E2000 as managed Switch for vSphere Lab & best build x V

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Palpatine Revenge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 19:10    Post subject: E2000 as managed Switch for vSphere Lab & best build x V Reply with quote
Hello,
I have searched on the forum but I haven't found an answer to my question.
I have built a vSphere Home Lab with 2 ESXi Server and I want to setup vMotion and shared storage.
I have a Netgear Switch but unfortunately is an unmanaged switch.
Because I have also a WRT320N converted to E2000, can I use my E2000 with DD-WRT as a managed switch for setup VLAN for my ESXi Servers?

Also, what is the best build for manage VLAN setting through the GUI?
I have installed build 15943M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko but the VLAN settings are ignored if I use the web gui while if I set VLAN through telnet I have no problems.
Now I have no problem to setup vlan through command line however if I can also use the Web gui should be better.

Thank You so much
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 23:09    Post subject: Re: E2000 as managed Switch for vSphere Lab & best build Reply with quote
Palpatine Revenge wrote:
Hello,
I have searched on the forum but I haven't found an answer to my question.
I have built a vSphere Home Lab with 2 ESXi Server and I want to setup vMotion and shared storage.
I have a Netgear Switch but unfortunately is an unmanaged switch.
Because I have also a WRT320N converted to E2000, can I use my E2000 with DD-WRT as a managed switch for setup VLAN for my ESXi Servers?

Also, what is the best build for manage VLAN setting through the GUI?
I have installed build 15943M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko but the VLAN settings are ignored if I use the web gui while if I set VLAN through telnet I have no problems.
Now I have no problem to setup vlan through command line however if I can also use the Web gui should be better.

Thank You so much

You answered your own question. Yes you can use it to do VLAN's.

See the VLAN focused testing sticky at the top of the forum for your answer about the GUI.

Palpatine Revenge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer, however I have one more question.
I have done a search on google and from what I read, many people have setup ddwrt vlan and then they have configured the vlan on the managed switch.
In a few words, if I can use my DDWRT router like a managed switch why they have connected the DDWRT to the switch and then the switch to the ESXi Host and not the dDWRT router (used ike a managed switch) directly to the ESXi host?
This is what I don't understand and that I really like to comprehend.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you should not ask here why other people has made a certain configuration.
Ask them, they should know. We can't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: