How Stable is your Signal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
No heat issues to report. Router isn't any warmer than normal. I'm going to run it at 1W (1000mW) both bands for awhile, just to see what happens.

wl -i eth0 txpwr1
TxPower is 120 qdbm, 30.00 dbm, 1000 mW Override is Off

wl -i eth1 txpwr1
TxPower is 120 qdbm, 30.00 dbm, 1000 mW Override is Off

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
The red line is the 2.4GHz radio. Yellow, 5GHz. The changes in the 2.4GHz radio basically just happen when I hit apply. No matter the Tx value, the router seems to just assing a high or low setting. 5GHz dropped when I set it at 1000mW, but it was fairly consistent. Came back up when I lowered it to 250mW.

5A.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.98 KB
 Viewed:  12174 Time(s)

5A.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, after testing the new 5A ps on both of my 600N's, I can confirm that the signal on both radios is much cleaner, more consistent. Before, when I would increase Tx power on the radios, I would get a highly fluctuating signal, very inconsistent. Now, when I increase the Tx power, the signal is much more consistent. Still fluctuates a bit, especially on the 5GHz band, but way better, and more stable, than stock ps.

I'm out for the night, I'll be testing more tomorrow.

And no, I haven't noticed any heat issues. Like Radioman said, I think the majority of the heat is generated by the switch, not the radios themselves. I had both radios running at 1000mW for over 1 hour, and it wasn't any hotter than running at 70mW.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Someone's gotta try the "5 amp'er" on a 610. The devs have indicated that the 610 reboot problems may be due to an inadequate PS.

I don't have a 610.. If someone wants to donate one to me, I'll be more than happy to spend the 20 bucks on a big PS Razz

so would I

im looking for a wrt54g v1 the one with the Mini PCI card in it.
i need for testing
***If someone wants to donate one ***
I would be verry Greatfull!!
Cool
or anay other router that somebody would like to donate pleas pm me.
the more i can get hold of the more mods an info ill be able to give Good How to's for.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
greekstile wrote:
The red line is the 2.4GHz radio. Yellow, 5GHz. The changes in the 2.4GHz radio basically just happen when I hit apply. No matter the Tx value, the router seems to just assing a high or low setting. 5GHz dropped when I set it at 1000mW, but it was fairly consistent. Came back up when I lowered it to 250mW.

Cool
Sweet it looks better than this ! Razz Razz

Is This You.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.75 KB
 Viewed:  12150 Time(s)

Is This You.JPG

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radioman193, as long as you have a power supply that is more than the stock PS will this help the situation? For example:
WRT54G v5 has 12V 500mA and now using 12V 750mA PS.

WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)

Last edited by Blazian on Thu Jul 02, 2009 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blazian wrote:
Radioman193, as long as you have a power supply that is more than the stock PS will this help the situation? For example:
WRT54G v5 has 12V 5000mA and now using 12V 750mA PS.

12V 5000mA ?? 500ma
yes it shuld help 500ma to 700ma just might not see a big difference with that small of a change.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radioman193 wrote:
Thats right a switching power supply will only deliver what the load needs upto the power supplys max and go into protect and the output will be cut off. Cool

this applies to any supply
hardwarewizard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
interesting i am having trouble finding a 12v supply with the correct size end it should be 2.1mm, 5.5mm, 12mm

most i find are 2.5mm
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
hardwarewizard wrote:
Radioman193 wrote:
Thats right a switching power supply will only deliver what the load needs upto the power supplys max and go into protect and the output will be cut off. Cool

this applies to any supply

NOT so true.
Load a analog power supply and watch the Voltage and current Drop and the heat build up and has a typical efficiency of 30-40% this power supply will not shut down! but "Drop down" caus the foldback circut will try to rampup more voltage to the regulator tranststor untill the transistor becomes totally saturated or overloaded and shorts or opens due to heat in other words "Burnup" or fuse Blows out.

Thats why you dont see a fuse on Most (SMPS) outputs
cause thay will just shutdown not just burnup.

A switching Psu (SMPS) will not drop voltage if its a good one untill almost Max Current is reached with a typical efficiency of 70-95% at that point it will simply just shut off the output.
thats why when you Overload a (SMPS) you need to Unplug it then plug it back in to start it back up or "Reset" it

A switched-mode power supply (also switching-mode power supply, SMPS, or simply switcher) is an electronic power supply unit (PSU) that incorporates a switching regulator. While a linear regulator maintains the desired output voltage by dissipating excess power in a pass power transistor, the switched-mode power supply switches a power transistor between saturation (full on) and cutoff (completely off) with a variable duty cycle whose average is the desired output voltage. It switches at a much-higher frequency (tens to hundreds of kHz) than that of the AC line (mains), which means that the transformer that it feeds can be much smaller than one connected directly to the line/mains. Switching creates a rectangular waveform that typically goes to the primary of the transformer; typically several secondaries feed rectifiers, series inductors, and filter capacitors to provide various DC outputs with low ripple.

The main advantage of this method is greater efficiency because the switching transistor dissipates little power when it is outside of its active region (i.e., when the transistor acts like a switch and either has a negligible voltage drop across it or a negligible current through it). Other advantages include smaller size and lighter weight (from the elimination of low frequency transformers which have a high weight) and lower heat generation due to higher efficiency. Disadvantages include greater complexity, the generation of high-amplitude, high-frequency energy that the low-pass filter must block to avoid electromagnetic interference (EMI), and a ripple voltage at the switching frequency and the harmonic frequencies thereof.
Cool

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
More testing this morning. As I said before, the signal is much more consistent, if not a complete constant flat line at times. You can easily push your radio to the full 251mW that DD-WRT allows and gain a stronger signal from it. With the stock PS, anything much more than 70mW, and the signal becomes very erratic and messy. There is no clear increase and actually results in a decrease in signal.

Heat is also not an issue. I left my 2 WRT600N's running at the full 251mW all night, and there is no detectable heat increase from running at the standard 70mW. I also jacked the two radios up to 1000mW via command line, and let them run like that for over an hour. Again, no heat increase, but the signal dropped quite noticeably on the 5GHz band. 5GHz doesn't seem to like much more than 250mW.

I can certainly conclude that upgrading your stock power supply is a worthwhile investment. It's quite obvious that your router is quite safely capable of utilizing more power than a stock power supply can provide.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
hardwarewizard wrote:
interesting i am having trouble finding a 12v supply with the correct size end it should be 2.1mm, 5.5mm, 12mm

most i find are 2.5mm

You would Think It shuld be Easy for a "hardwarewizard" to change a plug Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Radioman193 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:31; edited 1 time in total
Radioman193
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
greekstile wrote:
More testing this morning. As I said before, the signal is much more consistent, if not a complete constant flat line at times. You can easily push your radio to the full 251mW that DD-WRT allows and gain a stronger signal from it. With the stock PS, anything much more than 70mW, and the signal becomes very erratic and messy. There is no clear increase and actually results in a decrease in signal.

Heat is also not an issue. I left my 2 WRT600N's running at the full 251mW all night, and there is no detectable heat increase from running at the standard 70mW. I also jacked the two radios up to 1000mW via command line, and let them run like that for over an hour. Again, no heat increase, but the signal dropped quite noticeably on the 5GHz band. 5GHz doesn't seem to like much more than 250mW.

I can certainly conclude that upgrading your stock power supply is a worthwhile investment. It's quite obvious that your router is quite safely capable of utilizing more power than a stock power supply can provide.

Im happy to see your happy thats my job.
when i have some more time we will get some more power out of that thing .
Cool

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radioman193 wrote:
Im happy to see your happy thats my job.
when i have some more time we will get some more power out of that thing .
Cool

Antennas would be the next thing. You need to get some detailed pics/instructions along with a part list to get those replaced.

Either way, thanks for all the info!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can somebody test this theory on WRT54GL? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: