Any plans for DD-WRT on La Fonera? Source code is out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 36, 37, 38  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
the atheros dual ssid is much better. but have you take a look at the magicbox? its small, cheap and you can mount any atheros minipci card to it, from 900 mhz ubiqiti cards to wistron cm9 a/b/g cards and naturally SR5 cards with 500 mw output power too. no restrictions. just plug together the box you want.

dd-wrt does already support this units with multiple ssid support and all the nice things you already know from this firmware

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
BS, What is MagicBox? I'm searching in google but it show all things but no thing related with routers :S
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
lqbweb wrote:
BS, What is MagicBox? I'm searching in google but it show all things but no thing related with routers :S

http://www.magicbox.pl/en/index.php
lqbweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, Thanks, but the online shop doesn't works....

http://www.chipdrive.pl/

How much is his price?
alienware
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
BS - are you saying that you will crack open the Fonera and get DD-WRT on it easily?
obiwan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that its not very dificult to put the dd-wrt in la fonera.
I have connected the serial cable to la fonera, and it runs openwrt, so, if you need, just flush the iptables from la fonera and put the webserver root to / and you can copy the files you need from it.
One greate thing that la fonera has is its flash, 8Mb, i now it's slow, but you dont turn on and off the ap from 5 to 5 min, so we wait a little bit more for it to start, no prob.
And i compared the wireless range and bandwith of La Fonera vs Linksys WRT5GL with dd-wrt and power to 200, and it's much better with la fonera, (because it's radio).
La fonera hardware is equal to Philips SNR6500 and Siemens Wlan Repeater 108 and Smc WEBT-G, with the diference that these units only have a flash of 2Mb, but we can buy a flash of 4Mb for 7€ and solder it in the unit.
La fonera uses for compilation the AP51 model, and redboot.
Best regards,
alienware
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
obiwan - thank you for the great advice. Nice to hear the radio is excellent. I'll give it a try over the weekend...
lqbweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
obiwan, and how did you make the serial cable? What pin of la fonera is each one? Can you do one tutorial to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks
ultrasoul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
lqbweb wrote:
obiwan, and how did you make the serial cable? What pin of la fonera is each one? Can you do one tutorial to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks

I second that request. A site with the instructions and pictures would also bring in a little income eh (if you have adsense) Laughing
Freddy36
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have a fonera but you probably can't connect you PC directly to the serial port of the fonera, you need a TTL/PC level converter, e.g. using a MAXIM IC
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX3222-MAX3241.pdf
Magnum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got my fonera. For starters:

a) Doesn't support choosing DHCP range, so I can't put it in my existing subet without turnin dhcp off, or it will conflict with my existing router.
b) doesn't support PPTP. Literally, it won't pass Windows' VPN client, and since I'm mostly connected to my university's internet which uses a VPN login system, it's pretty useless.

d) can't use it as an AP without routerfunctions which get DHCP from the first router. (*Should* at least be possible to use the private SSID for that, while the public SSID would function normally)

I'm not not very technical when it comes to networking so, please pardon my faults in advance Smile
Anyways I'd really like to see a basic DD-WRT working on the Fonera.. it's not going to be a substitute but a great companion to our existing DD-WRT routers. Please BS, I'll let you marry my sister Smile
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
first i would not ask if you would like to marry your sister. i'm a evil german you know. something works different here

second. i dont like to marry. i just wanna love. thats enough

third. can someone gimme a good reason for a dd-wrt on la fonera? (remember the la fonera name was invented by my old blueline company or better matthias engel and not fon). i mean not a reason like "we want it". you know you already get alot for free and beside all this free work i'm doing also money with porting dd-wrt to new hardware platforms. fon would be really happy to get a big bunch of new people cause of dd-wrt on la fonera. but i have no benefit out of it. only fon would have a benefit out of it and they already got 20 million$. i can port dd-wrt to fonera within 1 month. thats no problem (maybe some bugs left,okay). but why? do make fon happy? i want to be happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm surprised noone suggested this, but what if it's not a free firmware? I'm willing to pay some money to get dd-wrt in la fonera, and you can even sell the firmware with the required cable to flash it. After all, the fonera is a cheap small (very small) router and I believe many are also willing to pay for it.
goldserve
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
BS, why is it you make firmware for other routers? To make linksys or buffalo happy? No...I'm guessing you do it is to get dd-wrt out there and the broadcom platform is a good one. La fonera platform is a good one as well. If you make a firmware for it, there will be a rush of people to get the router. Sure...fon will get $5 for each router but after installing dd-wrt...it can have client mode and all the other wonderful features. I'm evil too...fon sharing could be the last thing on your task list. I don't see how it will do Fon very good.
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
paulo_andre wrote:
I'm surprised noone suggested this, but what if it's not a free firmware? I'm willing to pay some money to get dd-wrt in la fonera, and you can even sell the firmware with the required cable to flash it. After all, the fonera is a cheap small (very small) router and I believe many are also willing to pay for it.

Yes, many are willing to pay for it however the GPL forces the distribution of the source code so anybody can compiled and post it. In other words, payment is always optional from a technical point. However, i, like many others have donated in the past.

BS, i would definetly consider the Atheros platform as a very good and stable alternative. Don't see it as giving Fon a freebie, see it as opening the gate to all the Atheros based routers out there and the potential fall of donations from all those new users. Better yet, you are right in saying that Fon will have a LOT to gain from this and you can try and strike a deal with them now that they actually have quite a bit of capital on hand (thanks to Google who should have given you those millions instead.. )

But untill you get such a sponsorship, i will continue to make donations for every offical release of DD-WRT. And of course, my offer to donate the value of my Linksys RV016 once load balancing will be implemented as well. (Donated today 10$CAD * 2 new routers = approx 14 Euros for the offcial SP2 release)

Adi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 36, 37, 38  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 38
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: