Provide wireless hotspot without access to LAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ichilton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:58    Post subject: Provide wireless hotspot without access to LAN Reply with quote
Hi,

I currently have a Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 running DD-WRT v24 SP1 Mega which is connected to an ADSL modem on the WAN port and uses both wireless and LAN.

What I want to do is provide a 'hotspot system' for guests to come in and get internet access by entering a simple password I will give them, but not be able to access the internal LAN/WLAN.

I am looking for the easiest way to do this - any suggestions?

The ideal would be to do it on the existing WRT54GS but i'm guessing I can't do that as the wireless is already in use for the local network?

So, i'm thinking I could put a 2nd WRT54GS (I have a v4 one too), connected to a LAN port on the main router, set it up as a hotspot (which is the best/simplest way?) and use a different IP range with some firewall rules on the main router to not let communication happen between the existing ip range and the new hotspot one.

Would that work?

The other idea I had was to setup the hotspot on the current router and use the options to separate it from the LAN - and then plug a separate access point into the LAN ports on it to provide internal wireless.

Any thoughts/advice?

Anyone else running a similar setup?

Thanks,

Ian
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a wiki article on this. And you should read the announcements.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ichilton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Please could you clarify which article is relevant (the title)?

Which announcements?

Thanks,

Ian
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The announcements are at the top of the forum.

I am not sure of the name of the article (otherwise I would have given it...I wasn't being coy). Go to the wiki and try a search on hotspot or private or both. You could also search the forum using the search function....your question does get asked several times a week.

You could link two routers lan to wan by cable. See the article "linking routers" in the wiki.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ichilton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Can't see anything in announcements but I think i've since found a way to do it - using multiple SSID's.

It seems that in v24 you can add a virtual wireless interface on a different ip range - and then use ip tables commands to restrict the usage of the 'public' wireless :)

Thanks,

Ian
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
SP1 will likely give you "issues", but glad you got it sorted out.
ichilton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you mean "issues"?

Is there an SP2 on the way out?

Thanks,

Ian
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
We are back to:

You need to read the announcements....

ichilton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, thanks...
ichilton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I've found what you mean now! - I was looking at the announcements forum before but I see you now mean the sticky announcement threads in this forum :)

A few of the threads talk about both Brainslayer and Eko versions without actually saying what the differences are or giving recommendations what to use - is there any info on that anywhere?

Why don't both developers commit back to the same repository?

Thanks,

Ian
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will point you to a thread I created while trying to do the same thing with the current builds. You will notice one of developers chimed in and gave a good explaination of why I couldn't get it to work.

Take a look at this thread...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54579
ichilton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - that's a bumber!

He does say that if they are bridged then you have to have the same security - how about trying to get it working not bridged?

Ian
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gee, I don't know Ian. Try it and let us know Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: