Wake on Lan - is it possible through a client bridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
delajed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:03    Post subject: Wake on Lan - is it possible through a client bridge? Reply with quote
I currently have two WRT54GLs both with an updated version of v24 sp1 (as posted in announcements).

One is acting as an access point, that is connected to the modem. The other is acting as a wireless bridge, with two PCs hardwired to it.

The bridge is working fine as it is. But I've been trying to get WoL (via the Internet) to work for a while now with no success. I moved from Tomato to dd-wrt for this reason and haven't really done any better.

For some reason, any time I try to set up a static dhcp with a PC - it loses connection to the access point. The other computer, with dynamic dhcp however, is just fine.

I've attempted applying these settings on the main access point (since that's where dhcps are dealt with).

Does any one have any idea what's going wrong? And if wake on lan is even possible in this situation?

Thanks.
Sponsor
delajed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I've narrowed it down to the script required in the WOL tutorial. For some reason I lose connection to the access point once I run the script recommended in the WOL dd-wrt tutorial.
delajed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems that my access point doesn't see my PC's MAC address, it only recognizes the bridge...
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something else you might want to do is to upgrade to a more recent version. v24sp1 and before have various issues one of which includes dhcp problems. It might be you are seeing one of those bugs. Read the "Peacock" thread (see my signature) to get a recommended build to move to. I promise, you will like the more recent version also.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
delajed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll give it a go right now, thanks.
delajed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
It turns out I was running an earlier SP2 build on both routers. But even with the most recent upgrade the problem remains.

Am I right to assume that all the settings tweaks (as suggested by the WOL DD-WRT wiki tutorial) should all occur exclusively on the access point? (and not the "dumb" bridge)

The problem seems to occur when I try to run the scripts for permanent ARP entries. The designated IP for the PC I'm trying to wake up shows up in both the "Active Clients" and "DHCP Clients" with the proper MAC address - but I actually am not connected to the access point.

My other PC (on the same bridge, but set with dynamic dhcp) doesn't show up in the DHCP Clients list - but does on the Active Clients list. The interesting part about it, is its displayed MAC address is that of the bridge. And it actually works!

I'm starting to think that the ARP script wasn't written with a bridged network in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: