MEGA vs VPN builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Warwulf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:17    Post subject: MEGA vs VPN builds Reply with quote
So I was recently working on creating a Site-to-Site VPN between two routers by following instructions in the Wiki. One network is using a WRT54G as it's primary router and the other is using a WRT600N. Initially, the VPN wasn't working on the WRT600N's side. After a little bit of tinkering, I noticed that that calls to certain files didn't exist on the MEGA version, despite it's built-in VPN. I switched to the VPN version for the WRT600N and everything works flawlessly.

Of course, this swap also comes at a high price. The VPN version seems to have no support for attached USB drives, ProFTPd, and (consequently) disabled the Samba share.

Is there a way to get this configuration to work on a MEGA build?
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:32    Post subject: Re: MEGA vs VPN builds Reply with quote
Warwulf wrote:
So I was recently working on creating a Site-to-Site VPN between two routers by following instructions in the Wiki. One network is using a WRT54G as it's primary router and the other is using a WRT600N. Initially, the VPN wasn't working on the WRT600N's side. After a little bit of tinkering, I noticed that that calls to certain files didn't exist on the MEGA version, despite it's built-in VPN. I switched to the VPN version for the WRT600N and everything works flawlessly.

Of course, this swap also comes at a high price. The VPN version seems to have no support for attached USB drives, ProFTPd, and (consequently) disabled the Samba share.

Is there a way to get this configuration to work on a MEGA build?

What build?

Try BrainSlayer build of mega located here....not an Eko build.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F07-18-09-r12523%2Fbroadcom/

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 is right, which build (Eko or Branslayer *AND* build number)? In addition, since you were "tinkering", which files did you notice were missing? It would seem more information is in order.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
Warwulf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry about leaving off the build informations, I wasn't sure it was necessary. Anyways, here's the router in question:

Linksys WRT600N v1.1
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/27/09) mega
(SVN revision 12220M NEWD Eko)

And I swapped the firmware for...

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/01/09) vpn
(SVN revision 12426)

As far as calls to which files, I believe it couldn't find /usr/sbin/openvpn as well as not generating the /tmp/static.key and SiteA-SiteB.conf for some reason.

I have not given the BrainSlayer MEGA a try yet, and I wasn't aware of the differences between the two. The only real explanation that I found for the differences was that BrainSlayer's are the "Official" releases. I'll download the latest BrainSlayer SVN tonight and report back on the results.
Warwulf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so I didn't have to wait until tonight...

I uploaded BrainSlayer's MEGA, specifically, this version:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/18/09) mega
(SVN revision 12523)

The good news is that the VPN is still working and I get a ping response using the local IP of computers on the other network. The confusing thing is, I still can't find any of those files I mentioned before (which I had previously guessed was the cause of the VPN not working). Am I miss reading something? Or rather... what am I misunderstanding?

Let me know if you need any dumps of anything, I'll be happy to provide.

[EDIT] Disregard the bit about not finding those mentioned files after upgrading to SVN 12523. I had telnet'd into the wrong router. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: