Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
grapeburrito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 15:27    Post subject: Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly Reply with quote
I successfully JTAGed my MN-700 and flashed the v24 SP1 [Stable] Build 10020 firmware.

I'm able to get to the config pages, save and apply settings changes over the wired LAN, but I can't connect wireless to the network.

More detail:

I'm running on a Cox cable modem connected to a Smoothwall firewall. From there, I connect to a 16-port switch. Elsewhere in my house I have a non-DD-WRT WRT54G router set to AP mode. Wireless clients have no problem connecting to this one.

I needed additional coverage in the house, so I dusted off the old MN-700 and JTAGed it. I want this to be a second AP for the house.

So, following the guides, I have changed the following:

• WAN Connection Type set to Disabled
  • DHCP Type set to DHCP Forwarder
  • DHCP Server set to my Smoothwall (192.168.0.1)
  • Wireless mode set to AP
  • Wireless Channel set to 11 (the other AP is on Ch. 6)
  • Wireless Security settings are open (testing purposes only)
  • SIP Firewall set to Disable
  • all the Block WAN Requests are unchecked.

Next, I applied the settings and rebooted the device. When it comes back up, I cannot connect to the wireless network. I'm connected to one of the LAN ports and not the WAN, so I know that's not a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas where to go from here? I just finished doing a Firmware Upgrade on it to try another flash. No dice.

Thanks a million!
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Re: Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly Reply with quote
grapeburrito wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

To the announcements at the top of the forum.... Wink

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
grapeburrito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Re: Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
grapeburrito wrote:

I feel like a schmuck! Embarassed

I couldn't really tell what version I'm supposed to grab for my device. A quick search came up with an old v.23 build: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4770.

So I grabbed that and installed it. Things seem to be working now.
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 16:38    Post subject: Re: Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly Reply with quote
grapeburrito wrote:
Murrkf wrote:
grapeburrito wrote:

I feel like a schmuck! Embarassed

I couldn't really tell what version I'm supposed to grab for my device. A quick search came up with an old v.23 build: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4770.

So I grabbed that and installed it. Things seem to be working now.

^^That build is even older than the one you were using.
30/30/30 hard reset before and after each upgrade.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

Newer build of DD-WRT use the web GUI of DD-WRT to update this.
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12307/dd-wrt.v24-12307_VINT_std.bin
grapeburrito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 19:08    Post subject: Re: Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly Reply with quote
Shawn360 wrote:
^^That build is even older than the one you were using.

Newer build of DD-WRT use the web GUI of DD-WRT to update this.
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12307/dd-wrt.v24-12307_VINT_std.bin

Well, I've got another hitch in my wagon. After loading that firmware, the AP works for a little while then becomes unresponsive. The power light goes off, then amber, then green, and off again. The Wireless light and port light are still on.

The device is also unresponsive to pings when this happens.

It seems to work fine until a wireless client connects. Once the client connects, it provides usable Internet access. Then, after a some time, the alternating power light starts to happen and the device isn't accessible.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 19:32    Post subject: Re: Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly Reply with quote
Shawn360 wrote:

Sounds like a failing to follow this part of shawn's advice.....

Sigh. Read the peacock thread announcement. Slowly.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
grapeburrito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Re: Microsoft MN-700 w/DD-WRT can't connect wirelessly Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Shawn360 wrote:

Sounds like a failing to follow this part of shawn's advice.....

Sigh. Read the peacock thread announcement. Slowly.

I assume you're referring to the note regarding ASUS units. Yes, I read it, and no it is not occurring after completing the 30/30/30 reset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: