how open 610n brick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
wcryer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 20:44    Post subject: WRT610N v1 Reply with quote
I've got a WRT610N v1 that currently has a blinking power light, and solid ethernet light when I have an XP laptop plugged in. I have performed the steps above and can get to the Management Mode Firmware Upgrade screen that allows me to choose firmware to flash, however, once i chose it and say apply, it waits a couple seconds and then says upgrade failed, or upgrade not finished. I am currently trying to use dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.

Where am I going wrong? I've read that it just comes down to timing, does this mean that I should just keep trying to flash it?

Also, I am running a continuous ping and get TTL=100 continually.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: realized i should have been using the mega version mentioned in the wiki. uuppps. anyway, i got in changed the password etc.
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try:

Flash the STOCK LINKSYS firmware for your router. If you are successful, then install dd-wrt again. Do Not, flash anything but stock firmware at this point. After you flash the stock firmware if successful, give it plenty of time to boot. It will boot up to three times.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:19    Post subject: Re: WRT610N v1 Reply with quote
wcryer wrote:
I ... can get to the Management Mode Firmware Upgrade screen that allows me to choose firmware to flash, however, once i chose it and say apply, it waits a couple seconds and then says upgrade failed, or upgrade not finished. I am currently trying to use dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.

UPDATE: realized i should have been using the mega version mentioned in the wiki. uuppps. anyway, i got in changed the password etc.

Glad to hear that you've figured it out.

I still would like to add this info as it was a bit similar issue: Once I got a router with stock Linksys firmware in it, I think it was an E2000 or a 160N, I can't remember now. Anyway, I was unable to upload the DD-WRT mini firmware via the web interface. Upload started then after a couple of seconds it said upload failed. No matter how many times I retried, it just wouldn't go in. As a last resort I opened up Internet Explorer and tried to upload the firmware file with that. It did work flawlessly at the very first attempt! So, when Firefox is unable to upload the firmware file then try to do it with IE! It helped me once!

ZeroMan
cliff.stokes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:41    Post subject: WRT610N V2 Blinking Power Light Reply with quote
Have a 610N v2, Trying flashing it to dd-wrt. Seems to have partially bricked the unit.

I have been able to ping it and get a response of TL=100 for the initial 4 secs or so.

I have used the tftp method and can flash a micro to it, but it does nothing else from then on but still power blinks.

After flashing (replies that it completed correctly) and with a continuous ping get tl=100. I am not sure that it really flashed. It finished rather quickly.

After waiting a while (20 min) I will power cycle it and then it will boot up with the usb and wireless lights on but the power will still blink and nothing happens (no ping response after that)

I tried to connect to it to reflash via web 192.168.1.1 but it times out. (used firefox and IE)

I have also followed the above instructions multiple times but no response but web time outs.

Please give me a hint of what I have done wrong.

I have been flashing things from years and this the first time I have had issues.

It seems like the 610 is a little more touchy than other routers.
jomatthe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
cliff.stokes,

I have the same router and brick-like behaviour. See my thread for summary: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=152030

I have yet to try more than management mode (failed to reach the mgmt screen), but will post future results. Will try this thread method next (the hold reset button down method), and if that doesn't work then serial recovery as suggested by Murrkf: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery . It's also on the peacock thread pt. II: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486 Please do share your results too!

Regards,
Jon
jomatthe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Connected by eth0, I receive continuous pings (TTL=100) when booted in recovery mode (with reset held down for first 5s after power on). Without reset held down i get two pings of TTL=100 after powering on. Having failed to flash the stock linksys firmware and successfully flashed two different trailed builds I decided to try the serial method.

Ordered a Nokia CA-42 cable off ebay and made a WAN Serial port adapter out of an old ribbon HDD cable. Connected the two wires to make my serial adapter for windows xp. Used the Prolific PL2303 driver off their website (v1.5).

Followed the serial recovery guide in the wiki and made a successful serial connection to my WRT610nV2!! However, I am unable to interrupt the boot which gets stuck as shown in the attached image.

I am using an Apple wired keyboard but it seems to be working fine with default xp drivers. i can't figure out why control-c isn't working to bring up CFE> prompt, any suggestions?

I have tried every other non-invasive recovery method and really counting on the serial route working out!

Regards,
Jon

serial screen.JPG
 Description:
screen shot of my router's output after powering on.
 Filesize:  152.85 KB
 Viewed:  8755 Time(s)

serial screen.JPG

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have about 1/10 second to hit Ctrl-C before you are too late. Only Barryware can do it solo. Get help- One plugs in the router while the other madly hits cntl-c.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: