fonera as an access point - my head hurts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
networkjoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 18:07    Post subject: fonera as an access point - my head hurts Reply with quote
Hi

I have been trying all day to add my fonera to my wired network. I want to be able to share files between the wired network and the wireless. The wired part is a router with 4 switchports. The cable modem is connect to the WAN port and a PC and the fonera are each in the switch.

I've followed this tutorial

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Done all the stuff it said, DHCP off, bridged mode etc. I have made some progress and can access the internet from both PC's. From both PC's I can also ping both routers but I just cannot get the two PC's to ping each other.

The IPs are Wired Router: 192.168.10.1
Wireless Router 192.168.10.10
PC1- 192.168.10.20
Gateway: 192.168.10.1
DNS: 192.168.10.1

PC2- 192.168.10.30
Gateway: 192.168.10.1
DNS: 192.168.10.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Sponsor
decx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll need to set the internet connection type to "disable" under basic setup and disable the Fon's DHCP server. This will disable the WAN port and NAT and turns that port into a LAN port on the same subnet. which will allow you to use the Fon as an plain AP with the clients connecting to it using the router's WAN connection and DHCP server.
networkjoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

Already done both, it still does not work, can anybody think of anything else I might have missed.
decx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the PC connecting via the Fon is getting an IP from the DHCP server right? If the Fonera connected PC can reach the router then it should be able to reach the PC directly connected to the router. If that is the case then your ping problem might be caused by a software firewall like Windows' built in firewall.
networkjoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply,

DHCP is only between the router and the cable modem, I've turned it off and set IPs manually.

My wireless card can reach the fon which then passes on to the router and out to the internet, but it won't come back out to the wired PC.

Tried disabling the firewalls but its not that.

I must have missed something
decx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can ping the router from the PC connected to the Fon? If you can the problem lies either with either a software firewall or TCP configurations.

Instead of setting IP and subnet mask manually, try letting the router's DHCP server handle it for both PC. If in that case both PCs gets IP successfully, then your issue probably lies in the way one of the PC handles incoming pings (firewall).
networkjoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, i've setup DHCP, If I go into the client list on the wired router I can see that both my PCs are receiving IP addresses. But still cannot communicate, I have put them on the same workgroup and they can't see each other. Its nothing to do with any firewalls.

Only thing I can think of is the switch part of the router is not switching properly
sccurtido2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
same happens to me... the switch part of the fonera does not work well... sometimes work... and sometimes not...
i can get access from pcs connected wireless to cable too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: