Any plans for DD-WRT on La Fonera? Source code is out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
cde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got my Fonera today and didnt even wait a day to hack it. .7.0 r4 to ssh active to dd-wrt .24 0222 crash fix version. Works great except for one thing. Using it in Client Semi Repeater mode, it occassionally drops the connection if left idle for too long. Don't know if there is a setting for keepalive, but ping works. The problem though is that the busybox ping is well, too busy. Anyway I can permanently install iputils-ping to the router (I know that jssf is not turned on yet), or can it be considered for future versions?
Sponsor
cde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also of note, is that the Fonera/DD-WRT cannot ping/dns resolve its own hostname, nor does it send a dns-reply with its own ip when trying to resolve its hostname from a computer connect to it. Tried with ping and "host -a Hackera" (Hackera is the fonera's hostname, local is the domain name, neither work). Hostnames for the computers do give the correct dns-reply

Code:

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> hackera.local
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 14120
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hackera.local.                 IN      A

;; Query time: 30 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.10.10#53(192.168.10.10)
;; WHEN: Fri Feb 23 06:28:38 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 31
--------
; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> hackera
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 15819
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hackera.                       IN      A

;; Query time: 23 msec
;; WHEN: Fri Feb 23 06:28:59 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 25
---
 <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> order
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53961
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;order.                         IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
order.                  0       IN      A       192.168.10.75

;; Query time: 13 msec
;; WHEN: Fri Feb 23 06:29:23 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 39
---
; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> order.local
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 13597
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;order.local.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
order.local.            0       IN      A       192.168.10.75

;; Query time: 26 msec
;; WHEN: Fri Feb 23 06:29:38 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45

All I can see is that the fonera does not send a answer back for its own hostname. Maybe it's an issue with dnsmasq on dd-wrt?
mattlehrer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, my laptop is 192.168.1.166

It looks like the memory addresses are a little different that the unit on the Wiki.
wikking
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you enter this?
Code:
ip_address 192.168.1.254/24 -h 192.168.1.166

because the correct line is
Code:
ip_address -l 192.168.1.254/24 -h 192.168.1.166
mattlehrer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I entered it correctly in the session, I just fat fingered it when I posted it.
wikking
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
but it has to be a problem with your tftp or ip stuff....because of the timeout...with the wrong addresses it would still try to load something...
mattlehrer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know what else to try. Both the Fonero and my laptop are in the same IP range, I'm using an ethernet cable to connect them. They can ping each other just fine. And I've tried both Pumpkin TFTP and SolarWinds, both work fine if I use them from the command line on the laptop but the Fonero won't seem to attempt the connection.
mattlehrer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've even tried the HTTP method. It's not working either.

My Apache log is stating: (Error 400)

192.168.1.254 - - [24/Feb/2007:12:43:12 -0500] "GET root.fs HTTP/1.0" 400 328 "-" "-" "-"

And on the Fonera it says:

I/O Error: Bad HTTP request (check file name)

I can connect to my Apache server from any PC and enter http://SERVERIP/root.fs
and I get prompted to download the file.

What gives?!@!#
cookiemonster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm thinking I bricked it.
Pretty sure the SSH daemon was installed right on the router. I'm semi familiar with the unix environment, but i didn't really know how to edit the files correctly. I didn't know what editor that the router had. I ended up cat'ing it then editing it in notepad. I then pasted the edited lines into echo and appeneded it to a file and then used mv to overwrite. However I got to the
cd /tmp
wget http://fonera.info/camicia/openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma
mtd -e vmlinux.bin.l7 write openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma vmlinux.bin.l7
reboot

stage and i'm an idiot and I guess the router wasn't able to get the files from pumpkin. It said it tried but failed upon reboot. So now I'm not really sure what to do. I can no longer SSH in because the router no longer broadcasts a signal. I tried hooking it up to my computer using a crossover cable and tried to do the telnet 192.168.1.254 using port 9000 thing that didn't work. I don't know if the crossover cable is faulty or not but I can't check it or make a new one right now. I tried just using a normal ethernet cable and that didn't work either. Not really sure what to do now.

OH and the reset button doesn't even seem to work. I press it in and hold it and it never seems to reset.
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
cookiemonster wrote:
So I'm thinking I bricked it.
Pretty sure the SSH daemon was installed right on the router. I'm semi familiar with the unix environment, but i didn't really know how to edit the files correctly. I didn't know what editor that the router had. I ended up cat'ing it then editing it in notepad. I then pasted the edited lines into echo and appeneded it to a file and then used mv to overwrite. However I got to the
cd /tmp
wget http://fonera.info/camicia/openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma
mtd -e vmlinux.bin.l7 write openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma vmlinux.bin.l7
reboot

stage and i'm an idiot and I guess the router wasn't able to get the files from pumpkin. It said it tried but failed upon reboot. So now I'm not really sure what to do. I can no longer SSH in because the router no longer broadcasts a signal. I tried hooking it up to my computer using a crossover cable and tried to do the telnet 192.168.1.254 using port 9000 thing that didn't work. I don't know if the crossover cable is faulty or not but I can't check it or make a new one right now. I tried just using a normal ethernet cable and that didn't work either. Not really sure what to do now.

OH and the reset button doesn't even seem to work. I press it in and hold it and it never seems to reset.

Sounds like the song and dance with your cut and paste must have worked because you had SSH access. I have found though despite what the hack instructions imply you lose the SSH hack if you reset the unit (which you did) and you have to run through the drill again to re-establish SSH (even though you seem to get a different reaction from the HTML).
Seems to me that the stock firmware should still be in the flash if you never got the new stuff copied over. Do the lan or wifi lights come on when you cold boot with it plugged into your PC or an active lan? If not then I'd say it's at least partially bricked and you need to go to the de-brick wiki.
Myself, I avoided pumpkin etc. (after failing to get things arraigned properly) and just let it pull the stuff off of the net (which is what the command line in the wiki shows). Of course I had another active router to plug both the Fonera and my PC into!
Good luck to you!
JRH
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
body-snatch-her wrote:
Do the lan or wifi lights come on when you cold boot with it plugged into your PC or an active lan? If not then I'd say it's at least partially bricked and you need to go to the de-brick wiki.

I have the exact same problem, I got to the exact same place and again, no more 'MyPlace'. When I cold boot with it connected to a router, the ethernet (Internet) does light up and flash.

But surely it's still somewhat bricked if it can't be accessed in any way?
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
My understanding is that the firmware doesn't get flashed until later in the process so you are booting stock firmware with perhaps hosed settings. When you reset the unit it apparently dumps at least part of the SSH hack so you'll need to restart at the beginning. I'll admit that I'm no expert here and I've only run through the process once so I can't specifically recount every step I went through but it did work with the firmware from a couple rev's back. Unless there is something wrong with the latest rev I'd say it's something wrong on your end but it should be recoverable! It took me some fumbling around but I eventually got there! Don't give up... it's worth the effort!
Also, don't expect to see "MYPLACE" once you start flashing... your working at the command level until the flash is complete!
intrax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Resetting the unit will not undo the ssh hack, so the hack was probably malperformed in the first place... but he if you don't even know vi you have no business there either...
JRH
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I'm quite sure I didn't mess up the SSH hack with vi, thanks. I think you're frankly a little rude to say that people "have no business" doing things! (I wasn't sure on the vi initially, so I asked a friend.)

I'm still trying to sort mine out.
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeh, we're not all 'NIX wizards here and there's no call for putting down Widows users who are at least trying to use it!
I have to question the statement about the SSH hack being permanant! Am I wrong that the system is copied from flash to DRAM at boot time? If this is the case then don't the edits get tossed unless there is a command to force them into flash? The last command in the SSH hack I see is a cp within a single tmp directory! Can we put whatever we want in flash with a cp? Perhaps someone wiser can enlighten me! Maybe there's a secret command not in the hack instructions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 35 of 38
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: