WRT54G2: Wireless rate drops to 2 Mbps or 1 Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot to mention my channel usage before, my main 3 routers are split across channels 1, 6 and 11. I haven't checked any neighbours' channels recently but my point is that the WRT54G2 is on channel 1 and my nearest router to it is on channel 6 so there should be no interference between the 2.

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
Sponsor
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
My router is fixed at channel 3. Most neigbor signals are at 6 and 11, sometimes there is one weak signal at 1, thats why I selected 3.
The issue seems to be narrowed down to the combination of non-stock firmware (DD-WRT) and the WMP54G.
If the wireless rate drops, the fix is defenitely to disconnect/connect or repair the involved WMP54G.
jdattilo4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
My router is on channel 1, with a site survey showing only two additional routers within range, both on channel 6. Shouldn't see interference there. I'm pretty close to blaming the wmp54g, although I haven't tested another adapter yet, hoping to on Monday. If it's not specifically this adapter, it may be the XP drivers. Like wouter, I'm also running 1.0.3.0, latest offering. Anyone out there running this adapter on a different OS (hence, different driver set)? If so, are you seeing the same sudden drop in tx rate?
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
jdattilo4 wrote:
Anyone out there running this adapter on a different OS (hence, different driver set)? If so, are you seeing the same sudden drop in tx rate?
I use ndiswrapper on any linux boxes thus the Window drivers get used. Unfortunately the only PC i had spare to test with (as i no longer use my WMP4G's due to using ethernet & PCMCIA wifi adpters on all machines these days) is busted so i can't test until Tuesday i can go fetch a spare machine

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I keep forgetting that one of my other linux boxes has a spare PCI slot as it's tucked under one of the desks.
Put a WMP54G card in, (RT2500 chipset) and whilst it keeps connecting thru the main router (as the main router is nearest) instead of the WRT54G2, the main router's wireless rate isn't dropping. Main router is happy at 54Mbps and the signal quality varies between 80% and 83%. I'll try and force the PC to connect to the WRT54G2 next, but suffice it to say that back when i used half a dozen or so WMP54G's across all my PC's i didn't have problems with throughput/wireless rate (i was using v23 sp2 of DD-WRT over WDS on 2 Buffalo WHR-G54S's btw).

wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to download what seems the latest WMP54G / RT61 Windows XP driver from the Ralink website (RT256x/RT266x), it gave me a set of rt61 files like on the original Linksys distribution CD.
DriverVer = 06/12/2009, 1.02.08.0000 (1.2.8.0).
Computer management refuse to see this as an updated driver (right-click the WMP54G adapter > Update driver).
The Ralink rt61.inf file does not show Linksys nor WMP54G, so I tried with the original Linksys rt61.inf, still no go.

Maybe "autobot" can give a clue how to modify the inf file:
autobot wrote:
I have a RT2500 (Ralink) based wmp54 and it does indeed cause this type of behavior on my routers.

I found that Gigabytes drivers are the most stable but you have to edit the inf file and manually install them...this is on XP Professional.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've used Ralink's own drivers before, there's no 'editing' needed, you just need to persuade XP to actually use the drivers, ie go to the tab where you can update the driver, choose 'Have disk' and choose the option where you can manually select your own driver, then point it towards the relevant drivers.
Ralink drivers for me had made zero difference to anything before, so i stick to the Linksys ones, plus they're the same ones i use on my linux boxes.

Plus as i posted in my previous reply, the router i'm currently attached to via the WMP54G is perfectly happy, no wireless rate drops..

wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah yes, I have installed the RT61 driver as Ralink - 802.11g PCI Wireless Adapter for one PC with a WMP54G. It shows version 1.2.8.0 dated 6/12/2009 and has more advanced options (left all default), defenitely a newer driver version then what Linksys offers.
Windows is happy with it and I am curious if it solved the recurring "This adapter is connected..." system tray balloon issue.
After a few days I will install the latest DD-WRT again in my WRT54GL to see if the wireless rate stays up.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use Gigabytes driver because they allow you to create an access point or be a normal client, and you have to edit the inf to add the WMP54 PCI_blabla hardware identifier or windows will not accept the driver.

You can't simply install the driver, not even manually without the proper hardware identifier being in the inf.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
jdattilo4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, so far we have the wmp running like a champ on a Linux machine, and running smoothly on an XP machine with the latest/greatest Ralink drivers.

I'm downloading those drivers now, and hope to test again after upgrading in a few hours. Here's hoping it's just a driver issue. It's already looking good for the 'balloon' issue affecting wouter.
jdattilo4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, preliminary results are very promising. Been transferring for the last 45 mins, and haven't seen my tx rate drop below 48mbps, with quick recovery to full speed at that. Surprised Before the upgrade, 5 mins was all it took to know for sure. The performance quality is crazy improved. I may not need that 54gs nic for testing after all. I'll let this chug away throughout the night (moving a ton of data). I'll update tomorrow if things go south, but I'm close to calling this matter resolved. Thanks to all! Very Happy Cool
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
All PC's with a WMP54G adapter do now have the Ralink RT61 driver (Ralink - 802.11g PCI Wireless Adapter) version 1.2.8.0.
That defenitely solved the recurring "This adapter is connected..." system tray balloon issue (only seen with stock WRT54GL firmware).
The WRT54GL v1.1 is back to DD-WRT V24-sp2 mini - build 13525.
Lets see what it does with respect to the wireless rate (as shown in the router status page) and getting a DHCP IP address.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
wouter wrote:
All PC's with a WMP54G adapter do now have the Ralink RT61 driver (Ralink - 802.11g PCI Wireless Adapter) version 1.2.8.0.
That defenitely solved the recurring "This adapter is connected..." system tray balloon issue (only seen with stock WRT54GL firmware).
The WRT54GL v1.1 is back to DD-WRT V24-sp2 mini - build 13525.
Lets see what it does with respect to the wireless rate (as shown in the router status page) and getting a DHCP IP address.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
5 days and 15 hours later: all WMP54G running the latest Ralink driver, the WRT54GL running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/28/09) mini - build 13525. The router is up since the upgrade, stayed onlne (PPPoE) since then. No wireless rate drops, no DHCP issues.
Looks like the Linksys WMP54G driver is for sure old and outdated and plays a significant role in bad behaviour of the router with non stock firmware.
I guess Linksys believes they do a good job, as the combination of all those aged stock firmware versions seems to work quite well (within the firmware limitations).
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was too enthousiast Sad
Right now, after running a week (7 days and 16 minutes actually) I noticed a wireless rate of 5.5 Mbps in the router. "Repair" the WMP54G adapter of one Client PC did solve the problem.
The Client adapter itself kept telling the wireless rate was 54 Mbps, the actual WAN speed was really slow.
The PC's are shutdown at the end of every day.
In the past I figured out that allways one WMP54G adapter in different PC's needed a "repair" to fix the issue, showing me it is not related to one specific PC or adapter.
Is the WMP54G simply a bad adapter, no matter what driver? Or is it the combination of WMP54G with DD-WRT, or DD-WRT and WRT54GL??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: