eko vs bs builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
PetervdM
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:34    Post subject: eko vs bs builds Reply with quote
what is the difference? are they interchangeable?
Sponsor
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
see peacock thread in broadcom forum (its an announcement / sticky)
1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
DarKYiNe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
also wondering what the differences are
checked the peacock thread but found nothing
weirdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
DarKYiNe wrote:
also wondering what the differences are
checked the peacock thread but found nothing

Read this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_"DD-WRT"%3F#File_Versions

WG

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Search for

EKO Brainslayer differences

this has been discussed many times. Wink

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
PetervdM
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
this has been discussed many times. Wink

... and it will continue to be discussed as there is no clear statement, nor in the wiki, neither in the sticky threads of this forum. i come accross two threads: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45891 with an answer from 'frater' in januari 2009 who looked in /usr/sbin, and http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51708&highlight=eko+brainslayer+differences with an answer from 'lambition' in may 2009, who did not mention his source.
they are certainly not forum moderators, so it hard for me to value their statements.
wiki tells dd-wrt is 'maintained by brainslayer', so i presume that his build is leading, although i have the impression eko is more active nowadays.

the reason for me to ask is that the current BS12319 mega wrt610n build is 7.767.040 bytes, which is only 228.352 bytes away from the maximum size allowed. what will happen if the build exceeds the maximum? will there stuff be dropped from the common code base, or wil stuff be dropped from the brainslayer only modules? who will decide this, and will we ( the forum ? ) have a vote? will this be generic, or only for wrt610n?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would you value the wiki over a forum statement? Anyone can edit the wiki. And why would you value a statement of a mod more than a forum poster? Frater knows more in his little finger than what I know.

As to whether the forum will get a vote about what BS does...I think I can guess as to that answer. BS releases are the only official dd-wrt releases.

In any event, my philosophy is to check things out for yourself if you want greater certainty on this. You have enough information to do so and there is no danger in doing so.

I don't run Mega.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is from multiple Google searches and posts.

The only outstanding question is whats the different toolsets that BS and Eko use.

These are cuts out of various posts that have the most important information.

-----------------------------------------------------

SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:15 am Post subject:
Either one, the only difference really is that Brain Slayer works on the main compatibility related issues and some bugs, and EKO seems to be the "bug exterminator" who, provided that you give him clear and concise documentation of issues, fixes a major portion of the bugs that crop up. For the MOST part, loading your router with the latest SVN build revision number ensures that you have the latest bug fixes and corrections that have been implemented by Brain Slayer, EKO and others.

----------------------------

soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:46 am Post subject:
No

Eko's builds are based off of the same code as BrainSlayer's. They work together on this project.

Basically the only real difference between VINT and NEWD is driver and nas version.

Furthermore, BrainSlayer's builds are virtually identical to Eko's NEWD builds (short of firmware install scripts and file names).

----------------------------

frater
DD-WRT Guru

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:15 pm Post subject:
It IS in this forum...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45891

Brainslayer's mega-build also contains tcpdump & asterisk

Eko has some more builds with different packages/drivers.
DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega (c) 2009 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 06/19/09 (SVN revision: 12318)

-------------------------------

frater
DD-WRT Guru

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 pm Post subject:
I just loaded the latest Eko (19-9-2009) and did a compare of /usr/sbin.

These packages are in Brainslayer's and not in Eko's:

astgenkey
tcpdump
streamplayer
autosupport
safe_asterisk
rvnamed
stereorize
aelparse
asterisk (1.3 MB)
iptraf

I think the missing iptraf in Eko's build is a bug....
DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega (c) 2009 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 06/19/09 (SVN revision: 12318)

------------------------------------

crashfly
DD-WRT User

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:34 pm Post subject:
hmmm ... let me see .... details, details ....

It would seem to me that Brainslayer's builds have some programs that do things, where as Eko's builds *do not* have those programs.

Personally, if you do not know what each program does, then you should not be trying to figure out the differences between them.

-------------------------------------

crashfly
DD-WRT User

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:58 am Post subject:
Actually, I was being rude and sarcastic. I apologize. I think asterisk has to do with voice over ip (VOIP). And most of the other "extra" programs I think are there to support asterisk. I do not know if there are any extra 'visible' features from the web gui, but that is about all I know for now.

------------------------------------

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:16 pm Post subject:
I run them both but eko is the only store for vint. I do wish BS would name his builds with the version. I tried to link a poster to one of his builds.. When I went to his DL section, I had no clue as to what was what in regards to build / svn number. I had to abort the post.
1 X wrt600n
1 x Wrt54G V3
1 X Wrt54g V8
1 X Wap54g V2
2 X WSB24
6 X +7dbi Antenna's

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:43 pm Post subject:
barryware wrote:
I realize & understand everything you are saying. However, I can't say that Eko's builds are functionally better than BS's builds. They both run fine (when they run fine)

I'll bet that is why this poll has eko in the lead.. Just cause you know what build you are about to flash without having to flash it.

No big deal because in my last post, I figured out how to do it (flash a spare) but geez..

Yeah...I agree....both run equally well (when they run) in my opinion too.

I don't have any preferences between them....unless it is in regard to the micro+ builds and VINT then Eko is the only supplier as you said earlier.

I have 3 micro units currently.

V5 = micro.bin
V5 = micro_plus.bin
G2V1 = micro_plus_ssh.bin

So...when BS puts out a build...the last two don't get updated...only the first V5 unit with micro only.

redhawk

Looking for more test units (newer models) for the project...got a brick?...PM me to make a donation. (USA)

stephensuley
DD-WRT User

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:27 pm Post subject:
Differences between Eko and BS builds

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BrainSlayer's builds are virtually identical to Eko's NEWD builds (short of firmware install scripts and file names).
One more thing to note...Eko builds are not "official" builds. Only BrainSlayer compiled builds will make it to the "Stable" status. There will be a link to the Eko VINT builds but officially, only the BS compiled builds are supported by BrainSlayer.

He has told me that numerous times.

Personally, I don't find much difference between the two compilations. Sometimes one or the other will work better (usually they are build versions apart) but overall they function pretty much the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Eko uses a new compression method? (I read about)

BrainSlayer only builds using the new driver. Eko still creates VINT builds for older routers. Eko also creates some "customized" builds that were requested, such as micro+ and VPN_jffs. While they use the same code tree, they also compile using slightly different tool sets, so some people have found that one build or the other works best on their setup.

I just loaded the latest Eko (19-9-2009) and did a compare of /usr/sbin.

These packages are in Brainslayer's and not in Eko's:

astgenkey
tcpdump
streamplayer
autosupport
safe_asterisk
rvnamed
stereorize
aelparse
asterisk (1.3 MB)
iptraf

I think the missing iptraf in Eko's build is a bug....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is the information I found over the post thus far....does anyone have anything I am missing?

If complete;

As a start the part that leaves me asking for more information the most is the ;

"they also compile using slightly different tool sets..."

Myself I would like a lot more information about this item.

3x WRT610N AP, Client, Repeater Mode v24-sp2 (04/29/09) mega - build 12017M
2x WRT310n AP Mode - v24-sp2 (03/27/09) mini - build 11793M NEWD Eko

------------------------------------------------------

stephensuley
DD-WRT User

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:46 pm Post subject:
4512jth wrote:
IDK if its just me, but I think BS builds do not include the pretty themes...

Nice find,

when i compare my BS build 610nMega to a Eko std.nokaid.usb610n there does seem to be a few more themes in the eko build.

Thanks...I wonder what eles.....

3x WRT610N AP, Client, Repeater Mode v24-sp2 (04/29/09) mega - build 12017M
2x WRT310n AP Mode - v24-sp2 (03/27/09) mini - build 11793M NEWD Eko

---------------------------------------

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:48 pm Post subject:
I believe that they use different versions of linux as their development environment, but I would have to search further to find this out for sure.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't this just like beating a dead horse to the ground? Maybe differences between Eko and BS builds need to be added to the "Peacock" thread. That would give us another reason to tell people to read the damn thing.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah... it is.

You can lead/drag a horse to water, but you can't make it drink
if its too lazy or dead though...

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
The original question presumes that there are two types of official builds. There aren't.

BS builds are the only official released builds and when SP2 comes out, it will be a BS build. The test builds are just that; tests put out by developers. Sometimes EKO puts these out and sometimes BS puts them out. They use the same code and compile slightly different packages. I believe that the components only differ in mega builds.

All builds are a compilation of BS and EKO code. So, the difference between them is that EKO has compiled the code, or BS has compiled the code, and released that code for further testing.

People who ask what the difference is between them likely should not be testing the builds that are test releases and should just be using whatever is stable and recommended. In which case, the difference between the builds is moot. Obviously this only applies in the broadcom forum, as EKO only releases builds for broadcom devices.

IMHO, testing is not for people who really don't understand what they are doing and why. The peacock thread is meant for novices, not more advanced users, so I am reluctant to put information there that relates to things that doesn't pertain to information newbs need. It would likely cause more aggravation/questions than it resolves.

With respect to making it a sticky, we are trying to reduce the number of stickies. This information can easily be found with a search. If, like the OP did, they feel that further verification of the information is required, they can safely try the versions to see.

I still find the line about the information not being reliable as not from a mod to be amusing. :P

Most of the regulars around here know far more than I, as most of the regulars around here know! Laughing

freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
use one unless there are topics about using the other for your specific harwdare.

if you have any problems, try the other.

if you brick it, jtag it!

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
PetervdM
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
i am used to read before trying. so i began reading the first item in the forum: "Please update from V24 or V24-SP1 to a newer build". 2 builds are mentioned:

"For Eko builds (which includes VINT)
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12307/

or if you prefer BrainSlayer builds (12318-12319)

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-19-09-r12319/broadcom/"

btw, nowhere is mentioned that these are test builds.

but how can i have a preference if there is no explanation of the differences?? that's why i went to search for information.
if you don't want confusion for newbies, you should only mention one type of build.

@murrkf: anyone can edit the wiki, and also anyone can post in this forum. and with 34.000+ threads and 215.000+ posts it is impossible to read them all and value the remarks of the posters. but if a moderator vouches for their reliability or knowledge, is that good enough for me.

thx all, for sharing your knowledge and information
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
PetervdM wrote:
btw, nowhere is mentioned that these are test builds.

You probabably needed to read both announcements.... Wink Wink

Peacock Announcement Note 3 wrote:
Upgrade to a recommended newer build, especially if you are running SP1 or earlier builds. Newer builds contain fixes for bugs. At the time of writing, the latest official build is v.24 SP1. SP1 has a LOT of issues. These issues are fixed with some of the later builds. However, sometimes new builds have new bugs. New builds are BETA and not "finished" yet. Although you use them at your own risk these builds have been pretty thoroughly tested and work well, certainly better than SP1. Browse the forums and see what others are saying....

I understand that if you have tried neither, you can't have a preference. Many people that have tried both have no preference. So, Redhawk's post says IF you have a preference.....

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like Eko cause his name is shorter and easier to type than BrainSlayer...

However.. If you refer to BrainSlayer as BS, then his name is shorter and easier to type.. I guess I should just test BOTH.

V24-SP1 Razz

Navigation

Jump to: