New to DD-WRT....Attempting Linksys E2500v3 Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:33    Post subject: New to DD-WRT....Attempting Linksys E2500v3 Setup Reply with quote
Greetings DD-WRT community! I'm a new user here. I've been following various instructions for setting up my newly-purchased Linksys E2500v3 Wireless Router to run as secondary router and act as a repeater.

I read the hardware page, peacock page, and followed instructions to flash the firmware on this new Linksys router. I was careful to follow the 30-30-30 reset rule. I gave the unit the proper time to ensure the firmware upgrade was complete.

I followed instructions on the following page for setting up dd-wrt in repeater mode.
http://www.kczon.com/tutorial-dd-wrt-router-wireless-repeater-bridge-mode/

I accessed the primary router on the network that I'm attempting to "repeat" on my iPhone so I could transfer settings from the primary to the secondary router correctly.

By all appearances, I set this secondary router repeater running dd-wrt correctly.

Here's my issue....

I grabbed my iPhone 4S, enabled WIFI, and walked away from the secondary router, and when I reached the other side of the house, WIFI signal disappeared. In fact, the WIFI signal disappeared around the corner 5 ft. from the secondary repeater router. This leads me to believe that my iPhone 4S was getting the weak signal from the primary router still.

Unless I'm not using the system correctly, or I thought it would work better than this, what did I do wrong? Any ideas?
Sponsor
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used the following bin file to flash the e2500 v3.

dd-wrt.v24-23569_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2500V3.bin
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it helps, but I'm typing these forum responses from the computer that I used to flash the E2500 v3. It is connected to the primary router, I believe, because it was connecting fine before.

In order for me to access the secondary router that I already flashed (E2500 v3) at 192.168.1.2, I need to disable wifi on this computer, and have the E2500 connected to the computer through ethernet cable. If I have wireless enabled on this computer, and the cable plugged/unplugged, I can't access the secondary router E2500.

Strange.
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I have my wired ethernet connection to the secondary router working now. I didn't have the Virtual Interface settings matched to the Physical Interface settings under the "Wireless --> Basic Settings" Tab.

Now my question is....

When I want to join the "repeated" or "extended" network, will I be entering the same network name and WPA password as we were using on the primary original router?

-or-

Will I need to enter a new network name and password to join this network?

I'm just not sure if this extended network is virtually the same network (in terms of joining, etc.) as the original wireless network that the primary router has been supplying.

Hummmph! Very Happy Shocked
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I "think" it's working. Even so, I can't stay connected to the primary network for more than 5 ft. beyond the secondary router. I just think that maybe my iPhone 4S that I'm using to test this experiment is strictly connected to the primary router and maybe not connecting to the secondary router? Here's something to stare at that might help???

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.34.12 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.64 KB
 Viewed:  11572 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.34.12 PM.png

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe this will help figure out why I can't get my iPhone 4S to stay connected wirelessly at any greater range than before I had the secondary router setup as a repeater???

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.36.53 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.5 KB
 Viewed:  11567 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.36.53 PM.png

gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Ah how nice of you to respond, thank you =). Yes have that page open in a tab, and have been using it to go over my settings over-and-over again. The only setting I don't have exactly per instructions is as follows:

"Security Mode : Must Match Primary Router and DD-wrt only works reliably with WEP or WPA2-AES"

This network was setup by my wife & I's parents who have it setup with WPA Security using a password. I don't want to change their security method without talking to them first. Do you really think that WPA Security that is currently being used could cause a problem???

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.44.48 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.24 KB
 Viewed:  11564 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 9.44.48 PM.png

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
gonathan85 wrote:

This network was setup by my wife & I's parents who have it setup with WPA Security using a password. I don't want to change their security method without talking to them first. Do you really think that WPA Security that is currently being used could cause a problem???

Yes.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
gonathan85 wrote:

Yes.

Interesting. Ok I'll try switching to WPA2 Personal security and see if that makes a difference. Thank you Smile
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
gonathan85 wrote:

Yes.

Ok tried switching to WPA2 Personal & everything functioned correctly. I tried switching to WPA2 Personal, then changing from TKIP to AES on both Physical and Virtual. I clicked "SAVE" at this point, then the dd-wrt router booted me out and I can't access again haha!
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went through the process again after doing a hard reset of the router. This time, when I changed security to AES, there were no errors. I completed the settings entries into the dd-wrt secondary router, and "applied settings." At this point, I removed the power cord and replaced the power cord to "reboot" the router like instructed.

I removed the LAN cable from the secondary router to this computer, and now I can't log into the router at 192.168.1.2. The only way I can log in to the secondary router is if I disable WIFI on this computer, and plug the LAN cable into the router.

Ugh this is making my brain hurt.

Does ANYONE have a clue what to do here?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you set the wireless back to auto ip and auto DNS? Are you getting an ip assigned to your computer when you connect wirelessly? Have you tried a manual wireless IP address? Try removing all encryption to test, as recommended in the link I provided you.
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Did you set the wireless back to auto ip and auto DNS? Are you getting an ip assigned to your computer when you connect wirelessly? Have you tried a manual wireless IP address? Try removing all encryption to test, as recommended in the link I provided you.

I never changed wireless settings off of auto ip and auto dns (not quite sure how to do this anyway?

When I enable WIFI on this computer that I'm typing from, yes, it is being assigned an ip address, but it appears like it is connecting to the primary router at 192.168.1.1 not the secondary dd-wrt router at 192.168.1.2.

I'll try removing security on both the AP and the secondary router right now - didn't see the suggestion of removing all security encryption.
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

I tried removing all security on both AP and secondary router running dd-wrt.

With the ethernet LAN cable unplugged, I still can't access the secondary router at 192.168.1.2. To access the secondary router, I need to have the ethernet LAN cable plugged from the secondary router into this computer, and have WIFI turned OFF on this computer. Then, I can get 192.168.1.2 to open secondary router settings.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: