Advanced Wireless Settings Reference Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shortslot Override
Values are Long and Short and Auto, default value is Auto

The Help file says..v
nothing.

How it Works:
The setting "Shortslot Override" refers to Short Slot Times - The amount of time a device waits after a collision before retransmitting a packet. You can increase throughput on 802.11g, 2.4-GHz radios by enabling Shortslot override (most .11g radios enable this by default). Reducing the slot time from the standard 20 microseconds to the 9-microsecond short slot time decreases the overall backoff, which increases throughput. Backoff, which is a multiple of the slot time, is the random length of time a station waits before sending a packet on the LAN.

Many 802.11g radios support Shortslot override, but some do not. When Shortslot override is enabled, the wireless device uses the short slot time only when all clients associated to the 802.11g, 2.4-GHz radio support Shortslot override. Shortslot override is an 802.11g-only feature and does not apply to 802.11a radios.

SUMMARY: Slot times should transition from 20us to 9us when a "pure" .11g environment exists for that AP.

Comments? anyone want to add to this?

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Sponsor
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
it may be that bluetooth colocation only works with one bluetooth chipset...

http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/literature/9397/75015951.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is GREAT information. Please keep it coming!

Thanks a lot for the effort!
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtrosky wrote:
This is GREAT information. Please keep it coming!

Thanks a lot for the effort!

Thanks...

I have updated CTS Protection, RTS and Fragmentation as well..

I think it makes thinks a lot clearer to me anyways what each of these parameters is used for and when to use them.

stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updated with MIMO Transmission Fixed Rate, Wireless Network Mode, Channel Width

enjoy

stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing)
Default Value: 2000 meters ( a 1KM Wifi Link)

Help file says..
Adjusts the ack timing in Atheros typical way based on the maximum distance in meters .A value of 0 disables ack timing completely for broadcom firmwares. On Atheros based firmwares a value of 0 will turn into auto ack timing mode

How it works:
1.) AP sends a message: Everybody wait X time for a response
2.) Client receives
3.) Client sends a response to the AP called and ACK - Acknowledges the command waiting for X time.
4.) AP sees the ACK
5.) Other Clients and AP are free to send

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Ack timing adjustment is used for distance links when the time needed to tramit is greater then than the amount of time the sender waits before retrying to transmit the same packet again.

-You want to set the ack timing to 2x the distance between bridged routers measured in meters.

-If the ACK timing is too high it will not affect the throughput that much. If the ACK time is too low it can drop your throughput to the point of being unusable and can even make the system not connect.

-Recommended setting is to 0 for a household network. Which for linksys users means dd-wrt doesn't use ACK timing at all.

-Maximum theororetical ACK timeouts (not sure on thouroughness) 802.11a : 409us ~ 61km 802.11b : 744us ~ 111km 802.11g : 372us ~ 55km

Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am fairly certain ack timing doesn't do anything, although that might only be for broadcom. I have had my household settings at 2000, and my long distance link at 0, and never found any difference. What you have is what you should set it too, but it might not really matter. [/i]

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump Razz

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks barry,

Any ideas how I can get more people and more expertise to review this guide and contribute to it?

I am by more means an expert, I just am frustrated that I could never find all this information in one place, to guide me as I tweak my dd-wrt router.

So I wanted to start by doing the grunt work and getting this much done, now I think its time the expert community put a layer of polish on top :)

Lets get it done. Post it to google community or something? I have no idea...

Cheers

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread is now linked in note 16 of the peacock thread sticky. Wink
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Post it to google community or something? I have no idea...

wiki or sticky[/list]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm gonna update CTS with this info.....any thoughts \ edits anyone would like to make?

CTS Protection
The default value is set to Auto.

The help file says...
When set to Auto, a protection mechanism will ensure that your Wireless-B devices will connect to the Wireless-G router when many Wireless-G devices are present. However, performance of your Wireless-G devices may be decreased.

How it works:
CTS Protection mode is a is a protection mechanism that operates on the physical (PHY) level frame. In its default configuration dd-wrt uses it to provide a way of ensuring coexistence between the legacy and the new wifi devices. Adding to that by using CTS and modifying RTS threshold value you can tweak operation of the CTS protection mechanism this can then be combined with the Fragmentation Threshold tweak to help troubleshoot\fix connectivity and\or performance issues etc. Remember tweaking the CTS\RTS process and the Fragmentation Threshold value often comes at a price usually by decreasing the overall throughput to the WLAN.

At a very high level summary of the process when multiple devices are connected to an access point, they can occasionally be transmitting data to the access point at the same time because neither one can see the other client well enough to determine if it is transmitting on the channel or not. When this happens, the AP will discard both pieces of colliding data, thus contributing to error rates. CTS (clear to send) protection skirts this issue by delegating which device gets to transmit at a given time.

Once CTS \RTS Protection is configured correctly within your WLAN environment there are specific scenarios that occur and the software will activate the CTS\RTS protection mechanisms;

Here are a few examples of what triggers CTS to be employed by the dd-wrt router software.

CTS Protection trigger 1; - NON-default dd-wrt behaviour -This is the trigger that a user is impacting by changing the RTS threshold default to a lower value.
A client that wants to use the radio channel to send data packet(s) of a size that is equal or above the defined RTS threshold value.

CTS Protection trigger 2; -default dd-wrt behaviour
A 802.11g client attempts to connect to a SSID that is using channel bonding. Transmissions using a 40 MHz channel in the presence of 802.11a or 802.11g clients require using CTS protection mode. This will apply the CTS protection mechanism on both 20 MHz halves of the 40 MHz channel, to prevent interference with legacy devices and allow proper operation of the 802.11a and 802.11g clients.

CTS Protection trigger 3; -default dd-wrt behaviour
If you are running in mixed wireless mode on a 802.11n router and you have 802.11b clients in your environment. CTS Protection is used to allow the 802.11b client to operate correctly and also not to interfere with the operation of the 802.11a,g, and N client transmissions.
Also;
- An 11b device associates to the AP. - same as trigger 3
- An 11b AP on the same channel can be heard by the AP - variant on trigger 3
- The AP hears an 11g AP that is in protection because of an 11b device associated. -another variantion of the trigger 3 event.

**NOTE: Trigger 1 will never happen on the dd-wrt default configuration due to the the value of the RTS Threshold value being 2347 and the the Fragmentation Threshold value being 2346. Based on the data packet fragmentation threshold default value at 2346 in size dd-wrt will apply fragmentation to all packets. Becasue of this fragmentaion process the 2347 packet size needed to trigger the RTS threshold is never reached.

For a closer look at what happens in one of these cases lets look at a case like trigger number 1 list above and the steps in the CTS\RTS protection process.

example. A client that wants to use the radio channel to send data packet(s) of a size that is equal or above the defined RTS threshold value.

Steps in the CTS\RTS Protection process

1.) The client wishing to send date over the channel first sends an RTS (request to send) packet to the AP.

2.) In turn the AP responds with a CTS broadcast packet to the WLAN and declares to all the clienbts on the entire WLAN that the specific client who sent the RTS packet as the "owner" of the channel and then the AP listens only to that client until it is done transmitting.

3.)The process is repeated for all request to transfer data,which for whatever reason triggers the CTS\RTS protection mechanisms, on a first come first serve basis.

Implementing CTS\RTS Protection on top of the defaul dd-wrt configuration;

1.) The AP running dd-wrt has the CTS Protection mode is set to Auto by default and then you could adjust the RTS threshold value to something lower then 2346(Which is the default fragmentation threshold value on dd-wrt) on the AP.

2.) All clients connected to the dd-wrt AP are configured for CTS\RTS mode as apposed to disabled or CTS-Self mode.

***NOTE Typically the The RTS Threshold value on dd-wrt is lowered to address or troublehsoot some sort of connectivity or preformance issue with a client or all clients on a WLAN. Adjusting the value is a balenacing act between getting your problem fixed and lossing overall WLAN speed. The more times CTS procetion mode is triggered in a period of time "its frequency" the more impact it will have; good or bad. So start with 2340, then 2320, 2300 etc...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-If your trying to tweak out every drop of preformance in an ideal setup then you can disable this on the AP and clients. Test again to see if it helps for better results, it should.

-If you want to try 40MHz with your 802.11n clients you might want to start with CTS Protection set to Auto. You do this incase you have 802.11a or g or even some N clients that do not support 40GHz transmissions or "channel bonding" as it is sometimes called.

-If you have a 802.11n based router running in mixed wireless mode that you want to connect 802.11b clients you need to have CTS protection mode set to Auto meaning enabled.

-If CTS Protection makes things faster a network redesign might be needed.

-"CTS to self" based protection - an alternate implementation method of CTS; where by the device willing to send frames over the WLAN first sends a CTS frame to itself. "CTS to self" based protection has less overhead, but it must be taken into account that this only protects against devices receiving CTS frame (e.g. if there are 2 "hidden" stations, there is no use for them to use "CTS to self" protection, because they will not be able to receive CTS sent by other station - in this case stations must use RTS/CTS so that other station knows not to transmit by seeing CTS transmitted by AP).If you have set the CTS protection mode to disabled on the dd-wrt AP, then this is a good choice for the client configuration.

Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this is WAY too technical. You need a guide to be simple and easy to read. Provide links to the technical detail; explain what it means in words that almost all can understand. Focus on what a person should "do".

But this is a worthwhile project, and good for you for taking it on.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
vtphilk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
My vote is for add to the wiki.

And I disagree too technical. If you are not interested in the 'too technical' stuff you probably should not be mucking with advanced wireless settings Smile
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
vtphilk wrote:

And I disagree too technical. If you are not interested in the 'too technical' stuff you probably should not be mucking with advanced wireless settings Smile

Is this thread supposed to be elitist? I guess the decision has to be made as to who it is being written for. That will determion tne the technical level.

The suggestion was to provide links to the technical info, not to omit it entirely.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: