How Stable is your Signal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
sdoboze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12    Post subject: radioman93: Can the fuse be left on? Reply with quote
Here, it seems there are two pads on the WHR-HP-G54 to draw power from. Is the 4.5x volt pad or is it a 5.x volt pad with a voltage drop due to the fuse?

edit: checked it. the two voltages are different. Going to put the fuse in line with the 5v source.

edit: damned surface-mount fuse broke. straight-wiring it.
Sponsor
sdoboze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 16:07    Post subject: did the mods, been working for months Reply with quote
let everyone know the mods work.

I have photos i need to upload to update the wiki.

but yeah, generally the mods work great.

strong signal.

13064 build
Jamby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3700 question about amps Reply with quote
So I just read this entire thread. First, Radioman193, thanks for all the work invested. This is extremely useful info. I plan to buy a new power supply for my Netgear WNDR3700. Stock amps (listed) are 2.5 @ 12 volts. So I figure I'll buy a switching 12v 5a. Most likely from ABT here in Chicago. Regardless of source, do you see any issues with that? I'm simply checking as my model wasn't listed anywhere here, but I believe the theory will be the same. Ok, now here's a question: How about my Cisco DPC3000 docsis 3 cable modem. Possibly underpowered? I'm not really sure how I would test that as there is no radio signal to measure. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
facebookfan21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
If during the conversion period your unknown signal could change bu more than 1/2 the voltage weight of your ADC's least significant bit, you will need an SHA between a sensor and an ADC. This could also help <a hred= http://www.fbadpower.com/> facebook ad power</a>. Exclamation
nariub
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28    Post subject: Power Supply for WRT310N Reply with quote
I just got a couple of these for my wrt310n routers.

http://www.mini-box.com/24w-12v-2A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter?sc=8&category=980

The plug fits and they are 12V 2A vs the 12V 1A that came with.

I modded mine to have 40x40MM fans on the top, and tapped the power for them by soldering into the power on the board. Got to worrying about that when I heard that the 1A stock power was close to the limit of what the router needed. Now I have a bit more breathing room and they are working fine so far.
Jamby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 15:05    Post subject: WNDR3700 amp increase is an upgrade Reply with quote
I updated my wall wart from stock to the recommended item listed previously in the thread. In essence, I went from 12 volts 2.5 amp to 12 volts 5 amp. The results have been wonderful. There are routinely 20 devices connected to the router in our coffee shop. The wireless is stable, much more stable than stock, and has increased range. I power off nightly. During the day (6:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.) it handles the traffic without reboots. Highly recommend upgrading.
Mugen87
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have my wrt54g set up with dd-wrt. I will be getting a better psu with in the next week. I will post results on the change over.

WRT54G 4.2: DD-WRT v24-sp2
mojso
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I connect my wrt54gl v1.1, to take power from car battery that has 12 volts 55 Amp?

wrt54gl v1.1. with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std-nokaid
(SVN revision 14929) + 1GB SD Card + Optware + MyPage + lighttpd

WDS linked

wrt54gl v1.1. with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std-nokaid
(SVN revision 14929)
+ 2GB SD Card + Optware + MyPage

MyEvolution
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 17:52    Post subject: WRT300n v1 radio issues Reply with quote
So, I purchased a used 300n v1 off Ebay. Plugged it in, seemed to be working perfectly, flashed w/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt300n flashed from this link on the wiki installation procedure:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt300n.bin.

I read all the instructions very carefully, including the peacock, among others, not skipping any steps. The install went smoothly & the firmware worked good with some connection problems as a client bridge to another router on my network for about 2hrs. Then, I lost the signal completely. I found that the radio had turned itself off & the wireless light on the router itself has gone off. Tried trouble shooting the problem to no avail; couldn't put load of a connection through the router for more than 30 mins.

I found this thread, read it start to finish, & decided to but a new ps. Found a 12v 4a @ the flea market locally & fired it up. Seemed to work initially streamin youtube all day @ work, got it home, got an hour of service then the radio turned off again, ah! Evil or Very Mad.

So, brought it back to work, seamless video streaming with 2 youtube web pages open with playlists going, no problems (the idea being to load the router) Decided to ad an external fan to draw air from the bottom as I'm putting this router outdoors in south Florida heat while playing xbox live.

Report: since switching to the new power supply & external fan, I have had no issues with the radio turning off. I still have an issue accessing the web GUI, seems I have to do a hard reset every time I turn on my computer. Also the range is not as good as a piece 54g v6 w 7dbi antennas. I think it's time to mod the antennas on my 300n...

Last edited by MyEvolution on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:43; edited 1 time in total
MyEvolution
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39    Post subject: Now for mods Reply with quote
Radioman, wanted to ask for some pictures of the antenna mods you did to your 300n. I am having range issues & would like to mod mine. I have the case apart & am ready to buy supplies to dig in...
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
strapabiro wrote:
I saw some other members stating that the factory wall wart (1A) is weak for thiese routers and they are using 5A ones.
Ok let's say it's true but from 1A to 5A? Isn't that a bit high?

As a clarification since this thread is pointed to in the Wiki:

The voltage rating on a power supply is what it will supply to the device it is plugged into.

The Amp/Current rating is the maximum nominal current it is capable of supplying.

The device attached to the supply will only draw the current it needs to operate.

A router trying to draw more current than the supply can deliver will exhibit strange problems, distorted radio signals and poor wifi performance.

A router with a high current (5 amp or better) supply is a happy beast.

Dave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 Display posts from previous:    Page 16 of 16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: