Using WHR-G300N as Bridge to Dlink DIR-625

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Using WHR-G300N as Bridge to Dlink DIR-625 Reply with quote
I have purchased athe Buffalo G300N and have been trying for 3 days to get it bridged to my AP Dlink DIR-625. I have followed all the settings suggested by different people on this site and have yet to be able to get bridgeing to work. I have used several different releases of the DD-WRT as well. I now have 12672 loaded. If anyone has successfully gotten this to work please let me know or if you have any suggestions that would be great too.

Thanks
Sponsor
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I got to playing more with this tonight. I put the new version released today on th G300. Was still having issues getting the bridging to work. I then discovered that with the virtual wireless interface set that the bridging worked with wireless clients but not with wired clients. So I decided to remove the virtual interface and then wired clients were bridged successfully but no bridging for wireless since there was no virtual interface. So does anyone know if this router can do both. I have been uncessfull at getting both to work.

thanks
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:24    Post subject: all working now Reply with quote
I now have it all working. Had to use mac cloning and make sure each mac address was unique. The problem was that the LAN and Wireless MAC were the same. As soon as I made them different, ie: changing the wireless mac with cloning both wireless and wired bridging started working.
mchargue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31    Post subject: Re: all working now Reply with quote
OK! I finally got my WHR-G300N flashed using the 'TFTP32' program to D/L the 8/19/09 DD-WRT (12672). And, just so you folks know, that worked from a WinVista (x64) system.

Now I am trying to setup the WHR-G300N as a 'client bridge' between a trendwest TEW-652BRP and an Xbox360. The TEW-652BRFP is working fine - I'm using it now from a wireless laptop - as a DSL gateway/router wireless AP, but I don't seem to be able to get the WHR-G300N to work with it.

The TEW-652BRFP is at at 192.168.2.3, and is a DHCP server. The WHR-G300N is 192.168.2.4, and is supposed to use
192.168.2.3 as its gateway, and local DNS.

I had expected to have the TEW-652BRFP act as a DHCP server to the Xbox360 through the WHR-G300N, but no dice. I have to fix the IP of my laptop (to 192.168.2.201) before I can link up to it (at 192.168.2.4). Until I do that, my laptop is issued an IP of 192.168.11.2 automatically by the WHR-G300N. (!)

Now 'msalvini' had noted that two of his MAC addresses were the same, and that caused his issue. Not so mine; all three are different.

Now some of you folks live & breathe this stuff, and I'm hoping you can help me out with this.

The WHR-G300N is setup as...

WAN: Off

LAN:
MAC Address 00:1D:73:xxxxx
IP Address 192.168.2.4
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.2.3
Local DNS 192.168.2.3

WLAN:
MAC Address00:1D:73:BB:zzzzz
Radio Radio is On
Mode Repeater Bridge
Network N-Only
SSID 'myssid'
wireless Channel 6 (2437 Mhz)
TX Power 71 mW
Rate 144 Mb/s
Encryption - Interface wl0 Enabled, WEP
PPTP Status Disconnected

Services:
DHCP Server Disabled
WRT-radauth AP
WRT-rflow Disabled
MAC-upd Disabled
Sputnik Agent Disabled

Router:
Router NameWHR-G300N
Router Model Buffalo WHR-G300N
LAN MAC 00:1D:73:11:xxxxx
WAN MAC 00:1D:73:11:yyyyy
Wireless MAC 00:1D:73:BB:zzzzz
WAN IP Disabled
LAN IP 192.168.2.4

Wireless:
Radio Radio is On
Mode Repeater Bridge
Network N-Only
SSID 'myssid'
Channel 6 (2437 Mhz)
TX Power 71 mW
Rate 144 Mb/s

Wireless Packet Info:
Received (RX) 7848 OK, 73 errors
Transmitted (TX) 2615 OK, no error

Finally, there is a virtual interface defined on the WHR-G300N with a SSID different than 'myssid' above.

Whew!
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing I had to do before the bridge would connect is enable mac cloning. Even after I had everything working if I disabled mac cloning it would quit. Also if you are using mac filtering on your AP make sure all macs of you G300N are in there, or just make it simpler and remove mac filtering until you get it working.
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
One more thing is under the security setting make sure you have disabled spi.
mchargue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did diable SPI, thanks.
mchargue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
msalvini wrote:
One thing I had to do before the bridge would connect is enable mac cloning. Even after I had everything working if I disabled mac cloning it would quit. Also if you are using mac filtering on your AP make sure all macs of you G300N are in there, or just make it simpler and remove mac filtering until you get it working.

I also turned on MAC cloning, but it had no effect. It's something of a mystery, all those various settings. I have, though, followed the ones pertinent to setting up a repeater bridge, it's just not taking.

Still working on it, though. Any help would be appreciated.

Pat
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you assign wan port to switch

Wan Mac is different than your router mac

under advanced routing you have set to router not gateway

Under wireless that the channel is same on both ap and bridge

and that your wireless security matches your ap

Under advanced settings of wireless you chose shared key and not auto for both ap and bridge

let me know if this helps
AlpineMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to get Repeater Bridge working...but haven't had success yet. You may have seen my posts regarding my experience. One thing I haven't tried is to enable MAC cloning. What did you clone your WAN and Wifi MAC's to?

Also, we're all troubleshooting here, it would really help out a lot if folks don't mask out their MAC addresses when they post their config settings. Once we get this MAC addressing conflict/collisions ironed out, you can mask away. Rolling Eyes
mchargue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
AlpineMan wrote:
I'm trying to get Repeater Bridge working...but haven't had success yet. You may have seen my posts regarding my experience. One thing I haven't tried is to enable MAC cloning. What did you clone your WAN and Wifi MAC's to?

Also, we're all troubleshooting here, it would really help out a lot if folks don't mask out their MAC addresses when they post their config settings. Once we get this MAC addressing conflict/collisions ironed out, you can mask away. Rolling Eyes

1)Make sure you assign wan port to switch
Check

2)Wan Mac is different than your router mac
WAN MAC: 00:1D:73:11:11:13
LAN MAC: 00:1D:73:11:11:12
Wireless MAC: 00:1D:73:11:11:14

3)under advanced routing you have set to router not gateway
Under 'Advanced Routing', 'Operating Mode', the 'Operating Mode' setting is now "Router"

This also made available the 'Dynamic Routing', and the setting 'Interface' is "Disabled"
Other settings are: "WAN", "LAN & WLAN" and "Both" - which should be used?

4) Under wireless that the channel is same on both ap and bridge
Both are Channel 11

5) and that your wireless security matches your ap
Both use WEP with the same keys in the same order.

6) Under advanced settings of wireless you chose shared key and not auto for both ap and bridge
Check

let me know if this helps
Nope, not yet...

Pat
AlpineMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
mchargue wrote:

2)Wan Mac is different than your router mac
WAN MAC: 00:1D:73:11:11:13
LAN MAC: 00:1D:73:11:11:12
Wireless MAC: 00:1D:73:11:11:14

Those MAC addresses are bogus. This is what's preventing the unit from working right. If you have more than 1 WHR-G300N like I do, having those MAC addresses in all units causes collissions.
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have 2 G300N then that may be an issue, I only have 1 and have it working with MACs similar to those. Check the MAC for your WAN against the MAC for your router, On the status page there is a router tab and it shows a MAC there. IF it matches the WAN MAC then change the WAN MAC to :11 on the cloning page. Also on the dynamic routing I have it set to both. The bridge also took a while to sync to my AP. But I have had it running now for 2 days with no issues. 1 other thing is I have the latest build. It was issued on 8/31. It is under downloads -> others -> eko -> BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 -> 08-31-09-r12759 -> WHR-G300N. I used WHR-G300N-webflash.bin.

You may also want to remove the Virtual interface with your second SSID and just focus on getting the wired side to work first. Once the Wired side works you can add the Virtual back and test the wireless.

I had to play with a bunch of the settings and it took me 10 - 12 hours over 5 days to get it working.
mchargue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
msalvini wrote:
If you have 2 G300N then that may be an issue, I only have 1 and have it working with MACs similar to those. Check the MAC for your WAN against the MAC for your router, On the status page there is a router tab and it shows a MAC there. IF it matches the WAN MAC then change the WAN MAC to :11 on the cloning page. Also on the dynamic routing I have it set to both. The bridge also took a while to sync to my AP. But I have had it running now for 2 days with no issues. 1 other thing is I have the latest build. It was issued on 8/31. It is under downloads -> others -> eko -> BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 -> 08-31-09-r12759 -> WHR-G300N. I used WHR-G300N-webflash.bin.

You may also want to remove the Virtual interface with your second SSID and just focus on getting the wired side to work first. Once the Wired side works you can add the Virtual back and test the wireless.

I had to play with a bunch of the settings and it took me 10 - 12 hours over 5 days to get it working.

msalvini;

I'm using only a single WHR-G300N, so MAC collisions between routers shouldn't be an issue. That said, the WAN MAC and LAN MAC are different - as was listed in an earlier topic reply.

When I turned on 'MAC Cloning', I think the address listed was for the Wireless MAC, and it changed the last 2 digits to '14'. (but I'm away from my router, and working from memory here) Frankly, I don't even know what this does.

Under dynamic routing I have also set it to both.

"The bridge also took a while to sync to my AP..." That's begging a question; How long? Also, do you have AP and G300N set to 'N-only' mode? (which I do)

I am also using the same build as you, the BrainSlayer 'r12759' one.

I will remove the virtual interface with the second SSID. Didn't think of this, but it does reduce variables in the test.

"I had to play with a bunch of the settings and it took me 10 - 12 hours over 5 days to get it working." Heh. I'm 3 days in, and about 8 hours. Nothing like technography to simplify your life, yes?

Seriously, though, there are a load of settings to walk through. I appreciate the chance to match yours, and to try and short-circuit the 'discovery' process.

Later - Pat
msalvini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
see attachment for my config
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: