Recommended Wireless N router w/ replaceable antennas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
SkiDragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08    Post subject: Recommended Wireless N router w/ replaceable antennas? Reply with quote
I am looking to upgrade from my WRT54G router that I have been using in "Client" mode to connect to my landlord's wireless network. His router is far enough away that the connection is usually sketchy. However, since he has a wireless N router, I figure that I could more reliably connect if I was connecting in wireless N mode. I would also like to have the option to connect a different, higher gain antenna if needed, like I have done with my WRT54G. I imagine this setup could connect to legacy B, G, and maybe even A wifi networks as well, if I needed that in the future.

So, I need a wireless N router that can run DD-WRT's client mode, and has removable antennas. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsor
SkiDragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
By the way, I don't care if it is a broadcom router or not. Unfortunately I couldn't find a general hardware discussion forum. Can somebody help me out?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Afaik there aren't any N routers that are supported and have removable antennas. The WRT-160NL was just announced as linksys' first N router to have removable antennas but it's not supported yet.
SkiDragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Perhaps I will wait.

If I removed the requirement for removable antennas, what router would people recommend in order to get the best range out of client mode? Since N seems to use a frequency used by A, can an N router hook up to A networks?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not all N routers support the 5GHz band, the cheap ones only support 2.4GHz but the more expensive dual band models support both.

It can operate using 802.11a but would you really want to cut your throughput that much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: