Unable to connect in N-Only Mode-WRT310N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
BlackPatriarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:24    Post subject: Unable to connect in N-Only Mode-WRT310N Reply with quote
The subject is rather self explanatory...I reset all settings to default on the latest (recommended) build of DDWRT VPN. If the wireless is in any other mode other than N-only it works flawlessly. When any computer attempts to connect Windows simply says "Windows was unable to connect to DDWRT."
Things I've tried:
-reset settings
-manipulation of only the wireless mode after a reset
-auto, 10/20/40 channel width, upper and lower
-auto, manual setting of wireless channel
-and yes, these computers do have wireless n
Sponsor
BlackPatriarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been doing a bit more testing to try to isolate the problem, although I thought I had it isolated before. Switching it to N-only mode doesn't seem to break it every time now. Once I start going through and changing some settings for my proper network setup (wireless security, etc...) it seems to break. I thought maybe if I was changing the settings through the wireless it have been breaking it somehow. In any case, it seems the only way I can get it so any wireless device can connect is by doing a 3x30.

Edit: I can solve the problem by moving back to mixed mode, but this doesn't work for me as I want to support N-only clients with this router. Plus, my wireless speeds seem to fall back to 54mbps with only my laptop connected for some reason.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure it is n and not NA only. See the peacock thread announcement for basic information. Please note #7.

You should save, and then hit apply to save the wireless.

There are specific configurations for 270. Check some of the recent build threads; they usually have them posted.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are definitely doing something wrong I think. What security are you trying to use? It is wisest to use WPA/WPA2-AES for N mode. If using mixed you need to select the Channel Width 40Mhz SAVE, then select Wide Channel upper / lower SAVE. Now select the channel you want to use and Apply Settings.
WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
BlackPatriarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
At murkkf-
I went through amd read that thread and followed the instructions as described. in regard to point seven, I flashed to an Eko build 12307M, standard no-kaid, as suggested by the thread. I also don't know what you mean by 270.

At Blazian-
I don't believe security is relevant because it does not always break when I change the security settings. The goal is to have it work in n only mode.

Despite all this I still get the unable to connect error from windows after messing around with the settings for a while. Is there a certain amount of time I should wait before saving/applying a new setting? I have been going by when my laptop is able to connect to the wireless. what baffles me still is why I am able to go back to mixed mode and have it work.
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
BlackPatriarch wrote:

At Blazian-
I don't believe security is relevant because it does not always break when I change the security settings. The goal is to have it work in n only mode.

Despite all this I still get the unable to connect error from windows after messing around with the settings for a while. Is there a certain amount of time I should wait before saving/applying a new setting? I have been going by when my laptop is able to connect to the wireless. what baffles me still is why I am able to go back to mixed mode and have it work.

It could easily be your wifi card setup or a driver issue. Some NIC's need a certain type of security to work properly, also only work on certain channels.

WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
BlackPatriarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem has been replicated on multiple laptops-all report the same error regardless of security settings. The one thing in common is Windows 7. however, as I have mentioned, there is no one setting that starts the error. The only consistent thing about it is what fixes it, which is a 30x3 reset.

Edit-I thought through what 30x3 reset does, and tried just doing a default settings restore, which allowed me to make connections again. It seems clear to me that the problem lies in changes I'm making. Again, could it be that I'm changing them too fast? What is the difference between saving and applying? Here are the changes I want to make:
-UPnP on
-SSID change, n only mode
-WPA Personal, AES
-a few static routes, DMZ
Nothing terribly fancy in my opinion. Should I try making the changes, backup, 30x3 if there's a problem, and then applying the backup to see if it's a setting or application of those settings issue?
BlackPatriarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump? Any ideas, please? I've been doing a great deal of work to try and figure it out, and I haven't gotten much help, to be frank. I realize that I could probably just settle for mixed mode, but that's not what I want. I want it done the way I want it, and I'm not afraid to do work on it. So please give me a hand here. Any ideas would be appreciated.
BlackPatriarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I would comment a few things I have discovered since I reflashed the stock Linksys firmware. It seems that I am still unable to activate the n only mode...it gives me the same connection error. This makes me think that it may be a hardware issue, although that's merely an educated guess.
BlackPatriarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the solution to the problem:
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/cs-025643.htm

While in n-only mode, the wireless cards in my household's laptops could not auto-fallback to 54mbps, which is what it was doing before. A quick switch to WPA2 and an alteration in the wireless network properties (Win7 apparently does not recognize a difference in WPA and WPA2 when credentials have previously been established for the former.) It's up and running at 130mbps, and I'm considering reflashing back to DDWRT since that was my only problem with it. Hopefully this helps someone else that is having the same problem I was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: