Wireless N range improvements using repeater mode? etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
matt0401
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14    Post subject: Wireless N range improvements using repeater mode? etc Reply with quote
Hi I use WRT54GL routers flashed with DD-WRT for client bridge and repeater type setups. They work perfectly for this! I was wondering if Wireless N routers that support DD-WRT improve the range of these router-to-router links that can be made using these modes. Examples of routers I've seen mentioned on the forum that support N include:

WRT310N
WRT350N
WRT600N
WRT610N

Does anybody have any experience using routers like this? Does the range improvement in going from G to N also apply to these modes?

Thanks.
Sponsor
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will lose range on N vs G.
freddie802
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
You will lose range on N vs G.

I concur, I have seen N range not be as advertised. G definitely goes further but at lower speeds. N works faster but with less distance between the units. I have a network of 2 wrt600n's connected on wireless band wl1 (5Ghz) as the backbone and use the 2.4Ghz radios on each as AP. In addition I have wrt310n connected to wrt600n as a client bridge and a wrt54g connected to wrt600n as a wireless repeater. All works great but as mentioned wireless N speeds can only be obtained close to the wireless N AP.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will lose range (long) on G vs B. Wink
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
You will lose range (long) on G vs B. Wink

True but B is like a two tethered tin cans. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: