Advice needed for closed network for filming movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
megafrenzy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 19:42    Post subject: Advice needed for closed network for filming movie Reply with quote
I need to determine how best to setup a closed network (no internet/WAN). I have a 3 cameras with ethernet that I need to link to a central CNU. The cameras have fixed static IPs, no DHCP is needed/wanted. Bandwidth is very low. I'm trying to eliminate ethernet cables as we will be shooting a movie on location in NYC. Filming on the streets, in buildings, parks makes it difficult to run ethernet cables, so I'm trying to eliminate these cables. Wireless video is alreay in place from camera to video village.

The other factor, not all cameras will be in use at the same time, so the network needs to handle that. I assigned one "host" to be with the video engineer, that will always be there. If there are stunts going on, one camera might break away for a 2nd unit shoot across town, in which case its going to be cabled.

I picked up 4 Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers, put DD-WRT standard generic V24. I've tried WDS, but couldn't get them to link up. Not sure if WDS works without a WAN.

I'm thinking ad-hoc would be the best, but I cannot find much info out there regarding a multi router ad-hoc setup.

OLSR looks interesting, should I try that?

I do need some mild encryption, don't want anyone messing with the network. And it needs to be simple and robust, I will not be able to travel to location every time there is an issue.

Before I spend another day trying to get this working, I thought I'd ask for some advice.

I've been googling the hell out of this (yes, google is my friend) and I've read all wiki articles pertaining to mesh/WDS/bridges.

Thanks.

On Set Network.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.75 KB
 Viewed:  4097 Time(s)

On Set Network.png

Sponsor
megafrenzy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 23:48    Post subject: Ad-Hoc update Reply with quote
4 Identical routers.
Factory Reset
WAN: Disabled
STP: Enabled
DHCP: Disabled
Wireless mode: adhoc
Wireless Mode: B-only
Wireless channel: 6
SSID Broadcast: Disable
Wireless Security Mode: Disable
SPI Firewall Disable

Ping times to other routers are 300 - 1600 ms. Routers are 20-40 ft apart. The application I am running can't work properly with this kind of latency.

Any ideas?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I understand it correctly you're trying to feed video from the cameras to a laptop for storage? There might not be enough bandwidth depending on the video encoding.

If they're only 40 feet apart then why aren't you using G mode? Set the laptop router to AP mode and all the camera routers in client bridge mode.

megafrenzy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to do camera control, not video - that would be about 1.5Gb/s for each camera. That is recorded locally at the camera (compressed to about 880 mb/s).

The Sony Camera Command Network Protocol is fairly slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: