
For firmware have a read of this one ~ http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

..though i haven't read that in a while, all my routers are happy running on EKO 12548 and i got my WRT54G2 v1 firmware here ~ ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/WRT54G2V1%20Flashing (though now there's a different version there). Most or all versions are there somehere if you browse around.

First, sorry by my English.
I mean, the wireless settings .. Preamble, Frame Burst Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing), CTS Protection Mode, TX Power ...

Because when I turn my uTorrent my Rate drops to 1mbps or 2mpbs.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh i see. Here's the one screen's settings ~ http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/creaky/dd-wrtwifiadvsettings.jpg
and i personally have all my routers on zero Ack Timing.
As to UTorrent my torrent machine is connected by ethernet, i did used to have a torrent machine on wireless but i can't remember the settings for that, however the torrent machine used wireless via a USB wireless adapter, the router was in the same room and that was connected wirelessly (via WDS) to the downstairs router (details are in my signature). Download and upload speeds were fine/consistent (the broadband connection was only half a meg or 1meg back then though)

Last edited by creaky on Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:58; edited 1 time in total
rodgui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
creaky wrote:
Oh i see. Here's the one screen's settings ~ http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/creaky/dd-wrtwifiadvsettings.jpg
and i personally have all my routers on zero Ack Timing.

Thks.

I turn off CTS and my ack is default, e.g, 2000.

What is this CTS?

Do you use what Wireless Security?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: