wndr-3300 3 node WDS - clients not giving me an IP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ronstory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 18:46    Post subject: wndr-3300 3 node WDS - clients not giving me an IP Reply with quote
Hi--

Hopefully I'm just doing something dumb. I tried searching by didn't find anything that helped.

I have three wndr-3300 routers and I'm setting them up at a host and two clients. I religiously followed the tutorial at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS and after many hours I can now follow the steps from memory. ;^) I only did not do the "optional but not recommended" Step 13.

Host 192.168.1.1
Client1 192.168.1.2
Client2 192.168.1.3

My problem is after I get a valid WDS connection from the host to each client with about 30-40% signal strength but the client won't issue me an IP address. If I cable from the host to LAN connectors on the clients and cable my PC either of the clients I get an IP address. When I uncable them and let the establish the WDS connections, I can wirelessly connect to the host and get an IP, but when I wirelessly connect to the either of the clients, I don't receive an IP address.

If I wirelessly connect to either client and set a static IP on my PC (same subnet) I can access the dd-wrt setup page on the cleints. Both clients show a valid WDS connection with the host (same 30-40% signal).

Any help or ideas definitely appreciated. Smile

Thanks,
Ron
Sponsor
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you read WDS Multiple router setup?

#6 On the WDS tab select LAN on the left for each router you wish to add and then put in the MAC address of only the router(s) that are immediately adjacent to this router in your WDS setup. Get the proper MAC address from the top of the WDS tab in the router(s) you want the primary router to connect with.
# Hit APPLY after finishing that page.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_multiple_router_setup

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 22:31    Post subject: Re: wndr-3300 3 node WDS - clients not giving me an IP Reply with quote
ronstory wrote:
Hopefully I'm just doing something dumb. I tried searching by didn't find anything that helped.

Please read this link ... http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54889

Quote:
* State your build number, version and build date. Do not state "I am using the latest build".
* State your router model, and version/revision in your post. If you are unsure of this information, also post your serial number and FCC number.
* Clearly explain what you have done and what happened, or what you want to do (e.g. network drawings). Remember that we are not there to see what is happening, so you have to describe it in detail. But no stories of life plz.
* Post screen shots of the relevant pages of the dd-wrt web-interface. It will help to clarify your issue.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
ronstory
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I read the multiple routers link in the tutorial and the host links to each client and the client only link back to the host in the WDS tables)

<Client1> -- <Host> -- <Client>

The host has two WDS entries for each radio (I'm using both the 2.4 and 5G radios for the WDS) and clients each just have a single entry for the host.

Apologies on not providing config info, I had hoped to keep it short and simple. My fault.

I'm using the recommend build for the WNDR3300 from the router database "v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 13064" dated 2009-10-10.

Netgear WNDR-3300 - it's a refurb from Newegg and doesn't seem to have a FW rev on the bottom. DD-WRT reports the CPU Model as 'Broadcom BCM4704 chip rev 9'

Now I did an experiment. I turned off Client2 so I just has Host and Client1. Note I did not remove Client2 MACs from the Host's WDS tables. On Client1 I enabled the DHCP server and set it's start address at 192.168.1.50 and kept the max DHCP users at the default of 50.

When I connected to a Client it give issues me anIP address but I still can't ping the Host's IP address.

More experiments tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ron
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: