Is there an FAQ on upgrading to sp2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
BMXdad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:47    Post subject: Is there an FAQ on upgrading to sp2? Reply with quote
Running SP1 and things seem to be running ok for my needs. Why should I upgrade to sp2 other then trying to stay current?
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want to know, what has changed from dd-wrt v23 SP1 to SP2, you could take a look at the change log.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Funtested_alpha_unstable%2Fdd-wrt.v23%20SP2%2F&download=changelog.txt

This - changelog.txt - can be found in the DD-WRT Download-Area at:
Download -> untested_alpha_unstable -> dd-wrt.v23 SP2 at the bottom of the page.

Wolfgang
BMXdad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 20:14    Post subject: Change log for dummies Reply with quote
I have looked at the change log file several times top to bottom and I don't understand the order of events. It is a list of things that have been addess ed. I just want a simple sp2 now does this where as sp1 needed it fixed.

Or if your using sp1 and have a problem with blah then you should upgrade to sp2 which blah was addressed.

I am a tech type and there are different levels of involvement with any component.

Wifi is a good thing and I don't manage a hotspot nor do I feen the neighborhood. Just my home. So it is inportant that I not give the neighbors grief and meet my needs.

If I take changelog as a FAQ then it looks like major changes to the firmware instead of lots of minor fixes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 20:23    Post subject: I looked at you link and got this! You got to be kidding! Reply with quote
v23-SP2:
big thanx for pierre belanger, Eko, LawnMowerGuy1,Sylvian Bothorel for providing my many patches

13.09.2006:
0001741 [DD-WRT v23] ebtables support broken
What ebtables?
0001687 [DD-WRT v23] Access Restrictions doesn't work correct
0001763 [DD-WRT v23] DHCP Client Table No Longer Shows Up On Status Tab/LAN Tab?
0000789 [DD-WRT v24] Access Restriction time bug
Is this not for version 24?

Again I am a Video tech and don't know what the 0001757 refers to. This is some kind of log file of changes made or addressed?

0001757 [DD-WRT v24] upnp reports incorrect router info
0001742 [DD-WRT v23] Problems with smbmount in build 6/9/2006
0001744 [DD-WRT v23] crash resolved (administrator) 09-09-06 Installing 2006-09-06 on Asus DeLuxe crashes.

How do I translate this into info I understand? And can use to make a decision about upgrading?

But thanks for the reply that is a start!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, so first there were people complaining that the changelog wasn't being updated for every release, now we have someone complaining because they don't understand the changelog.

The main thing with SP2 is radio scheduling. That and general improvements to stuff. But hey, if you don't think you should upgrade, and have to ask why, then don't... just don't clutter up the forum asking everyone why you should. No one cares.
Striker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 21:15    Post subject: Re: I looked at you link and got this! You got to be kiddin Reply with quote
BMXdad wrote:
v23-SP2:
big thanx for pierre belanger, Eko, LawnMowerGuy1,Sylvian Bothorel for providing my many patches

13.09.2006:
0001741 [DD-WRT v23] ebtables support broken
What ebtables?
0001687 [DD-WRT v23] Access Restrictions doesn't work correct
0001763 [DD-WRT v23] DHCP Client Table No Longer Shows Up On Status Tab/LAN Tab?
0000789 [DD-WRT v24] Access Restriction time bug
Is this not for version 24?

Again I am a Video tech and don't know what the 0001757 refers to. This is some kind of log file of changes made or addressed?

0001757 [DD-WRT v24] upnp reports incorrect router info
0001742 [DD-WRT v23] Problems with smbmount in build 6/9/2006
0001744 [DD-WRT v23] crash resolved (administrator) 09-09-06 Installing 2006-09-06 on Asus DeLuxe crashes.

How do I translate this into info I understand? And can use to make a decision about upgrading?

But thanks for the reply that is a start!

Ok, I'll try and be a little more helpful as well.. The 7 digit number is a ticket number for the bugtracker. And yes, v24 updates are there as well so they can use the same changelog for both versions. Saves time. Ebtables is something in the firmware. I don't know what some of this stuff is either, but it's good to know that it's working correctly.
bigjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is QOS better? Is there a comprehensive :faq: (not the wiki...) that shows exactly how to create multiple restriction rules combined with QOS?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 0:23    Post subject: I don't know what Big John is talking about! Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. And from where I sit my router is working the way it should so I still ask should I upgrade to sp2, wait for v24 sp1? :)

If it aint broke don't fixit kinda thinking.

I have lots of stuff to keep me busy so don't have lots of time to play router tweak to perfect.

Flaws in vunarbility and Failure are top concerns. So I guess for now I will move on to another project. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 15:43    Post subject: SP2 Upgrade FAQ Still A Good Idea Reply with quote
While the specific thread re: changelog is one dimension of this question ... I think there is at least one other that is relevant. I've reviewed the DD-WRT help, wiki, and the forum and can't find any information about the general steps to move to SP2.

I've been using v23 SP1 vpn since June. There are a few bug fixes that would be an improvement (e.g. the LAN DHCP client table). While the approach to flashing from the original device firmware to DD-WRT is well documented, the process for moving from one DD-WRT firmware to another is not as clear.

I have a fairly complex configuration on the router which I backup regularly. However, the Web UI states that I should only restore configurations for the DD-WRT 'firmware and model'. Does this mean the specific firmware version/build (i.e. v23 SP1 vpn) or the just the firmware flavor (i.e. vpn)? Or something else?

If I do an upgrade to SP2, do I have to configure my router from factory default? Using the initial flash approach I would. Not something I want to discover after the fact.

Can I do an upgrade without having to manually re-create my entire configuration?

Thanks, Mac.
Striker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 18:10    Post subject: Re: SP2 Upgrade FAQ Still A Good Idea Reply with quote
macticus wrote:

I have a fairly complex configuration on the router which I backup regularly. However, the Web UI states that I should only restore configurations for the DD-WRT 'firmware and model'. Does this mean the specific firmware version/build (i.e. v23 SP1 vpn) or the just the firmware flavor (i.e. vpn)? Or something else?

If I do an upgrade to SP2, do I have to configure my router from factory default? Using the initial flash approach I would. Not something I want to discover after the fact.

Can I do an upgrade without having to manually re-create my entire configuration?

Do this:

1. Reset to default settings.
2. Upgrade to SP2
3. Hard reset (reset button for 30seconds)
4. Then restore your settings via the backup file. You should be fine.

Going from version to version (upgrading, not downgrading) shouldn't be a problem if you follow those steps. However, I would not use the backup file when switching "flavors", as you put it, as the NVRAM is going to have different options.
JRH
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:17    Post subject: Re: SP2 Upgrade FAQ Still A Good Idea Reply with quote
Striker wrote:
Do this:

1. Reset to default settings.
2. Upgrade to SP2
3. Hard reset (reset button for 30seconds)
4. Then restore your settings via the backup file. You should be fine.

Going from version to version (upgrading, not downgrading) shouldn't be a problem if you follow those steps. However, I would not use the backup file when switching "flavors", as you put it, as the NVRAM is going to have different options.

Would this also be safe to do when moving from SP2 to the special edition with extended QoS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: