DD-WRT as a Main Router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rickW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:51    Post subject: DD-WRT as a Main Router? Reply with quote
This is a rather long story but I think requires an explanation from our GURUS.

I have a WTR54GS Travelers Router that I carry with me to "steal" signail while I am in hotels or the like.

This is a "feature" of V24, right?

I configure the router as a Client or repeter bridge. I dont care what is on the hides as far as the hotel main router.

I do the same with a WRT54GL in other places, but basically doing the same with equal configuration, client or repeater.

Now, here is the problem. DD-WRT is suppose to ignore what is the main router ... but it does not ignore if it is a DD-WRT !!!!!!!!

It so happened that I bought a WRT54G-TM in eBay. Beautiful router... I have a couple of them. I installed EKO 12548 mega... nice and stable pre-SP2 build and replaced my main router (a WRT54GL)

Suddenly I lost the connection with a WRT54g V5 or V6 (cant recall) that has been acting as a client bridge a few feet away in my daughters room.

So I said... I got a faulty TM... and wrote the vendor who is a power seller in eBay and well known for his good service and quality itmes.

This is not possible, I said.. and went to my daughters client bridge which had EKO 12360 micro installed and upgraded to tha same I have in the TM, EKO 12548 ... adn VOILA !! got the connection back !!.

Question GURUS: Why if DD-WRT V24 can "steal" signals from whatever is in the hides... it cannot "steal" the signal from another DD-WRT whatever build is installed in it??

Thanks for your response.
Sponsor
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some builds are better than others, could be an issue of 12360.
rickW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
No Frogs, I use 12360 in my travelers router without a problem.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just said that the "issue" appeared now, like a conflict between builds or some change that has been made. This is my theory but you can wait for a better answer.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you are making presumptions that are not valid.

It is true that sometimes (rarely) a client bridge cannot link to another router model, but this is not build dependent. Likely, you did not have the configuration set properly to link the two routers. I suspect you failed to do a proper hard reset or other such configuration issue.

Put the same build back on and try again. Follow the setup instructions in the announcements.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
rickW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me explain because I think you did not read my post thoroughly or maybe I did not explain myself.

I apologize for the length of my post but I was trying to make the point that the feature IS build dependent as I have proven to be:

I installed the TM (came with DD-WRT installed but, following the Peacock thread - I always do - I have never bricked a piece nor had a problem with any installation) I upgraded to the latest EKO Build and the OTHER router failed to connect. ( it was working perfectly for almost two months with the previous main router that the TM replaced ).

The previous main router was a GL with the same build as the bridge. (see above for details) and both worked together as a tango dance.

So, I went to the Client Bridge and installed the SAME build I installed in TM (latest EKO Build which I am using now) and voilá, the client bridge, now with the build changed ( forgive me for being repetitive but I think I have to).. connected and now everything is working fine.

I know Murrkf that you wrote and maintain the Peacock Thread and we all appreciate how helpful it is, and believe me, I even drink the bottle of beer and everithing and thanks to it, I have never had a prob as I said, so needles to remind me about it (at least in my case)

Regards
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read your post, and you were clear, but all you showed is that when you installed the build you didn't get a connection.

So...If you want to test your theory, put the previous eko build back on the client, and see if it works THIS time. No one else had this issue, so, I do think it is likely a configuration issue. Do a power cycle of both routers.

That being said, I do think 12548 is a good build and better than the 123xx builds.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
rickW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf:

Let me tell you what I did,

Original Setup:
1) Main Router: WRT54GL Standard build EKO 12307
2) Client Bridghe WERT54G V5 Micro Build EKO 12307
System stable...etc
Client bridge connected at 54 MB/sec 48 DB at some 24 feet,

Changes:

1) Was replaced by a WRT54G-TM installed Mega 12548 NEWD as per Peacock thread
Client bridge signal went down to 7db and transmission at 2Mb/s . Same distance, no changes in client bridge
2) Flashed mega 12584 VINT - Signal undetectable by either router and by inSSIDer, client bridge disconnected.
3) Went back and returned to 1)
4) Flashed micro 12548 in client bridge
5) Reconfigure.. Signal detected by both routers at 48% Quality TX rate at 54MB /sec
6) Went back and reinstalled 12307 in client bridge, same problem, signal udetectable. Tx rate 2 MB/sec
7) REinstalled and configured micro 12548 in client bridge. Signal went back to normal (48 % Quality and 54 MB/sec

Yes, I agree, this things happen only to me, but I can recreate them

Regards.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
rickW wrote:
Murrkf:

Let me tell you what I did,

Original Setup:
1) Main Router: WRT54GL Standard build EKO 12307
2) Client Bridghe WERT54G V5 Micro Build EKO 12307
System stable...etc
Client bridge connected at 54 MB/sec 48 DB at some 24 feet,

Changes:

1) Was replaced by a WRT54G-TM installed Mega 12548 NEWD as per Peacock thread
Client bridge signal went down to 7db and transmission at 2Mb/s . Same distance, no changes in client bridge
2) Flashed mega 12584 VINT - Signal undetectable by either router and by inSSIDer, client bridge disconnected.
3) Went back and returned to 1)
4) Flashed micro 12548 in client bridge
5) Reconfigure.. Signal detected by both routers at 48% Quality TX rate at 54MB /sec
6) Went back and reinstalled 12307 in client bridge, same problem, signal udetectable. Tx rate 2 MB/sec
7) REinstalled and configured micro 12548 in client bridge. Signal went back to normal (48 % Quality and 54 MB/sec

Yes, I agree, this things happen only to me, but I can recreate them

Regards.

Try 12307 on the TM.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will do tomorrow.. got a new TM today. Will post results.

Regards
rickW
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, here is the result:

I installed BS 12533 mega special in the main router and the two work perfectly.. so.... EKO 12307 seems to be the problem.

BTW, I am impressed in the signal stability of 12533 something that I had not seen in any in the EKO builds.

The line in inSSIDer is completely horizontal without a glitch.

Cheers !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: