WZR-HP-G300NH support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
internalaudit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
My router is current on version 18024 of the firmware.

So I had nothing to do and tried attaching one flash drive (EXT3) and another external hdd (NTFS) to my USB (ac powered) hub attached to my router's USB port.

Both of the drives worked. So I was able to access three drives in total.

Because the router's USB port is only 2.0. Can I actually attach as many as my USB hub will allow or will this fry my router (though my USB hub is ac powered)?

If streaming to two HDTV', will the 2.0 be enough for bluray mkv file playback? Should I read off one single drive or have them read off separate hdd's?

Thanks.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
internalaudit wrote:

So I had nothing to do and tried attaching one flash drive (EXT3) and another external hdd (NTFS) to my USB (ac powered) hub attached to my router's USB port.

Because the router's USB port is only 2.0. Can I actually attach as many as my USB hub will allow or will this fry my router (though my USB hub is ac powered)?

If streaming to two HDTV', will the 2.0 be enough for bluray mkv file playback? Should I read off one single drive or have them read off separate hdd's?

Thanks.

USB is hub technology, so its a shared medium, meaning yes you can hook up many (self-powered) USB devices, but the USB bandwidth is going to be shared/divided amongst the many devices you hook up to it, also in terms of the streaming bluray mkv, being that mkv is most times compressed, it shouldn't be a problem, but i'm going to go ahead and clear something up for you, just because it has USB 2.0 doesn't mean its going to run at full USB 2.0 specs, with routers and usb ports, alot of what limits your speed is the hardware's CPU, in this case it being only 400Mhz CPU, i wouldn't expect to much.. So you could try it, but don't be over disappointed if it doesn't work as fast as you thought it would.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
internalaudit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Buddee. So far the MKV files streaming to one HDTV is fine. I was just wanting to test its limit, LOL.

Down the road, I may have to get a NAS or a mini pc (E50 or above CPU) but for now, I'll take this temporary solution over having to fork more $$$.

Kind regards.

buddee wrote:
internalaudit wrote:

Thanks.

USB is hub technology, so its a shared medium, meaning yes you can hook up many (self-powered) USB devices, but the USB bandwidth is going to be shared/divided amongst the many devices you hook up to it, also in terms of the streaming bluray mkv, being that mkv is most times compressed, it shouldn't be a problem, but i'm going to go ahead and clear something up for you, just because it has USB 2.0 doesn't mean its going to run at full USB 2.0 specs, with routers and usb ports, alot of what limits your speed is the hardware's CPU, in this case it being only 400Mhz CPU, i wouldn't expect to much.. So you could try it, but don't be over disappointed if it doesn't work as fast as you thought it would.
ratsea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 18:11    Post subject: Buffalo Support Reply with quote
I posted this before but maybe not in the right place?

Just installed 18024 on a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. Very Happy with it. Running for 7 days and no drops.

Can anyone confirm whether scripts in the Services>USB 'Run-on-mount Script Name' option works or not. It used to work OK with older version 15962. The mount point has changed to /mnt/sda_part1/, but I can't get it working. I have tried both in /mnt/ and also /jffs/ but neither seem to get executed. I want to start a miniDLNA server but the script doesn't execute.

Under DiscInfo,it says 'not mounted' which maybe just 'cosmetic', but it could also be causing a script in the Run-on-mount box not to start as it may think nothing is mounted.

There is a workaround by using the script directly in the Command Shell>Startup Script, but I want to be able to use that for something else.
Thanks.
internalaudit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 0:41    Post subject: Re: Buffalo Support Reply with quote
I have the same firmware installed Ratsea. Though it shows unmounted, the usb device is mounted. I have actually been able to connect three USB devices through a USB hub and all were detected in Windows 7.

I'm not sure how to switch on the DLNA feature though as many said this was only available in the DD-WRT friendly firmware.

Hope this helps. I just got this off the web:

# Stop samba service
killall smbd
killall nmbd
sleep 2

# Configure samba
mkdir -p /tmp/etc/samba
echo "
[global]
netbios name = DD-WRT
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = DD-WRT
syslog = 10
obey pam restrictions = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
preferred master = no
os level = 20

security = share
guest account = nobody
invalid users = root, mail, deamon, reboot
null passwords = yes
guest only = yes
map to guest = Bad User

private dir = /tmp/etc/samba/
lock directory = /var/lock/
pid directory = /var/run/

unix charset = UTF-8
dos charset = UTF-8
map archive = No
map hidden = No
map system = No

[Share]
path = /mnt/
read only = no
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
" > /tmp/etc/samba/smb.conf

# Add user for samba
# guest user
grep -q nobody /etc/passwd || echo 'nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/mnt:/bin/false' >> /etc/passwd

# Start samba service
SMBOPTIONS="-s /tmp/etc/samba/smb.conf"
/usr/sbin/smbd $SMBOPTIONS
/usr/sbin/nmbd $SMBOPTIONS

ratsea wrote:
I posted this before but maybe not in the right place?

Just installed 18024 on a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. Very Happy with it. Running for 7 days and no drops.

Can anyone confirm whether scripts in the Services>USB 'Run-on-mount Script Name' option works or not. It used to work OK with older version 15962. The mount point has changed to /mnt/sda_part1/, but I can't get it working. I have tried both in /mnt/ and also /jffs/ but neither seem to get executed. I want to start a miniDLNA server but the script doesn't execute.

Under DiscInfo,it says 'not mounted' which maybe just 'cosmetic', but it could also be causing a script in the Run-on-mount box not to start as it may think nothing is mounted.

There is a workaround by using the script directly in the Command Shell>Startup Script, but I want to be able to use that for something else.
Thanks.
ratsea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44    Post subject: Buffalo Support Reply with quote
Now that's a good answer, but Samba does start OK anyway - sorry for confusion.
I am trying to make MiniDlna autostart. I install it from my 400G USB/NAS as per this thread from Boke
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85847&highlight=minidlna

The Buffalo is enabled as follows which should also start MiniDlna, but it doesn't start:

Enable Core USB Support under Services->USB->USB Support.
USB 2.0 Support = Enable
USB Storage Support = Enable
Automatic Drive Mount = Enable
Run-on-mount Script Name = /mnt/minidlna/start
Disk Mount Point = /mnt
Apply Settings

In 18024 the default Mount point becomes /mnt/sda_part1/ and minidlna is the folder on the NAS for all the application files. Start is supposed to execute:
/mnt/sda_part1/minidlna/minidlna -f /mnt/sda_part1/minidlna/minidlna.conf

but that is the problem, it doesn't run using this method. It does work fine if you simply put the same code in the start-up scripts.

So my question is, does this 'Run-on-mount Script' still work in 18024? If not, does it deserve a Ticket?
Thanks
xur17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if this router supports wmm? I have a Nexus S runing ICS, and I have been having issues lately with voip voice quality. I was going to give wmm a try, but I don't see the option available.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for improving packet loss / jitter? The call latency progressively grows throughout the call, growing up to 1 or 2 seconds (I've tested with sipdroid, csipsimple, and groove ip). Switching to udp seems to fix the latency issue, but the voice quality is still taking a hit (random crackles and clicks).
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
xur17 wrote:
Does anyone know if this router supports wmm? I have a Nexus S runing ICS, and I have been having issues lately with voip voice quality. I was going to give wmm a try, but I don't see the option available.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for improving packet loss / jitter? The call latency progressively grows throughout the call, growing up to 1 or 2 seconds (I've tested with sipdroid, csipsimple, and groove ip). Switching to udp seems to fix the latency issue, but the voice quality is still taking a hit (random crackles and clicks).

WMM is part of 802.11n, so its enabled by default, so the answer is yes.

On your second issue, i am unsure about, but i would for sure look at whats going on around you, do a site survey and choose a channel that isn't being used/overlapped by a neighbor.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
schitthoch2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 16:53    Post subject: SSH-Tunnel refused (VNC/HTTPS on special port) Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Since upgrading from Buffalo's initially flashed DD-WRT Version to DD-WRT v24-sp2(12/20/11) std, I cannot connect to my Server behind DD-WRT via VNC / HTTP.

Port 22 is forwarded in DD-WRT through NAT to the Server and I can connect through it to the Server without problems from any WAN PC. VNC and HTTPS are forwarded in DD-WRT through NAT on special ports too.

Trying to connect to the SSH tunnels from my remote PCs (WAN) with VNC/HTTPS I always get the following error in the Putty Logfile:
Code:
Forwarded connection refused by server: Connect failed [Connection timed out]

I have unchecked Filter WAN NAT Redirection as I suspected the loopback blocking to block the tunnel, but it still does not work.

Putty Settings on the WAN PC did not change since the last working configuration.

I have no scripts configured for startup or similar.

Any ideas?
roadie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

So I upgraded from the Buffalo constructed 1.79 firmware to the Buffalo branded DD-WRT 17798 firmware yesterday. I'm seeing wireless transfer speeds essentially halved when copying files from my desktop (wired gigabit) to my laptop (wireless), but range seems better.

Would upgrading to DD-WRT 18024 help performance in any way do you reckon?
vpritiskovic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
New beta BUFFALO branded 19484 dd-wrt fw.

ftp://188.65.163.247/alpha/

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
vpritiskovic wrote:
New beta BUFFALO branded 19484 dd-wrt fw.

ftp://188.65.163.247/alpha/

Actually this isn't new, its been out for couple months now (look at the date on the firmware), and it exhibits the same behaviors as the community 19519 build for this unit.

vpritiskovic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree, but, speaking only of Buffalo branded dd-wrt fw. this 19484 ver. is labeled as beta - 17798 was alpha...
And I didn't see any backfeed for this latest Buffalo fw.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
vpritiskovic wrote:
I agree, but, speaking only of Buffalo branded dd-wrt fw. this 19484 ver. is labeled as beta - 17798 was alpha...
And I didn't see any backfeed for this latest Buffalo fw.

Seems to work ok if you are using your G300NH for the main AP, but if you use any client + vap mode (atheros dd-wrt repeater)which is what i use my G300NH for, then it doesn't work. 19484 has the same problem that 19519 does:

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/2637

I ended up switching back to the community builds because the buffalo builds include WPS, which from my understanding, is hackable - whether its turned on or off.

vpritiskovic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny thing, for me (client + VAP) is functioning a whole day (after flashing latest BUFFALO) and not having a single issue so far (various clients connected).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: