Setting Up WRT54G as Repeater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
NetSpeedZ wrote:
And that's exactly what I've done (and actually written in a previous post to this thread), i.e., perform a hard reset and set up as a repeater. I get the same result.

Understand?

Yea... Believe me I understand. I've seen it on TV a couple of times.

This is why I asked if you understand.. You have fun now..

NetSpeedZ wrote:
Thanks for the information, however, it didn't work. Your suggestion is missing some information, i.e., when do you perform this step; before or after defining the IP/Gateway and disabling the Firewall?

barryware wrote:
you need to do the "hard reset" before beginning the configuration. As said, when switching modes, you need to hard reset before you change the mode.

So if you are configuring a client and you see that it works and you now want the device to be a repeater, you must hard reset, then configure as a repeater. Don't configure as a client, then just switch modes to repeater..

Understand?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hard reset, get the password page. Reconfigure from scratch setting it up directly as a repeater if that is what you want. Are you after a repeater, or a repeater bridge?

See note 15 of the peacock announcement.

You indicate that the difference is only wired and wireless; you are setting up the separate ssid, right?

If it doesn't work, post screenshots of you basic setup, wireless, wireless encryption and status screen on you bridged router and primary router.

Repeater works, rock solid and stable for every build back to 110xx. So yes, you are making some error in configuring.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you setting under the Setup>Advanced routing>Operating Mode (Router)? And this definitely is user error somewhere. Alot of us don't have your background or maybe even education who are trying to help you. Shocked Laughing So I understand your frustration. Embarassed Laughing
WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Performed all recommendations in your post. Same result - No internet access in repeater mode.

Encryption is disabled.

Screen shot images attached.

Murrkf wrote:
Hard reset, get the password page. Reconfigure from scratch setting it up directly as a repeater if that is what you want. Are you after a repeater, or a repeater bridge?

You indicate that the difference is only wired and wireless; you are setting up the separate ssid, right?

If it doesn't work, post screenshots of you basic setup, wireless, wireless encryption and status screen on you bridged router and primary router.

Repeater works, rock solid and stable for every build back to 110xx. So yes, you are making some error in configuring.

Host - Status Wireless Screen.jpg
 Description:
Host - Status Wireless Screen
 Filesize:  176.46 KB
 Viewed:  14435 Time(s)

Host - Status Wireless Screen.jpg

Host - Status Screen.jpg
 Description:
Host - Status Screen
 Filesize:  193.88 KB

Host - Status Screen.jpg

Host - Basic Setup.jpg
 Description:
Host - Basic Setup
 Filesize:  192.87 KB

Host - Basic Setup.jpg

NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
More images attached.

Murrkf wrote:

Host - Wireless Basic Setup.jpg
 Description:
Host - Wireless Basic Setup
 Filesize:  193.32 KB
 Viewed:  14433 Time(s)

Description:
Host - Wireless Basic Setup
 Filesize:  193.32 KB

Host - System Information.jpg
 Description:
Host - System Information
 Filesize:  152.75 KB

Host - System Information.jpg

NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last of the images.

Murrkf wrote:

Repeater - Wireless Basic Settings.jpg
 Description:
Repeater - Wireless Basic Settings
 Filesize:  191.42 KB
 Viewed:  14430 Time(s)

Repeater - Wireless Basic Settings.jpg

Repeater - Status Screen.jpg
 Description:
Repeater - Status Screen
 Filesize:  186.35 KB
 Viewed:  14430 Time(s)

Repeater - Status Screen.jpg

NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure I understand your question. Are you saying there is a setup option, 'Router' that requires setting under Advanced routing --> Operting Mode?

Blazian wrote:
Are you setting under the Setup>Advanced routing>Operating Mode (Router)? And this definitely is user error somewhere. Alot of us don't have your background or maybe even education who are trying to help you. Shocked Laughing So I understand your frustration. Embarassed Laughing
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get a recommended build on both routers. That Sept/08 build is old. There was a problem with DHCP forwarding and I think it might have been fixed AFTER that build.

I'll take a further look at your shots, but you have cut off important info. I need to see the strength of the connection and know which mac address is the primary router so I can identify the connection strength. You don't have to post the mac address itself if you are reluctant, but post the strength of the signal.

Turn down your TX to 50 on your primary too. Likely doing nothing for you but can cause grief.

Don't worry about setting the router to ROUTER mode. That just disables nat.

Further, why do you have no WAN IP in your primary router?

And, I need the other screenshots too. Wireless security, and repeater basic setup....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."

Last edited by Murrkf on Fri Aug 07, 2009 21:39; edited 1 time in total
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ack timing aught'a be turned off in the repeater if it is turned off on the host.

repeater also needs gateway, lan ip, etc filled in on the basic setup page which is not shown.

There is no clear definition of which "mode" is sought (repeater, repeater bridge). Setups are a bit different. It has been said that "both" were tried unsuccessfully.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both links I used to set up for repeater mode did not say anything about defining the gateway and LAN IP, thus, I didn't enter it.

What would really, really be helpful if someone could put together an ACCURATE, step by step tutorial (that has been completely tested) to setup a WRT54G as a repeater. I've tried a half dozen supposed tutorials on this very forum; none of them work. This piece meal stuff doesn't work. It lends itself to cause problems in and of itself.

I would like repeater mode but if I can get repeater bridge to work, I'd use it just as quick.

HardReset wrote:
ack timing aught'a be turned off in the repeater if it is turned off on the host.

repeater also needs gateway, lan ip, etc filled in on the basic setup page which is not shown.

There is no clear definition of which "mode" is sought (repeater, repeater bridge). Setups are a bit different. It has been said that "both" were tried unsuccessfully.
HardReset
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have been given two links to the wiki. In repeater bridge mode (the link provided by shadow), step 4 clearly explains setting lan ip and gateway as well as other settings on the basic setup page.

These are the same tut's I used to set my repeaters up changing the ip's to suit my network.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like I said, I've tried these tutorial's with no results except in Client Bridge mode. The image with the undefined IP's was the last troubleshooting step I took, i.e., I removed the IP information to see what would happen. I just reconfirmed that defining these did not give any positive results.

HardReset wrote:
You have been given two links to the wiki. In repeater bridge mode (the link provided by shadow), step 4 clearly explains setting lan ip and gateway as well as other settings on the basic setup page.

These are the same tut's I used to set my repeaters up changing the ip's to suit my network.
NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recommended build? This was the build recommended to work for setting up a repeater in another thread. Do you have a download link to a newer recommended build?

Not sure what screen you need for the signal strength and I'm not going to guess (there's been a lot of guess work in this procedure that should not have been if it was just documented in the tutorial on what to do). Would appreciate the name of the exact screen you need for this.

Don't know why the WAN IP is showing 0.0.0.0 . I was curious about that as well. My 'guess' would be ther reason for this is the primary router is attached to a port on the DSL modem. I did have the modem set up as a transparent bridge with the primary WRT54G attached to it, but that didn't work either. Same exact problem; nothing wireless, but the client mode did work.

Security is completely disabled, so I didn't even bother taking a screen shot. I did attach a screen shot of the repeater basic setting screen to the previous post but I'll attach another one.

Murrkf wrote:
Get a recommended build on both routers. That Sept/08 build is old. There was a problem with DHCP forwarding and I think it might have been fixed AFTER that build.

I'll take a further look at your shots, but you have cut off important info. I need to see the strength of the connection and know which mac address is the primary router so I can identify the connection strength. You don't have to post the mac address itself if you are reluctant, but post the strength of the signal.

Turn down your TX to 50 on your primary too. Likely doing nothing for you but can cause grief.

Don't worry about setting the router to ROUTER mode. That just disables nat.

Further, why do you have no WAN IP in your primary router?

And, I need the other screenshots too. Wireless security, and repeater basic setup....

Repeater - Basic Setup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.89 KB
 Viewed:  14389 Time(s)

Repeater - Basic Setup.jpg

Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I think that we should stop right here people. This is blatantly just a lot of typing and no reading involved. Sorry NetSeepdz, but you should slow down and read the Announcements now on the top of this Forum before going any further. It will help you tremendously and everyone else by us not having to "repeat" ourselves over and over again. We all want to help, but if you are asking for a link to newer builds then you have not read any of the Announcements. Mad Sad Embarassed Laughing
WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
NetSpeedZ
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see no announcement at the top of the forum screen regarding download links. The only announcement I see is an ad for converting HD videos. Announcement that says what? All I did was ask for a link. If I would have seen an announcement, I would have read it.

Blazian wrote:
Ok I think that we should stop right here people. This is blatantly just a lot of typing and no reading involved. Sorry NetSeepdz, but you should slow down and read the Announcements now on the top of this Forum before going any further. It will help you tremendously and everyone else by us not having to "repeat" ourselves over and over again. We all want to help, but if you are asking for a link to newer builds then you have not read any of the Announcements. Mad Sad Embarassed Laughing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: