How can I use DD-WRT as bridge between MiFi and WAN2 Port

speednet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 18:57    Post subject: How can I use DD-WRT as bridge between MiFi and WAN2 Port Reply with quote
I am looking to add a backup Internet connection to my home network, and I think DD-WRT can handle it -- but I'm not sure how.

I have a Netgear FVS336G Firewall (http://www.netgear.com/business/products/security/wired-VPN-firewalls/FVS336G.aspx) that has dual WAN ports, which allow you to either do load balancing or provide a backup WAN.

When my primary WAN connection goes out, I want to be able to use my MiFi card provide 3G Internet access to my existing wired network, without making any client PC networking changes. (I specifically want to connect the MiFi card to the WAN2 port of the Firewall.)

In order to do this, my gut says DD-WRT can provide an ideal middle-man service between the MiFi card's wireless network connection and the Netgear Firewall's WAN2 port.

The closest I have come to making it work is to set up the DD-WRT router in "Client" mode, configuring it to connect to the MiFi card using the wireless, and setting a static IP for the LAN segment. I believe the wireless successfully connected to the MiFi card, and the DD-WRT router could connect to the LAN (via a switch), but I cannot get the Netgear Firewall to recognize and/or utilize the MiFi-provided Internet connection when I hook the DD-WRT router to the WAN2 port.

I am thinking that I'm close, but it's testing the limits of my knowledge and capacity to keep it straight in my head what is happening.

Any assistance in making this scenario work for me would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
speednet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I might get some responses from the community on this.

Is everyone here just to talk about their particular hardware setups and the latest firmware releases? I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that this was a forum for finding solutions using DD-WRT.

I outlined a very specific scenario that others might be interested in figuring out as well. To not get a single response is disheartening, to say the least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: