How Stable is your Signal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
we4 wrote:
Any specific details on these hacks? From your first few post you only mentioned things like power supply modification (caps on the card, bigger input PSU, PSU caps) and shielding. Those of course would decrease noise and increase stability, but not increase the gain of the amplifier stage or the input sensitivity.

And additional details (preferably as technical as possible, EE in training), would be appreciated.

Page 8 and on

the jumper on the regualtor puts the rf amp a full Vcc well as full as the main power regulator will do.
its all thair just read....
buy turning up the pupply voltage from 4.72v to 5.04v the rf amp will let you do more rf power out.
8)

we4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radioman193 wrote:
we4 wrote:
Any specific details on these hacks? From your first few post you only mentioned things like power supply modification (caps on the card, bigger input PSU, PSU caps) and shielding. Those of course would decrease noise and increase stability, but not increase the gain of the amplifier stage or the input sensitivity.

And additional details (preferably as technical as possible, EE in training), would be appreciated.

Page 8 and on

the jumper on the regualtor puts the rf amp a full Vcc well as full as the main power regulator will do.
its all thair just read....
buy turning up the pupply voltage from 4.72v to 5.04v the rf amp will let you do more rf power out.
8)

That's for the WHR-HP-G54 isnt it? I was wondering about the WRT300N you did the initial work on. Is there a second stage regulator on the PCMCIA card that you bypassed or something?
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes that is for the WHR-HP-G54
the mods for the wrt300n well its alot of work
i never posted them cause thay are not just "simple" mods and did not want people to destroy there router trying to complete them.
and it was just a test router and now is back to "normal" well Most of it is with a wpc600n in it .
just waiting for Non broken firmware to come out.

Cool

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radioman193 wrote:

i never posted them cause thay are not just "simple" mods and did not want people to destroy there router trying to complete them.

I'm about to graduate with a degree in electrical engineering, so it sounds like fun to me :wink:

Not to mention the experience can't be a BAD thing seeing as we install a lot of microwave equipment at work. Destroying things is just part of learning as far as I'm concerned.
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting note...

Been playing with signals lately...optimal settings...cantenna...WRT54GS and Buffalo routers and noticed that depending on your laptop wireless card
the signal strength and quality changes. I have a Linksys WPC54GS PCMCIA card in my laptop and the signal is very choppy. Using an HP laptop with a built in wireless card the signal is smooth and a lot stronger. Didn't look at the HP wireless but it is BC. Makes sense I guess but I think a lot of people may be missing this point when trying to optimize or trouble shoot crappy connections?

squibt

2Wire (dont ask)
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
but try to get a stable and clean signal on Whatever card you use.
I have seen this alot myself but can make it good and stable on
Intel , dell , Broadcom , Atheros cards.
Cool
sdoboze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 13:52    Post subject: Drinking? or thinking? Reply with quote
squibT wrote:

sdoboz0,

Ya really ought not to start drinking so early on a Sunday morning...

squibt

Okay. Do you need it in hand signals and picto-grams? Or can you figure it out by reading my post a few times? I try not to grovel to the level of misspellings and private attacks in a public forum.

* If you want to hard-wire an antenna pigtail directly to the 'source' of the signal, fine.

* If you want to use a simple part which gives a nice finished product, that's okay too.

User Radioman's solution for adding a second antenna, which he compares with the other mod as 'wrong', will work and give a more stable, stronger signal. Otherwise, those traces on the buffalo board are very long. The LINX Technologies part CONREVSMAxxx gives a nicer finished product and less work. If you want to go the 'radioman route', then it's necessary to put the Buffalo in an entirely different box as radioman has. The case it comes in is just shit for those comprehensive mods he is on about.

I'll post some signal inSIDDer readings as soon as I can make the time; it's not a high priority now.
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
you dont NEED to change the case to do the antenna mod the proper way its just that the 2 antennas will be close to eatch other .
Or you can use the antenna connectors for Ext. antennas.
I did a case change cause the buff. did not come with a stand , the case was in Poor shape , amd for better cooling.
as the 300n case has alot more room in it
It is in like new condition
and will stand Vert.
oh yes it looks Better Very Happy
Cool
sdoboze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:12    Post subject: radioman193 Reply with quote
WHR-HP-G54 with the multi-voltage 5v 2.6 amp power supply pictured earlier.

In response, magnetic bases with a 1.5 meter cable ending in an RP-SMA connector are used. 9db internal antennas are weatherized with heat-shrink tubing on their two joints and the connection to the magnetic base.

Was wondering how much you believe the signal can be turned up in the mw setting until the output is balanced with the receive? Had settled on 30mw boardflags 3xxx when using the same setup as a client radio, connecting to free WLAN while waiting for an Internet connection to be installed or activated. Any more than 30mw did not seem to make a difference in performance as a client or AP. You have written outrageous mw settings do make a difference. The radio is installed with one antenna up, one down, on a boom 1 meter out from the edge of the building, so the omni's are direct line-of-site north and south on the street below. 3rd floor european old construction, 10ft ceilings inside. 4th floor if you are counting the ground floor as floor 1.
squibT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radioman193 wrote:
squibT wrote:
Radioman193 wrote:
The Mods are Complete and have passed all my tests.

and i replaced the 5volt 1.4amp power supply with a 5volt 2.5amp .
Cisco Systems power supply
Part # 34-0912-01 REV:A0

Enjoy the "toy"

Very Happy

Radioman...

What is the C11 chip on the flip side of the fuse? Will it fall off when the fuse is removed? I think I'm gonna take the router into an electronics shop and have them do the soldering...sooooo smallll can't see em...

squibt

lol
no it will not
Cool

Hey Radioman...
Got my Buffalo power mod done. Took the board into a radio shop and had them solder the wire...what a perfect job they did...

Re-assembled the router and booted it up and set the tx to 31 and it burned a hole in my study door!

Backed it off to 28 mW. Really just looking for a super stable signal as you pointed out upping the amps would do.

Question...can I use any 5v power supply up to 5 amps? I have a 3 amp one now.

1259mW.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.34 KB
 Viewed:  17562 Time(s)

1259mW.jpg

BuffModd2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.54 KB

BuffModd2.jpg

BuffModd1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.84 KB

BuffModd1.jpg

2Wire (dont ask)
sdoboze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21    Post subject: 5v power supply Reply with quote
It doesn't matter how many amps it is. The router unit is only going to take as many as it needs to use.

Imagine the quality of the power is much more important. Those power supplies which can deliver a smooth and consistent 5v under varying loads are better than cheaper models which simply deliver more amperage.
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
True
BUT
The more amperage your power supply can provide the COOLER the power supply will run.
Cool
squibT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:13    Post subject: Re: 5v power supply Reply with quote
sdoboze wrote:
It doesn't matter how many amps it is. The router unit is only going to take as many as it needs to use.

Imagine the quality of the power is much more important. Those power supplies which can deliver a smooth and consistent 5v under varying loads are better than cheaper models which simply deliver more amperage.

Thanx sdoboze,

Makes sense. What I am looking for is a strong high quality signal.

Radioman...you said you have WRT54G routers you are using with a better power supply....I have a WRT54G Ver 2.2 and GS Ver 1 and both have 12v 1000mA ps. What ps can I use on these boxes to better the quality?....

Forget it. I re-read this thread and got my answer...

2Wire (dont ask)
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:45    Post subject: Re: 5v power supply Reply with quote
squibT wrote:
sdoboze wrote:

Thanx sdoboze,

Makes sense. What I am looking for is a strong high quality signal.

Radioman...you said you have WRT54G routers you are using with a better power supply....I have a WRT54G Ver 2.2 and GS Ver 1 and both have 12v 1000mA ps. What ps can I use on these boxes to better the quality?....

Forget it. I re-read this thread and got my answer...

3 to 5 amp
Cool
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: