communication problem with different subnets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cmaxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 20:15    Post subject: communication problem with different subnets Reply with quote
hi,
i finally managed to create different subnets to prevent multicast packets disturbing my wlan.
i did that staying close to this guide
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_IPTV_without_impact_to_LAN_and_Wireless_traffic

For me that means IPTV - net is 192.168.1.x (lan port 4),
192.168.2.1 is for speedport w700v, 192.168.3.x is for LAN ports 1-3 and 192.168.4.x for WLAN

each net has its own dhcp which is working perfectly, every client gets a ip according to his subnet.

dhcp area starts with 100 so i can also manually set IPs below this number.

internet is working fine for all clients, doesnt matter whether they have automatic ip or manual (with the right gateway)

So but i have a problem now, the communication between the subnets dont work.

i need to establish a working connection between WLAN Subnet (192.168.4.x) and LAN Port 1-3 (192.168.3.x).

Communication within the subnet (e.g. from wlan client 1 to wlan client 2) works without any problem.

what is curious about this issue, sometimes pinging between the subnets does work, but file exchange or any access does not

maybe somebody can help me, would be nice

i'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/13/09) mega - build 11762M NEWD Eko on a WRT54GS 1.1

here are some screenshot of my current config

(here it doesnt matter if I assign Port 4 to LAN bridge or not.. logically i dont do this because i dont want the IPTV reciever to be on LAN subnet)

Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 21:21    Post subject: Re: communication problem with different subnets Reply with quote
cmaxx wrote:
but i have a problem now, the communication between the subnets dont work.

sometimes pinging between the subnets does work, but file exchange or any access does not

That is strange that it works sometimes.

What protocol are you using for file exchange and/or access? Do you mean something like FTP and Remote Desktop?

Maybe show us the output of dd-wrt's route command (from telnet or SSH).
cmaxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
no i tried the standard access via windows explorer (\\192.168.4.x) to a client that has a working sharing folder.
like it worked before i made different subnets

via ftp would be a try, i have to set up the ftp server then..

did you take an overview over my config, did i make any critical mistake?!

(i'M not the dd-wrt expert, there are many settings i don't understand)
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
but file sharing doesn't work across subnets by default. you have to allow it through the Windows firewall.
cmaxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ah that may be the reason for my problems..

can you tell me how to allow file-sharing between the different subnets?
can i set a ip range that is allowed file-sharing? if not, i have to use manual ips and allow for single clients..

thank you
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
what version of windows?
cmaxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
in WLAN 1 Client has Vista x64 and 2 Win XP (x86).
In LAN 1 Client has Vista x64 and 2 Win XP (x86)

One XP LAN Client has a USB Printer installed, and a Sharing Folder for all other Clients in my Network.

So my goal is to allow access on that printer (again) and to the file sharing folder.

Strange is, that XP can ping the other XP client, but no Vista client..
vista can ping XP but no other vista client :/
crizchun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disable Vista firewall and try ping again, just as a way of deducing what the problem might be.
If that doesn't work, disable XP firewall and try ping again.
BTW, this pinging problem...are you trying the ping on 2 machines in the same subnet, or 2 different subnets.
cmaxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi,
i tried to ping from WLAN XP computer (subnet 192.168.4.x) to LAN XP computer (192.168.3.x).

pinging works there but NO file access or printer access.

pinging between subnets and XP<->Vista, Vista<->Vista doesnt work :/

In general, is it possible to configure the firewalls to allow file access through different subnets?
because if the only solution is to shut down all firewalls, I need to figure out another possibility in preventing multicast packets disturbing my WLAN...

(because this is the reason why i'm using different subnets- to hold the multicast back from my WLAN devices..)
falcontrader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:07    Post subject: Windows File and Printer sharing across different subnets Reply with quote
Perhaps you already have the answer, but for anyone else..

Windows Firewall does allow things to be set to permit subnet traffic only (odd when I saw it was ignoring things from another computer with no error :-/).

Go to control panel, Windows Firewall. On the exceptions tab, you'll need to check File and Printer Sharing. Click Edit... and you'll see four ports defined. The Scope colmn will say Subnet. Click Change Scope, and change it to Any Computer (internet...).

After that, you'll be able to do file sharing across subnets. The remaining issue is that you need to do this on any computer you want to be able to access...

-Falcon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: