WiFi limited to 3Mbit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bretthall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 21:38    Post subject: WiFi limited to 3Mbit Reply with quote
I recently upgraded my internet service to ~6Mbit, but cannot see bandwidth exceed 3Mbit when using 802.11g wireless with my wrt54g router. Location does not affect this, I have reasonable signal but even ~10 ft away from the router with no obstruction I see the same effect. When I use an ethernet cable directly to the router, I see the higher speeds (~6Mbit) which I test with speedtest.net to a server in my city (Portland, OR). I've tried a couple different channel settings as well.

I've recently flashed the router to a new version of dd-wrt, I think it was V24-SP1 stable, but will check on exact model if this matters. This didn't change anything.

Do I need to buy a new router, or is this some kind of configuration problem I can solve?

Background:
I'm using a Linksys wrt54G v8 with mostly default settings and dd-wrt. I'm using the latest stable release as of a couple weeks ago. I think this was V24-SP1 but will check. Previously, I experienced the same problem with a version from 2007 too.
I'm using WPA2 Personal encryption, but turning this off doesn't affect the speed.
I tried using different wireless managers on my laptop, Intel vs Windows to no effect.
I tried searching for help on this topic on this site and others, but using "bandwidth limit" as a search term doesn't work well because this is how people ask for QOS. The FAQ didn't seem to have anything either.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
See my sig.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fortunately, I had Murrkf link to the new one from the old....so it should always be found.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 22:14    Post subject: Thanks. I'll try that. Reply with quote
Thanks for the links. I didn't know V24-SP1 was so bad. I'll try the hard-reset, and maybe a newer firmware and see if that has any effect. Perhaps I didn't do the reset correctly when I installed, although I found a page with instructions somewhere on this site which I don't recall had such an authoritative reset step.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same peacock thread...Step #1 is a hard reset instruction.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
the v8 unit specs might have an impact, but as I noted in another thread, I am getting 10Mbps+ inbound on wireless-G via my WRT600Ns in WDS ... results from www.speedtest.net
bretthall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router Model: Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24 (05/24/0Cool micro - build 9526

I don't have time to try resetting tonight, but here's the build I'm using. Is this really V24SP1 or just regular V24?
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
bretthall wrote:
Router Model: Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24 (05/24/0Cool micro - build 9526

I don't have time to try resetting tonight, but here's the build I'm using. Is this really V24SP1 or just regular V24?

30/30/30 hard reset before and after each upgrade.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

Try this update to a newer build of DD-WRT use the gui of dd-wrt to update
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn11793/dd-wrt.v24-11793_NEWD_micro.bin

Don't use any backup configuration files on this newer build enter your settings manually.
bretthall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:37    Post subject: Still slow after a flash to newer firmware. Reply with quote
Thanks for all your help.

I've followed the peacock thread closely and flashed to the recommended version:

Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7 / G2v1
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/01/09) micro - build 11296M NEWD Eko

I flashed 30-30-30 before, and after, with the appropriate waits inbetween. I see identical performance with my wireless after the change, ~2.5Mbit from speedtest.net. If I plug ethernet into my router I see ~5Mbit, still.

I'll try flashing with the same firmware again, just to make sure I got everything clear before/after just in case. (All the exclamation marks in the forums..)

(I selected the Eko, but should I try the brainslayer version?)

(Would using a mini version instead help? How do I tell how much flash it has?)

Is there some other setting I could play with? I upgraded the driver Intel PROSet and driver for my wireless card on my laptop too but that also had no effect. Could there be some hidden setting there that also has the problem? It's an intel Wifi Link 4965AGN.
bretthall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:36    Post subject: Wireless still limits me to 3Mbit.. Reply with quote
I've tried the version Shawn360 mentioned, flashing correctly. Now I get 3Mb, a slight improvement from 2.5Mbit, but definitely not 5 like I do on Ethernet.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/27/09) micro - build 11793M NEWD Eko

I did a channel-scan, using speedtest.net for bandwidth tests for all channels 1-12. Most are ok, 4, 10,11 being the best but a couple are clearly bad, so I don't think channel is a factor in my tests.

Any other ideas out there?
DjStraw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update you wifi card!, or reinstall.

;)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a wireless lan to lan transfer and check that speed
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
bretthall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:06    Post subject: It's not the wifi card in my laptop. Reply with quote
I tried with 2 other computers, another laptop with another intel wifi card and a desktop with a pci wifi card. Both have identical speed.

I think it's the router causing my wifi bottleneck.

Which settings should I consider, or is this hopeless and I need a new router to see speeds > 3Mbit?
bretthall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Try a wireless lan to lan transfer and check that speed

Sorry to be a newb, I'm not sure how to set up that test.

Years ago I had some kind of dos application that would push a specified filesize to another location and time it, but I'd have to set up some kind of filesharing between the two wireless clients and trust whatever sharing system wasn't restricting speed? I'm on Windoze here..
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plug a computer into the router, and then with the wireless computer, transfer a large file. Either time it and figure out the speed based on size or check the transfer speed with a reliable program....or watch the speed in the dd-wrt graphs.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: